Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size Question on Martin Lane G-1 Jacket

G-1_USN_USMC_USCG

New in Town
Good morning,
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Just had a question on the sizing for G-1 Jackets produced by The Martin Lane Co in 1968 and 1969. I am looking at a Size 46 jacket. I just wanted to know if this company's jackets were large for their size or were they more tighter and short waisted. For example, is a Size 46 jacket more like a modern day size 44 jacket? Thanks for your time. Again, hope you all have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Mike

Marv

A-List Customer
I have a 1968 D series Martin Lane in a 46" and it fits on the snug size, the pit to pit is 23 inches (on my other 46" G1s it's 24 inches) however, overall the size of the jacket seems on the small size so I'm guessing mine may have been labelled up incorrectly as it seems to equate to a size 44" but even then it's on the small size.

Hope that helps.....

I have a 1968 C series Martin Lane in size 40. Beautiful jacket with nice rusty mouton collar. However, it too fits snug. More like a 38. Leads me to believe that ML's sizes most often ran small. I'm 6'2" and the length is fine.
HD

G-1_USN_USMC_USCG

New in Town
I have a 1968 D series Martin Lane in a 46" and it fits on the snug size, the pit to pit is 23 inches (on my other 46" G1s it's 24 inches) however, overall the size of the jacket seems on the small size so I'm guessing mine may have been labelled up incorrectly as it seems to equate to a size 44" but even then it's on the small size.

Hope that helps.....
Thanks for your help, Paul. It was one of your earlier posts that led me to ask this question. Thanks again. Have a great Sunday. Mike

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I don't consider myself an expert on G-1s, but I've owned a few. I've never tried on a Marty Lane, but I've always heard they are cut fairly trim. That being said, they are one of the more desirable manufacturers to collectors.

AF

Carson

New in Town
I have a 68 Martin Lane size 46. I am a size 44 and the 46 fits fine. I tried a 44 and it was too snug. So for me at least, one size up in G1's is the rule of thumb.

G-1_USN_USMC_USCG

New in Town
I have a 68 Martin Lane size 46. I am a size 44 and the 46 fits fine. I tried a 44 and it was too snug. So for me at least, one size up in G1's is the rule of thumb.
Thanks Carson. I pulled the trigger on a 46 Martin Lane (1969). AF was right...it is a bit snug. HoosierDaddy was right too...it fits in the arms and the length for a person 6 feet and above. So, thanks again to all of you that provided me with your sage advice. I believe I have a collectors item that will fit...just needs some breaking in. Thanks again for all your help, time and advice.
Cheers,
Mike

Marv

A-List Customer
Here's a quick pic of my 1968 Martin Lane and the Contract label......

The Jacket has been issued and there are stitch holes from the name and unit tags, also has VQ-3 printed on the back of the jacket which is the (TACAMO) USN VQ-3 Ironman squadron Fleet Air Recon

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou