Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking an A-2 to size

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriarTuck

New in Town
Recently I purchased an A-2....but since then I have lost a lot of weight. My question is.....since I have sewn unit patches all over the jacket, if I give it the hot water shrinking treatment now, will those patches cause me a problem as the leather shrinks?.....Thanks, Paul

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But horesehide shrinks less than others

Do you have evidence to prove this based on comparison with goatskin, steer hide and sheepskin? If you wet your hh A2 and then tumble dry it it will shrink, the zipper tape will become distorted and the leather patches will also shrink by around 10% depending on the heat of the drier, thickness of the hh etc.. This is based on personal experience. Just sell the jacket and buy one which fits.

aming06

New in Town
Hello,"too much coffee", it's not my experience. I got this from my Japanese friend, who holds four A-2 jackets, Buzz rickson's, The Few and Real Mccoy HH and a Eastman goatleather one. You know the Japanese they like the slim fit stuffs crazily, so he did the shirinking treatment to Buzz and Eastman and found the difference. Well...I wanna say both shirinked, but goat one shirinked more. And another information to share with you is that in many cases HH thickness of A-2 of Japanese makers is higher than that of ELC, and the Japanese HH are much harder. I have a Buzz one, but I will never do the shirinking to it. I think it's better to buy a new one.

Last edited:

aming06

New in Town
Hi, aswatland, u a right, both will shrink in commen sense, but HH shrinks less. I didn't do it, my friend did. But as you said, it's better to buy another one.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello,"too much coffee", it's not my experience. I got this from my Japanese friend, who holds four A-2 jackets, Buzz rickson's, The Few and Real Mccoy HH and a Eastman goatleather one. You know the Japanese they like the slim fit stuffs crazily, so he did the shirinking treatment to Buzz and Eastman and found the difference. Well...I wanna say both shirinked, but goat one shirinked more. And another information to share with you is that in many cases HH thickness of A-2 of Japanese makers is higher than that of ELC, and the Japanese HH are much harder. I have a Buzz one, but I will never do the shirinking to it. I think it's better to buy a new one.

I was hoping for a scientific answer-in short a fair test using different types of leather of the same size, weight etc.... Do the variations between different types of hh and goat make generalisations about shrinkage possible?

aming06

New in Town
I was hoping for a scientific answer-in short a fair test using different types of leather of the same size, weight etc.... Do the variations between different types of hh and goat make generalisations about shrinkage possible?
Well, that's a good idea...and it sounds like a scientific research,LOL. But it's good to assess all the leathers. For example, if we could get those leathers from different makers with the size of 30cm X 30cm, and shrink - dry them under same conditions, and then measure them again....it's a nice project. Finally we will get a plot--shrink (%) as a function of leather type.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family

Gee, I had no idea. Thank you for the in depth explanation.

Regards, coffee

Last edited:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I have drawn up some Goodwear A2s that were JCs sample jackets, and it worked well, and if you talk to him, he will say no problem doing this. He will state that the leather these jackets are made from, spend many many hours soaking in liquid baths of preservative, dyes etcs and water does not damage them. The pilots that wore them, wore them in the rain. I would even bet that guys knew how to draw them up to help get them to fit better. Next time anyone talks to a WW II pilot, it would be interesting to talk to them about their jackets and what they did to them.

I will admit that the zipper tape does get distorted, so that is one drawback to the procedure.

The concept may seem ridiculous, but in practice it is not. I will agree that doing the procedure changes the character of the jacket and the leather, but to some, the change is an improvement. I would not do this to an investment jacket or one I was going to sell down the road. I wouldn't do it to a jacket with patches either. But if you are going to wear it, and you know you want to keep it, I can say I have done it and am happier with the fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy