Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Hercule

Practically Family
Thank you. I have no idea if this will ever happen, as I've been told by some survivors (different cancers) they go forever on 6-month intervals. To be honest, I am too afraid to ask. My oncologist went from every 3 months visit for the first year, to every 4 months for the second year, and is now every 6 months. I also fear asking the question of when I get moved to a year or released from my oncologist, as I fear it to be bad luck.

That is not uncommon. My wife works in the Clinical Trials Unit of the Seidman Cancer Center and has often spoken of this "post partem" depression as it were. Seems like the process becomes a comfortable way of life (in a manner of speaking) then you're pushed out in to the world on your own. In such a case one has to remember that's a good thing.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is not uncommon. My wife works in the Clinical Trials Unit of the Seidman Cancer Center and has often spoken of this "post partem" depression as it were. Seems like the process becomes a comfortable way of life (in a manner of speaking) then you're pushed out in to the world on your own. In such a case one has to remember that's a good thing.
I fortunately didn't have that issue. I had depression and anxiety during treatment (which I understand is less common than following treatment). Although I still have issues around my diagonosis anniversary, it has improved every year. But mainly I am so irritated by having to visit so many doctors, deal with insurance, and manage everything related to these appointments, that I think that's displaced any post-treatment generalized depression. ;)

I'm very open about all of this because I've encountered a lot of women who think they're "broken" when they get depressed or have anxiety after treatment is finished OR if they don't. So much of cancer research is focused on treating the disease itself (for good reason) and not on the after effects. Doctor's aren't trained to address these issues.

All of this said, I have the most lovely and capable team of doctors. Being an oncologist or a oncology surgeon SUCKS. A majority of your patients die of cancer. And statistically, the younger the patient is, they more likely they are to die of cancer, with kids being the hardest hit. I really have to applaud those people who work in oncology day in and day out: doctors, nurses, assistants, etc.

Have I yet mentioned how annoying I find people who call me on the phone and the first words out of their mouths after I say hello are "Who's this?"

I used to respond, "You called me, you ill-mannered *******, who are you?" But these days I just hang up.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My dear old mother has never said the word "hello" on a telephone in her life. When she calls she doesn't even wait for *me* to say hello before she says "I wanna tell you what that sister of yours did this time" or "Well, here's what's happening with my bladder."

And she used to work for the phone company. "The Voice With A Smile" indeed.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
When I was in grade school we were taught how to use a telephone and always first say hello, then identify ourselves, but I lived for many years in southern Appalachia where telephone etiquette had never quite taken hold. The phone would ring, I'd pick it up and someone on the other line would be talking as if we were in the middle of a conversation. There were times when this went on for several minutes before I informed the caller that they had the wrong number. Often they were offended when I told them of this.

Have I yet mentioned how annoying I find people who call me on the phone and the first words out of their mouths after I say hello are "Who's this?"

I used to respond, "You called me, you ill-mannered *******, who are you?" But these days I just hang up.

I take my cue from Spanky:

Caller: "who is this?"
Me: "how many guesses do I get?"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
dwqo2f.png

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

When telemarketing calls, I ask them for their number so I can call back at a more convenient time.
If they tell me they are not allowed .
My next question is “Can you tell me what this sounds like?” then I hang up & block the number.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I do believe that the age of the telephone solicitor is drawing to a close. I should hope so anyway, what with the National Do Not Call Registry and all.

Alas, I get three or four dozen junk emails on any given day.

That list was/is a complete lie. We got at least twice as many solicitation calls after we put our number on that list than we did before. o_O

True.
The fact that you responded. Solicitors take this into account .
The calls will double.

Btw: Do you know how solicitors obtained your phone number/email address
in the first place? o_O

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Btw: Do you know how solicitors obtained your phone number/email address in the first place?
Other countries may be different but here in the UK the answer would be: Because you give it to them. Not directly of course, but if you have filled in an application for: Loyalty Card; Credit Card; Sales Offer; Online Purchase and a myriad of other innocent looking forms, you will have given your phone number away, as well as your home address and your preferred purchases, and almost every other detail that interests those with intent to cold canvas you.
Those forms are mostly online these days, next time you see one, look at the rectangular boxes that are known as 'fields.' See how many have an asterisk denoting that it's compulsory to fill in your personal details. Once one company has your details it will be sold and resold on and on.
Frankly I am very wary of the internet, why for instance do some companies store your card information when you make a sale? It has now become a risk. If that company gets hacked your card details are there, or, if an employee has an ulterior motive, that employee could pass on your's and other's details.
For me, cash, as in the filthy folding stuff, has always been king. It can be difficult to pay cash, because the system has deliberately been contrived that way, but with a little patience, and care, you won't get plagued by cold canvassers, or have your details hacked.

Hercule

Practically Family
How about when you call someone and there's total silence when they pick up the phone because they expect you to say hello first. As bizarre as it that has happened to me a number of times.

Yes!! That has happened to me many times.

My wife is always accusing me of hanging up on her. Silly me for assuming the conversation is over and hanging up when my "ok, bye," is met with silence.

Hercule

Practically Family
A point of annoyance: being asked to remove my shoes when I go to somebody's house. Really? You invite a person into your home then you ask them to take off an article of clothing. That's how you treat a guest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR