Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silver Mist VS...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This one is long overdue... I have long admired Art Fawcett's lids, and have been particularly impressed with his ribbon-work. In my view, Art does the most creative ribbon work out there -- and you never know what's going to turn up next!

When I first saw Art's "Chevron" ribbon treatment a couple of months ago, I knew the time had finally come for me to take the plunge. I just love the vibe of that ribbon treatment -- it has a very art deco thing going on. Very cool.

So, here is a VS in Silver Mist. The felt is very nicely finished, and has the feel of a vintage 3X Stetson from the early 50's (but nicer ;)) -- soft and supple with just a touch of floppiness (and that's a good thing).

The first two photos demonstrate how the perception of Silver Mist as a color has everything to do with context. In the first photo, the hat almost looks white in the sunlight. When placed on a white towel, however (in the same sunlight), you can really see the blue-ish undertone that puts the "silver" in Silver Mist.

Open Crown, the hat is 5 1/2", and the brim width is 2 3/4". The ribbon is navy blue, with a purple chevron, and a chevron that matches the brim binding. The initials on the sweat are "JTL" -- nice touch Art! The liner is a beautiful shade of purple.

Having had the pleasure of meeting Art in Monteagle this year, I can say that he has a creative energy that is infectious. It is truly a pleasure and a privilege to finally own one of his hats. Thank you, Art.

And now, without further ado:

VS1.jpg

VS2.jpg

VSCenter.jpg

VSRibbon.jpg

VSLiner.jpg

VSProfile.jpg

VS-LR.jpg

VS-LP.jpg

VS-L.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, Gents. :)

D-guy -- the creasing is all done 100% by hand. This is a dress weight hat.

Cheers,
JtL

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Could I ask you a few more details as my sunset is currently uncreased? How much steam or water did you use? Where would you start by creasing it - front or back? How do you get the ridge to srat at the back? Many thanks!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Wonderful hat, JTL. Ironic, though, that I bought my first VS because you outbid me for that Johnny Phi hat with the 2 buttons, so I had Art make a version of it.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
daizawaguy said:
Could I ask you a few more details as my sunset is currently uncreased? How much steam or water did you use? Where would you start by creasing it - front or back? How do you get the ridge to srat at the back? Many thanks!

There's actually a tutorial on the Jimmy teardrop here in the lounge...step by step and all...I'm not good with searches though[huh] anyone? Jimmy?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
daizawaguy said:

Jimmy the Lid is the defacto master of the teardrop. Neither man nor machine can do it better than The Creasemeister.

Outstanding, Jimmy. The hat, the ribbon, the crease...all outstanding.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
Art throwing the 'JTL' on the sweat is a cool and personal kinda touch. :eusa_clap

Sure is. I have updated the original set of photos to include a liner/sweat shot...;)

Many thanks to all for the very nice comments -- much appreciated. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24