Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Ah, ok, I see, that Schiesser still offers them:
http://www.schiesser.com/herrenbekl.../Hose-kurz-mit-Eingriff-weiss-Essentials.html

Next time, I will try one of the classics, because, if the new outcoming retroshorts will be further only made of cotton/elasthan, I can equal change to the real classic. I got one of their own stores in a near bigger city.
Ah....the ever popular boxer-brief hybrid. I had no idea what you were talking about by retro-shorts.

No thanks. I prefer plain old boxers. I prefer 'em loose enough that worn elastic is a moot point. They're only under there in case I split my pants, there's something between my *** and the rest of the world.

Which brings me to something trivial, but really ticks me off. Now days there seems to be a trend toward stretchy knit waist bands of the tighty whitey variety stitched along the top edge of the shorts, as opposed to the good old fashioned industrial strength elastic band sewn INSIDE, where it belongs. I remember when I was young, my old man used to wear the kind that had little grippers or snaps in front, and could be unfastened like a pair of pants. Sometime in the early 80s, best I recollect, these began disappearing in favor of the elastic all the way around variety. More than once I can remember him bellyaching about this turn of events, and thinking to myself wtf difference does it make. Well, now I know. I stand corrected, Dad.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And making the confusion perfect:

Here, in Europe, the usual tight retroshorts/retropants are the ones, made of synthetic microfibre/elasthan. But, if they are made of cotton/elasthan, they are mostly called "retro-boxer".
But our classic wide boxer-shorts, here, are still called boxer-shorts. :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My insurance insists one of my doctor's is in-network for health insurance... my doctor's office insists they are out-of-network. I am sure this will be resolved, but man, it really irritates me.

I'm especially not too fond of my doctor's office staff, who have been rather rude about the whole thing. I am about 60% sure the lady I spoke with in the phone "pretended" to look it up given her attitude and how quickly she declared, "It's out of network, looks like you'll be paying more."

Well, if it's truly out of network, looks like I won't be seeing that doctor anymore...

We have a long and sordid history of revering physicians. Many of us here can remember when you just plain didn't question your doctor, and "doctor's orders" carried as much weight as a papal bull.

My health crises of more recent years have had me terminating relationships with physicians and other health care providers. Apparently some medical schools still require their students to take at least three units of Condescension and Arrogance.

Sorry, Dr. A**hole, but Tony don't play that game.

My insurance insists one of my doctor's is in-network for health insurance... my doctor's office insists they are out-of-network. I am sure this will be resolved, but man, it really irritates me.

I'm especially not too fond of my doctor's office staff, who have been rather rude about the whole thing. I am about 60% sure the lady I spoke with in the phone "pretended" to look it up given her attitude and how quickly she declared, "It's out of network, looks like you'll be paying more."

Well, if it's truly out of network, looks like I won't be seeing that doctor anymore...

Staying 100 miles away from healthcare politics, but staying true to the thread and you comment, what drives me insane is that you can't get an honest, straight, consistent comprehensive answer from the doctor's office or the insurer about what is or isn't covered and how to go about ensuring something is covered.

I am one of those people who never goes to the doctor unless it is really, really, really bad, but when I turned 40, I committed to my girlfriend to have an annual checkup and have honored that commitment for a decade so far. But it is brutal to do so from an insurance perspective.

After learning the hard way, I now call both the insurance company and the doctor well before I go and follow up with any open items from those calls (which results in a series of back an forth with both the insurance company and doctors offices). And just like sheeplady, my doctor's office fluctuates from okay and kinda helpful to almost rude and not very helpful. Not only do I have to get a list of what tests / examinations are allowed for an annual physical, but I have to make sure the doctor sends the blood work to one specific lab (which made the doctor's office quite cranky). Also, when I told the doctor's office that an EKG was not covered, I got a snippy answer from the doctor's office that "I'll have to discuss that with the doctor."

And the worst part is that none of the information is consistent. Both the insurance company and doctor's office give you different answers when you call and get a different person. Also, no matter how much I do in advance, I still have to repeat it all when I get to the doctor's office and, then, pray when the "explanation of benefits" form comes that the story hasn't changed again and I find I'm on the hook for something despite all my diligence.

The most empowered I ever felt was about fifteen years ago when I fired my neurosurgeon from my hospital bed the night before spinal fusion surgery the following morning. Still remember the look on that a--holes face. Priceless.

They forget that they're working for us and developing a relationship with that fearful person laying before them is important.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So my insurance issue got cleared up relatively easily on my end. One call to the insurer, one call to doctor's office. Got a very nice call back from the doctor's office staff (notably another person and not the "you'll have to pay more) who called me to reassure me that they were in-network and thanking me for bearing with them.

But, notably, I HATE dealing with insurance stuff, or healthcare stuff in general. I have a huge aversion to doctors because no matter how many good experiences I've had, I have had some horrible ones in the past. The issue I have, and I hate to say it, is that I am incredibly impatient with non-professional behavior when it comes from a doctor's office. I am so sick of the consequences of having been sick (going to doctors all the time, having to deal with so much insurance stuff, being poked and prodded) that I have a really short fuse and I get easily upset when someone is rude to me. My tolerance level is really really low.

And I look forward to the day when hopefully my surgeon says, "see you in a year" instead of "see you in 6 months!"

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We have a long and sordid history of revering physicians. Many of us here can remember when you just plain didn't question your doctor, and "doctor's orders" carried as much weight as a papal bull.
If it's possible, it's worse on our NHS system, the arrogance we encounter beggars belief. But as you say, reverence, and for that matter, deference to medical staff is history. My brother's daughter qualified as a doctor some years ago, and now, she has qualified and has been a surgeon for almost two years. She tells me that there is a pecking order among the hierarchy, with females getting short shrift, the worst offenders are those surgeons that have professor in their title. I do feel sorry for my niece, our system is class ridden, if you are a male surgeon your title changes from Doctor to Mister, but for the females a surgeon remains a doctor. Heaven save us from doctors with a knighthood.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother worked in a hospital for over twenty years, and emerged with no respect or reverence for the medical profession at all, and she doesn't hesitate to display her views. She's probably been blacklisted by more doctors' offices than any other person in the state of Maine.

The last time it happened, someone from the office called me, as her next of kin, and advised me to have her mental state checked -- she had, shall we say, cussed out the doctor because she didn't think he was paying proper attention to her description of her symptoms. When I told them that this was perfectly normal behavior for her, they were to say the least, nonplussed. But knowing what she's had to deal with from doctors over the course of her lifetime, I don't blame her a bit.

On the other hand ...

I have a great deal of respect, admiration and appreciation for many of the physicians and other health care professionals who have quite literally kept me alive this long.

They work hard -- harder than I do. The economics of our modern health care system have them going from patient to patient, nonstop, all day long. And they take on responsibilities I never would.

Sure, they are generally well compensated. But there isn't enough money in this world to get me to do what many physicians and surgeons do on a daily basis.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My mother worked in a hospital for over twenty years, and emerged with no respect or reverence for the medical profession at all, and she doesn't hesitate to display her views. She's probably been blacklisted by more doctors' offices than any other person in the state of Maine.

The last time it happened, someone from the office called me, as her next of kin, and advised me to have her mental state checked -- she had, shall we say, cussed out the doctor because she didn't think he was paying proper attention to her description of her symptoms. When I told them that this was perfectly normal behavior for her, they were to say the least, nonplussed. But knowing what she's had to deal with from doctors over the course of her lifetime, I don't blame her a bit.

Working in a hospital can definitely color that outlook dark. At the first hospital I where was employed- now closed- there was a definite arrogance among many of the attending physicians. And the thing was, it really had no basis in reality: the hospital was not one of the better ones around, and all of its house staff (residents) were foreign medical grads. NOT the place that the top grads of Johns Hopkins were hoping for on their annual Matching Day, to put it mildly. They even had an open liquor cart in the physicians dining room, and a few were known to take a snort or two before morning surgeries. We had a torts prof in law school who was always making comments regarding Mucus Welby and His Gold Stethoscope: a stereotype as far as the imperial arrogance of some of them, but not too far off.

On the other hand, through my wife I've gotten to know quite a few pediatricians over the decades. These men and women are definitely not in it for the money, at least as far as general peds. Those in pediatric specialties can do quite well, but that involves two or more consecutive residencies (4-5 years each) and the hours can be insane. Bottom line is that I've noticed that younger docs tend to be far less inclined to play the Almighty Doctor bit: they seem more inclined to remember their own humanity. My experience, anyway.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
On the other hand ...I have a great deal of respect, admiration and appreciation for many of the physicians and other health care professionals who have quite literally kept me alive this long. They work hard -- harder than I do.
Good point, well said, it's easy to forget the dedication of the many because of the arrogance of the few.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My hopes and prayers are with you that you hear that at your next visit.
Thank you. I have no idea if this will ever happen, as I've been told by some survivors (different cancers) they go forever on 6-month intervals. To be honest, I am too afraid to ask. My oncologist went from every 3 months visit for the first year, to every 4 months for the second year, and is now every 6 months. I also fear asking the question of when I get moved to a year or released from my oncologist, as I fear it to be bad luck.

My only saving grace is that my surgeon and oncologist are significantly older than I am, so retirement is ahead for them.

Thank you. I have no idea if this will ever happen, as I've been told by some survivors (different cancers) they go forever on 6-month intervals. To be honest, I am too afraid to ask. My oncologist went from every 3 months visit for the first year, to every 4 months for the second year, and is now every 6 months. I also fear asking the question of when I get moved to a year or released from my oncologist, as I fear it to be bad luck.

My only saving grace is that my surgeon and oncologist are significantly older than I am, so retirement is ahead for them.

This post - I showed it to my girlfriend as I've told her about your battle and courage - made us both sad but determined that if good wishes can help, you will get moved to a one-year schedule soon. I agree with you, though, don't ask, just let it happen. And please let us know when it does, as it will!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
And I look forward to the day when hopefully my surgeon says, "see you in a year" instead of "see you in 6 months!"
That reminds me of a show I just saw. The self centered teenage girl answered the phone, then says, "what evs, and hangs up!" The butler said, "who was that," she said, "your Doctors office, you either should see them in 6 months, or you have 6 months!"

I think, you can only advise to everyone, to stop or maximum reduce the consumption of animal-protein. Equally, if meat or milk-products. It's all bad, in the end, making your tissue sick, that's a fact.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
A guy goes to his doctor to find out the results of some medical tests he recently underwent. As he passes the reception he is greeted by a stunningly beautiful assistant who shows him into the doctor's surgery.
After the usual civilities, the doctor informs the guy, " I've got some good news & some bad news for you......what do you want to hear first ?"
" Well" replies the guy, " let's have the bad news first."
" You've got an incurable disease & only have six months to live" answered the doctor,
" And the good news ?" asked the guy,
"I'm having an affair with my assistant " replied the doctor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy