Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size Reduction??

rwwjones

New in Town
Sorry if this has been answered but could not find in search. I have a very nice (body, needs new sweat band) old Borsalino Extra Extra Superior that is too large for me. If completely refurbished to what extent can the size be reduced?
Thanks experts.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have gotten two sizes by wetting and using hot air to shrink. The only side effect I saw from doing this in a couple of hats was stiffening of the felt as it seems that shrinking occurs due to the hairs contorting in such as way as to thicken the felt in that area. If the crown has taper (the side of crown is wider, larger in diameter at brim break and reduces as you go towards top of crown) it won't when you're done. If it has no taper (diameter of crown has no or little change as it goes up) to begin it it may end up with reverse taper (smaller at brim break and gets little larger as it goes up).
I think a professional can probably shrink properly and re-block and overcome any of these situations that are undesirable. I'm not so equipped and my "shadetree" hat repairs at least let me know how felt reacts to purposeful shrinking. I only had a good idea of what would happen when hats shrunk by unintended wetting and heat drying. If your hat gets rain soaked and then put in your truck with windows rolled up and then the sun comes back out you get a really good hat shrink I have found.

I concur with Suited Cowboy. One thing you have to be careful of, if it is a vintage hat, the extreme heat exposure can injure the sweatband. If I shrink it's usually only one size, from a 7 1/8 to a 7. If you send the hat to a hatter, he will likely draw the hat in, which could alter the brim and crown sizes depending on how much alteration he has to do.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
How big is it? You might consider selling it and looking for a comparable replacement, which would cost less than what you could get for the larger one.

I shrank a tough western hat, but don't recommend torturing a Borsalino.

rwwjones

New in Town
Thanks for the replys. Tha hat is about 23" and needs to be about 22. I love the color and weight. If hatter could reduce I think would be cheaper than replacement of comperable quality. Needs sweatband replacement anyway.

In order to answer this question you need to accurately say what size the hat is and what size you need it to be. 22" is about a 7 and 23" is about 7-3/8th's. A good professional hat restoration would allow the rebuilder to resize the hat if he has the blocks available. Changing sizes is do-able during a major rebuild.

However, one of the things that you can do is to try out putting strips of wool felt from a fabric store behind the sweat band to see of that will help take up the slack.

rwwjones

New in Town
Thanks for suggestions. I have some resizing felt I bought for an nice older Stetson Open Road (soft & black) that is just a bit too large. Will give it a try but think the difference is a bit much for stuffing. Any recomendations for a reasonable "good professional hat restoration"? I called several listed on the internet and got a variety of answers that ranged form one to three sizes.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have found that simply changing the sweat will be sufficient to reduce the size. If the original sweat was un-reeded it becomes easier.The new sweat will be reeded and have thicker leather resulting in a reduction of one size or more with out having to shrink the body. Reblocking can some times make the hat stiffer than it originally was.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd like to chime in with others and suggest something in the sweatband; e.g. rolled newspaper, wool felt, weather stripping, etc., or in other words, nothing permanent.

Sure, a hat can be resized, but it's very much like a suit - you can resize a larger 46L to fit like a tight 42S, but you would be far better served to simply purchase a 42S. The cut-down 46L will look strange and disproportionate unless you find a great tailor and you have a wad of $$$. And even then, it's still going to look a bit funny.

If you wear a 22, buy some 22's and either sell or cherish this Borso.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran