Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt Vintage Cafe Racer

So I was looking for a jacket to wear on an upcoming fall ride with my father, out of Chicago and up thru Wisconsin. I've sold off most my jackets and besides a Vanson model E, I've only got my Aero 30's HB and since the Vanson is entirely to warm for anything less than 40 degrees and I'm far to protective of my Aero for riding, I went looking and came across this jacket on the outlet page of the SB site. It's tagged a 40" but the numbers were really spot on for me. 20" across the shoulder, 23" across the chest and 26" lengths. Damn near a carbon copy, numbers wise, of the Vanson model B I sold about a year ago, when I all but resigned myself to going to Target first thing Saturday morning and not getting on my bike.
The jacket is really nice, especially for riding. The armholes are really high cut, sleeves are trim, and the main zip is a fat #8 Talon. Full action back. The leather is Horween Warhawk burgundy and reminds me of a dull version of the CXL Cordo. It's heavy and stiff and doesn't demonstrate the same memory that CXL does. It certainly doesn't wrinkle and hold those wrinkles as quickly. It has a sponge-ish quality and rebounds when not on. I absolutely love the pattern. The d pocket at the chest is much easier to access when riding and is leather lined so it's easy to get stuff out (like a crumpled dollar bill at a toll plaza). I'm not crazy about the plaid lining but thankfully it's lightweight and not too warm and it's got some pink in it so my daughter thinks it's really nice. The price and numbers made it impossible to resist and I'm glad I pounced on it. I think it'll work quite well as a functional jacket and I'm sure I'll put it thru its paces. Haven't had my bike out in almost two years so I'm anxiously awaiting breaking this guy in and reconnecting with a hobby that I all but gave up on since becoming a father myself. Now, time to bust the rust off this relic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's a great looking jacket Ton!
Cant help noticing the similarities it shares with the Lost Worlds, but the fit is great on you.

That's a great looking jacket Ton!
Cant help noticing the similarities it shares with the Lost Worlds, but the fit is great on you.
It does and I love the LW jacket too. I found the LW I owned to be too unyielding. It never would've shown any patina or even looked worn. It's a testament to the leather Stu uses for sure. I'm a huge fan of the Chicago born hides so this one really struck a cord for me.

Thruth

New in Town
So I was looking for a jacket to wear on an upcoming fall ride with my father, out of Chicago and up thru Wisconsin. I've sold off most my jackets and besides a Vanson model E, I've only got my Aero 30's HB and since the Vanson is entirely to warm for anything less than 40 degrees and I'm far to protective of my Aero for riding, I went looking and came across this jacket on the outlet page of the SB site. It's tagged a 40" but the numbers were really spot on for me. 20" across the shoulder, 23" across the chest and 26" lengths. Damn near a carbon copy, numbers wise, of the Vanson model B I sold about a year ago, when I all but resigned myself to going to Target first thing Saturday morning and not getting on my bike.
The jacket is really nice, especially for riding. The armholes are really high cut, sleeves are trim, and the main zip is a fat #8 Talon. Full action back. The leather is Horween Warhawk burgundy and reminds me of a dull version of the CXL Cordo. It's heavy and stiff and doesn't demonstrate the same memory that CXL does. It certainly doesn't wrinkle and hold those wrinkles as quickly. It has a sponge-ish quality and rebounds when not on. I absolutely love the pattern. The d pocket at the chest is much easier to access when riding and is leather lined so it's easy to get stuff out (like a crumpled dollar bill at a toll plaza). I'm not crazy about the plaid lining but thankfully it's lightweight and not too warm and it's got some pink in it so my daughter thinks it's really nice. The price and numbers made it impossible to resist and I'm glad I pounced on it. I think it'll work quite well as a functional jacket and I'm sure I'll put it thru its paces. Haven't had my bike out in almost two years so I'm anxiously awaiting breaking this guy in and reconnecting with a hobby that I all but gave up on since becoming a father myself. Now, time to bust the rust off this relic. View attachment 54739 View attachment 54727
View attachment 54728
View attachment 54729
View attachment 54730
View attachment 54732

Great fit and I dig the colour

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful jacket and a perfect fit. Love the collar, the color and the (relatively) conservative look of the D pocket. Nicely done!

Thanks for the kind words guys! I really love the jacket and it's a rare bird in that the fit is sleek and stylish and at the same time I think it'll work well as a functional piece of gear. I've rarely aligned those two. I am truly happy with it!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the fit looks super on you Ton, these riding jackets must be originally scaled for men with your build, the sleeves that usually look big on most, yet always look fitted for you.

the fit looks super on you Ton, these riding jackets must be originally scaled for men with your build, the sleeves that usually look big on most, yet always look fitted for you.
When I saw the numbers on this guy I really felt it would be perfect as a riding jacket. I can sit hunched over with it zipped without a lot of bunching up, it's not squeezing too tight in the arms or shoulders but it's trim enough to wear just casually. Best part is I might have actually, finally, figured out my numbers!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Great jacket .. and great fit. The Warhawk is awesome ( CXL without the hand glazing) a little bit duller but develops a really nice patina over time ( no less time in break in though :( ) I have a 2 year old custom jacket in the same Vintage Warhawk Burgundy and it's ageing very nicely showing lighter and darker tones at wear points. I got a little bit of rub off on high wear areas ( and I mean a little on the collar of a pale blue T-shirt but it stopped very quickly - within 2 weeks or so - and was pretty minimal TBH)

Wear it well ... gotta love sale pages when they deliver jackets this nice :)

The jacket is fantastic and the fit looks spot on for you. Your motorcycle looks very interesting too, wouldn't mind seeing more pics of it - perhaps of you on it with this jacket??!! :)
Will do! Hopefully this weekend I can get it fired up. It's been sitting for a very long time!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I second navetsea, your body is made for these pattern, the fit is just great! After two years of spending I have come to the conclusion that I will never be happy with any shade of brown any of the known makers can offer and go with black on all my jackets but this burgundry certainly looks nicer than I had imagined from the pictures on their website. Still, I'm going black only from now on to avoid any disappointment (the great shade of brown I have ever seen on a leather jacket was my fathers 15 year old Camel jacket and regardless of where I order, brown hides always fall short of that. Maybe my taste is not the same as the majority but I cannot find any hide as nicely brown as that one and that is frustrating at some point and four digit amount of money spent. Anyway, I'm getting offtopic, great jacket, enjoy it and update us on how it performs and breaks in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner