Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks. The jacket is perhaps a touch too short, though I have seen Golden Era suits of a similar length. Either way, you take what you can get for $20 at the second hand store. It does cover what it needs to in the back. ;)

It looks rather like the fellow above me without the windblown legs.

Fletch said:
Understated? gives the impression of being uncomfortably tight.

I disagree. I think the extreme curve of the cutaway gives the impression that there is some strain. I see a lot of excess fabric in the chest, though it is indeed nicely tight through the hips.

I am not a fan of such short jackets having such an extreme cutaway. I like the crotch covered when the jacket is buttoned. This is one of the reasons i have a prejudice against morning coats, which expose the crotch terribly.

bk

Jovan

Suspended
Interestingly enough, I would consider a lot of the jackets that you gents wear too long. But that's me. The length on the one you're wearing there is perfect to me, Jones.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, Baron, never thought of the crotch issue. But yes, I can conceive of situations where one might regret exposing one's trunk...(close dancing perhaps? ;))

Hemingway's coat might be a touch short, but he could lessen the effect with a let-down to the sleeves, roll press to the lapels so they don't lie so flat at the closure, and maybe a more forward pointed shirt collar and finer patterned tie. Too much horizontal line is going to accentuate the feeling of shortness.

Jovan said:
Interestingly enough, I would consider a lot of the jackets that you gents wear too long. But that's me. The length on the one you're wearing there is perfect to me, Jones.

Yes, many of the jackets i wear i consider a touch too long. Funnily enough, the brit jackets are unfailingly shorter (2-3") than american jackets of the same labelled size.

I like my jackets to run a bit shorter than standard.

bk

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
IMG_9329-vi.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks. The jacket is perhaps a touch too short, though I have seen Golden Era suits of a similar length. Either way, you take what you can get for $20 at the second hand store. It does cover what it needs to in the back. ;)

It looks rather like the fellow above me without the windblown legs.

Another nice score Hemingway Jones. You have to spill as to where you shop. :)
Not only did you get this great DB but a Ralph Lauren peaked lapel too!
For twenty bucks a piece you picked up two outstanding suits. Most of the 20 dollars suits I see look like..20 dollar suits.:rolleyes:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Short, Regular, Long, and EXTRA Long

The SB peak suit was the uniform for the Joe Haymes Orchestra, seen here on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in 1932.
This gives a good idea of how the suit looks on every size guy, because the band had them all, from short to tall to heavy.

436637066_e9173c5c6a_b.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
Another nice score Hemingway Jones. You have to spill as to where you shop. :)
Not only did you get this great DB but a Ralph Lauren peaked lapel too!
For twenty bucks a piece you picked up two outstanding suits. Most of the 20 dollars suits I see look like..20 dollar suits.:rolleyes:
Come up to Boston, My Friend, and I'll show you around. ;) :)

Fletch said:
The SB peak suit was the uniform for the Joe Haymes Orchestra, seen here on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in 1932.
This gives a good idea of how the suit looks on every size guy, because the band had them all, from short to tall to heavy.

436637066_e9173c5c6a_b.jpg

Ok, so we have proved that there were people over a size 38 back then but what happened the suit on the guy third from the left? Call his relatives. I want it. That has got to fit me. :p I can have my tailor take it in if not. :D

Regards,

J

jamespowers said:
Ok, so we have proved that there were people over a size 38 back then but what happened the suit on the guy third from the left? Call his relatives. I want it. That has got to fit me. :p I can have my tailor take it in if not. :D

Regards,

J

What state (condition) you talking? I have one about that size that was very badly moth eaten that i culled the buttons from and took apart to learn the tailoring details . . . It's still hanging around 9in bits) if ye're intereseted/

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic