Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Along the same lines I could do without the whole trend of putting "upscale" cheffy stuff into ordinary greasy-spoon food. All I want is a dish of scrambled eggs, doused in salt and pepper, a side of pork sausage and two pieces of buttered white toast. I don't need a demonstration of culinary bravado in every bite.
Top off those eggs with some cheese and I am happy. Actually, no cheese and I am still happy. The most upscale we get (outside the cheese) with our breakfasts would be peppering with a peppermill.
:D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Women have keener sense of taste/ smell than men (theorized to prevent them from eating something that would cause a fetus or nursing child harm).

There's a correlation to what your biological mother eats during gestation and nursing to what foods that very young child will like. (Theorized to adapt the child to the palate of their culture so they don't starve.)

That's all I've got, and most of that came from, "Why the heck does my 3-year-old love broccoli like her mother and father but is disgusted by cheese put on anything but pizza?" I'd have to say, from my limited experience, either genetics or early exposure plays a part too. (Hence why my daughter will eat the most ridiculous things, loves hamburgers, but hates cheeseburgers like her father.)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Most public eating places get too heavy with the salt content in the foods they prepare.
My taste is very keen.
Perhaps it could be that I don’t smoke or eat very spicy foods on a regular basis for
my mouth to become insensitive.
But this is pure speculation.

Unfortunately I might not really have a choice because the wifi router is in the bedroom of my housemates' little daughter (it was formerly my office) and it has to eventually be moved out of there anyway.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Most public eating places get too heavy with the salt content in the foods they prepare.
My taste is very keen.
Perhaps it could be that I don’t smoke or eat very spicy foods on a regular basis for
my mouth to become insensitive.
But this is pure speculation.
Speculation or not, my wife and I are much the same. We are both non smokers, and both dislike heavily salted food. There are restaurants we avoid because the food is too salty. Processed foods like bacon do need salt, so when a pre-salted food is used in cooking, we don't add any salt at all, there's already more than enough in the pre-salted food.

Top off those eggs with some cheese and I am happy. Actually, no cheese and I am still happy. The most upscale we get (outside the cheese) with our breakfasts would be peppering with a peppermill.
:D

I love pepper. I have a pepper thing. Real pepper that is, pepper that come directly from a grinder. I cannot abide the pre-ground dust you find in a shaker, either at home or in restaurants. You might as well be using sand. I don't think that makes me a food snob though.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
And of course, a cat in the house is a healthy thing, too. But I don't need a cat in my own household, because much enjoyable kittys all around little-town. Spares my finances. ;)

Edward

Bartender

So the thing I still don't get is..... are these pajama jeans supposed to be novelty pajamas, or are they supposed to be worn as daywear, but that's just (supposedly) as comfortable as pjs? (Though frankly, I'm much more coMfortable in a suit out in public than in pajamas...).

There was a failed revolution in 1848 that provided the impetus for many idealists and progressives to set sail for the US: Franz Sigel, Carl Schurz, Max Weber, to name but three. The German American population was essential to Lincoln winning the Civil War: 250,000 served in the Union Army. They were arguably the one white ethnic group that enlisted in the Union cause primarily to abolish chattel slavery, motivated by a philosophical commitment to the equality of all.

Between that and conscription, I recall reading that an incredible proportion of those who fought in the civil war were first-generation immigrants without English as a first language: very different than the popular impression of the conflict.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

My big issue is that it's included in so many foods I love, Indian and Thai dishes in particular. A sprig on top I can remove, but when the leaves are throughout the dish, yuck!

In Canada, we tend to use "cilantro" for the leaves, "coriander" for the dried seasoning, so it's used in many ways which can turn me off a dish I'd normally love.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My return to work was planned to be a job share with someone looking to wind down and ease slowly into retirement. But like all good plans, it has grown like topsy. I should have expected it. What I didn't expect was a full blown spanner in the works over my pay.
Two months into the job and I haven't received any sort of pay advice note. Nothing! It's all sorted now, but what caused the headache was the lack of an email address. My computer is actually a satellite of my wife's. I'm told it's possible to have an email address of my own, but I declined.
This small company that I'm with use an outside firm to do all their wages, pensions and annual/sick leave. The said outside firm email all employees their pay advice. No email, no pay. Well not exactly, I was paid but it took over two months for everyone to work out that you can actually print off a hard copy of the pay advice, put it in an envelope and hand it to me.
I wonder what they would have made of my finger dial telephone?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So the thing I still don't get is..... are these pajama jeans supposed to be novelty pajamas, or are they supposed to be worn as daywear, but that's just (supposedly) as comfortable as pjs? (Though frankly, I'm much more coMfortable in a suit out in public than in pajamas...).

Between that and conscription, I recall reading that an incredible proportion of those who fought in the civil war were first-generation immigrants without English as a first language: very different than the popular impression of the conflict.
Worn as daywear according to the catalog. It had pictures of people out in public settings. It went in the recycling rather quickly, so no pictorial evidence.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy