Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

size 50 original Dubow

oldcolts

New in Town
A few days ago, I bought an original Dubow horsehide size 50 on ebay. I haven't received it yet. It should fit me but my concern is that is a size 50 possible in an original A2 in an era with smaller men? It shows the size 50 on the manufacturers tag and a white tag in the pocket.. Item 271318775815 on ebay to see pictures.. thanks

1) Tags are useless.
2) Generally, WWII era jackets will be at least one-size smaller than the modern counterpart. It might end up a 46-48 actual.
3) Pretty cheap for a jacket that would be worth a LOT more if it's real (WWII issue).
4) Nothing there about how large it is, so you'll need to wait.
5) Big one. Seller has a feedback of "1". I hope you got a steal, but it may not be what it appears.

Maybe Andrew can chime in here and give his opinions. He'd know more than most.

oldcolts

New in Town
If not, ebay or paypal may have to help me out....
I did note the 1 feed back but I know they all had to have a 1 sometime so took a chance there..
thanks and hope Andrew or others will reply.

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Looks to me like one of the quality repros, tough to be sure from those pictures but it doesn't have the age appearance it should have. especially the hardware. throat latch is very shiny. but the price range is ballpark for a quality used higher end repro. Some of our knowledgeable members should be along soon and tell you what you have.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I'm not one of those knowledgeable members, but, I don't think an original would have a size tag under the pocket flap, I think that's more of a repro thing.

I'm not one of those knowledgeable members, but, I don't think an original would have a size tag under the pocket flap, I think that's more of a repro thing.

No, there are size tags in some pockets for sure...
See these two Dubow models:

pocket_open.jpg

pocket_tag.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used own this size 50 Dubow if it's the one that was recently on Ebay. It is a true size 50. A2s were made in very large sizes to accommodate the small number of larger aircrew or those who flew a desk! They ranged in size from 32 to 54.

oldcolts

New in Town
Andrew, Are you saying that you used to own this particular jacket? Then do you think it is an original WWII as written?

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
No, there are size tags in some pockets for sure...
See these two Dubow models:

pocket_open.jpg

pocket_tag.jpg

I guess I stand corrected on the size tag.
Looks like you may have bagged yourself an original A-2 for a fair price, hopefully it fits and you can wear it out and about. Congrats

oldcolts

New in Town
Was hoping for Andrew to clarify that he is verifying that this jacket is an original.. and if he knew this particular jacket...

Edward

Bartender
I used own this size 50 Dubow if it's the one that was recently on Ebay. It is a true size 50. A2s were made in very large sizes to accommodate the small number of larger aircrew or those who flew a desk! They ranged in size from 32 to 54.

Jinkies, they had aircrew that big?? I'd figured it belonged to an established career officer who flew a desk, but I hadn't realised there might be aircrew that big. (That said, I was assuming that the USAAF was more selective than might have been ground troops).

I'd be tempted to accept Andrew's word on this.

I'm sure he's far too modest to say it himself, but there are certainly those of us who consider Andrew the expert.

Does Gary Eastman's book give any guidance on sizes made? Presumably records of the original contracts would have specified size range and quantity? (That's assuming that wasn't a private order, of course, which seems likely to have been the case if it belonged to non-aircrew).

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Andrew, Are you saying that you used to own this particular jacket? Then do you think it is an original WWII as written?
Yes and it dates to 1942. If I remember correctly the knits had been badly attacked by moths and have been extensively repaired.

A2 specification paperwork required jackets sized 32 to 54. As you can imagine size 54 original A2s are extremely rare, but they do come up for sale from time to time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff