Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Smithsonian" Indiana Jones Jacket?

Feraud

Bartender
This strikes me as a terrible auction! What association does this jacket have to Indiana Jones? None! The jacket pictured is not the jacket in the screencap of the Biography Channel Spielberg/Ford photo.
The write up is seriously misleading. If there is no connection between this and Harrison Ford's jacket why imply as much? The only claim in the entire story is it was made for the Smithsonian Institute. I read no verification for that line(lie?) either.
I was sorry to see anyone bid on it. It is a bit depressing to see a seller with that high number of auctions and positive feedback under their belt pull this stunt..

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I believe the jacket in the Smithsonian is in fact from Last Crusade.
If you take a close look there are snaps on the storm flap.
Regards,
Forrestal

indyjim

Familiar Face
That jacket isn't even close to an Indiana Jones jacket. In fact is more like an
A-2, due to knit cuffs and waist. Smells fishy to me, or even smacks of outright fraud.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Smithsonian has been selling A2 knockoffs for a long time now. ...http://www.smithsonianstore.com/catalog/product.jsp?wtl=df&productId=13685&#This seller, however, seems to be attempting to imply that because the Museum is in possession of a screen used jacket, this somehow reflects upon this item... HHmmmm.
It has long been a disappointment to me that although the Smithsonian is in possession of some of our greatest cultural treasures they do not issue reproductions of items held in the collection as do The Boston Museum of Fine Art and The Met, instead they have items to sell that are 'inspired by' or 'represent the tradition of' ... pretty weak imho.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
So the jacket is a Smithsonian A2 style knockoff. The Indiana Jones reference is totally misleading.

... So it would seem, tho' in the small print he does say " This is not THE JACKET, but the jacket and hat worn by Indiana Jones has become a cultural icon..."

uh huh...

Feraud

Bartender
It sure does! However, those words are sandwiched within approximately 4-500 words about Indiana Jones, the Smithsonian Exhibit, Peter Botwright of Wested, Hubert Johnson (seller's spelling) hatmaker, etc., etc.
Why not tell us who made the bullwhip while trying to sell a jacket that is not an Indiana Jones jacket?

I guess when I sell my grey hat that is, "not HUMPHREY BOGART'S HAT FROM THE MALTESE FALCON" I should include a biography of Bogie, John Huston and the Maltese Falcon...[huh] That is bad auctioning.

Poor choice of representation.

Here is the type of set up where misinformation gets represented as good information. The Smithsonian reference gives validation to a poor knock off and then it gets furthered by inferences. Each step takes the jacket further from the truth while giving it validation it does not deserve.

You are getting sleepy, sleepy. You want this jacket, you want this jacket. Press the bid button, press the bid button. Now dance like a chicken.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just don't see the reasoning

It's not close to an Indiana Jones Jacket, it has ribbed trim... all wrong. Why ven bring it up?
The seller may have thought, without a second of time at Google, that this is the kind of jacket worn in the film. Hey - it IS a brown leather short-waisted jacket, right? Might be an honest mistake (who pays close attention to these things but us?), but a stupid mistake, to be sure.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
That last pic in the listing.

Was a really cheap shot! :mad: Looks like false and misleading advertising to me. But to the naive,........SOLD! ;)
Reminds me of what a used car salesman once said to me. (And I'm not making this up.)
" You look good in this car. THIS is the car for you!" :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
I am highly suspicious about this "honest mistake". Even if the seller naively bought the jacket at the Smithsonian and wants to sell it, he apparently has something to say about Indiana Jones. He knows enough that Peter at Wested makes the I.J. jacket and H.Johnson made the hat?

Does anyone really think this guy mistook his jacket for an Indiana Jones repro or original?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Feraud said:
I am highly suspicious about this "honest mistake". Even if the seller naively bought the jacket at the Smithsonian and wants to sell it, he apparently has something to say about Indiana Jones. He knows enough that Peter at Wested makes the I.J. jacket and H.Johnson made the hat?

Does anyone really think this guy mistook his jacket for an Indiana Jones repro or original?

Good points. No way that could be an innocent mistake.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
This stinks to high heaven. The photo of the jacket's label only shows that it comes from the Smithsonian. The label does not say that the jacket is a repro of Indiana Jones's. Conclusion? The jacket was not made to be a repro of Indy's. It just happens, in the seller's opinion, to look like one. That, and the fact that it was made for the Smithsonian (where the real movie jacket is on display), was enough for the seller to call it an "Indy". Perhaps he/she has really bad eyesight? Su-u-re, that's it!

geo

An obvious fake. It can't get more obvious that this, unless the description actually states "Fake Smysonian Indiana Johnes Jacket for sale" (with added spelling mistakes, for authenticity). But then, it wouldn't be a real fake because it would be advertised as a fake. This is a real fake, because, although a fake, it is advertised as a genuine item.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There's no reason to doubt that the jacket was made for the Smithsonian to sell. What's doubtful is that the jacket was meant to be a repro of Indy's. And in fact, the seller never explicitly states that it was.

The problem is not that the jacket isn't an official Indiana Jones repro. The problem is that it doesn't even look like the true Indy jacket from the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925