Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showcase of Non-Indy Federations

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
UWS Cowboy said:
One last trim. It measures right over 2 and a quarter.
IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Youre doing a great job!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
dschonn said:
Did you make the brim the same all the way around, or is it still dimensional?

I have a Fed IV coming, and I'm thinking I might have to trim the brim to be able to wear it without looking, in the words of one poster on this forum, like a pez dispenser. I'm wondering whether to retain the dimensional cut or make it "circular".

It is still dimensional. I really like the look of wide brim hats, but not so much on me because I've got a skinny frame.. I'd definitely rock them if I was down south again or in the outback.

Since the trim I've shaped the brim more and sandpapered it.

jpbales

Practically Family
i can't imagine trimming the brim down on my Fed IV just because the crown is so huge it seems like that would only make it look bigger! that's just me though

metropd

One Too Many
I'm going to keep the brim wide like I always do when I get the IV Fed Deluxe. I maybe skinny but then so was Sinatra when he was young.;)

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
I'm going to keep the brim wide like I always do when I get the IV Fed Deluxe. I maybe skinny but then so was Sinatra when he was young.;)
Which color? I just l-o-o-o-v-e my moonstone Fed IV Deluxe.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
Skinny is fine, but Sinatra is more known for his later small brimmed hats.
Only because the stingy brims are more recent. This postage stamp shows a straight-crown, wide-brimmed one from when he was young and skinny. Sinatra's fedoras tracked the fashions from the '30s onward.

sinatrastamp.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
Fed IV Deluxe in Dark Brown.

Here are my feeble attempts at a teardrop (I think) bash on my new Federation IV deluxe, rather picture heavy post, sorry. No one has called me Indy yet.
FedIVDB3.jpg

FedIVDB2.jpg

FedIVDB4.jpg

And how it looks on, casually...
FedIVDB1.jpg

...and a bit more dressed up.
dapperchap.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Well, the Carbon Grey & TawnyFawn arrived yesterday.
The brims are slightly wider than my black Fed...
I've bashed them & chose the CG for a walk in the rain to work today.
Its a little darker than I had expected. I might even consider trying a moonstone later this spring.

The bash is similar to the diamond of my black Fed.
3292189532_f625b72904.jpg

dschonn

Familiar Face
MrBern said:
The bash is similar to the diamond of my black Fed.
3292189532_f625b72904.jpg

I like the shape of that diamond, particularly how far back the two side points are. I might do something similar to mine, when it arrives, though I doubt I shall be able to resist some nice long side dents and a pinch for the front. The whole thing looks so angular. Worn correctly, this hat will part crowds and blaze trails.

ninjabathy

New in Town
New FedIV!

Hi everyone! I'm back!

I've just taken delivery of my brand-spankin' new Fed IV! I've tried to do a teardrop type of bash, and I think I've got it pretty much down. The centre tear-drop bit isn't quite as smooth as I'd like, though (it's a bit lumpy where the centre-bump meets the swoop down from the sides)... Any tips/comments/advice? Thanks so much, everyone!

Loads of pictures (sorry)....

3297452290_3404d2c657_b.jpg

3297450466_8e542657c1_b.jpg

3296631487_a4fbcf74d7_b.jpg

3296633383_f5ef15db60_b.jpg

And one on my noggin for luck... (I hadn't properly sorted the brim in this shot, but it's fine now!!)

3297448812_c449360af7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.. I hope the sight of my face wasn't too traumatic for anyone! :p

kaosharper1

One Too Many
ninjabathy said:
Hi everyone! I'm back!

I've just taken delivery of my brand-spankin' new Fed IV! I've tried to do a teardrop type of bash, and I think I've got it pretty much down. The centre tear-drop bit isn't quite as smooth as I'd like, though (it's a bit lumpy where the centre-bump meets the swoop down from the sides)... Any tips/comments/advice? Thanks so much, everyone!

Loads of pictures (sorry)....

Thanks for looking.. I hope the sight of my face wasn't too traumatic for anyone! :p

Looks fine to me. Remember, its hand bashed so it won't be perfect. Look at pictures of Bogie's hats and you'll see lots of imperfections.

And don't apologize for pictures. Around here its the more the better!

ninjabathy

New in Town
Thanks all of you! :) That's good to hear it'll smoothen out. I've been wearing it all day, taking it on and off and knocking it about etc. and it even seems to be smoothening a little bit already, which is great! It's also conforming nicely to me noggin already, too (even quicker than the deluxe, I reckon - I think this bash probably suits my head better than the indy bash).

So... I bought this thing as a beater so I wouldn't mess up my deluxe too much in rain and stuff, but I think it's my new fave hat! Woohoo! This one's going to see some wear, I can tell. :)

Thanks guys!

dschonn

Familiar Face
I've posted these photos in the Akubra Overload thread already, and the hat has a thread of its own, but it belongs here as well, so here goes.

3312252246_b215fd4c74.jpg

3311422991_9a85ed111d.jpg

3311423041_08b151e637.jpg

I have already changed the rake a little, and I'm going to keep working on the side dents and brim. I figure I'll have this hat for a while, so it's okay if it's not perfect right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran