Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Hercule

Practically Family

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
No. In North America "Sweet" is the general flavor of baked goods. Spices are generally viewed with the deepest suspicion. I blame that, like so many other awful things, on the cultural hegemony of the Scots-Irish.

Hercule

Practically Family
No. In North America "Sweet" is the general flavor of baked goods. Spices are generally viewed with the deepest suspicion. I blame that, like so many other awful things, on the cultural hegemony of the Scots-Irish.

But it can easily go overboard. Savory can be a nice change to the usual sweet baked treat.

On a similar note, a local ice cream maker was selling "fire roasted sweet corn ice cream". I had a cup, and it was really interesting. Lots of cob flavor. Kinda tasted like creamed corn. It wasn't entirely objectionable, just took you for a surprise as being out of place. I found myself taking a spoonful and thinking, I don't know... then after a while another bite. Went on like that til my cup was about 2/3rds gone then I felt I had enough of that. Still it wasn't objectionable. But now I never have to try it again. I found the same to be true of the ice cream they made with the beer.

But it can easily go overboard. Savory can be a nice change to the usual sweet baked treat.

On a similar note, a local ice cream maker was selling "fire roasted sweet corn ice cream". I had a cup, and it was really interesting. Lots of cob flavor. Kinda tasted like creamed corn. It wasn't entirely objectionable, just took you for a surprise as being out of place. I found myself taking a spoonful and thinking, I don't know... then after a while another bite. Went on like that til my cup was about 2/3rds gone then I felt I had enough of that. Still it wasn't objectionable. But now I never have to try it again. I found the same to be true of the ice cream they made with the beer.

A lot of the new ice creams work the way you describe. I love sesame seeds, so I tried Haagen Dazs' Toasted Sesame Brittle the other night. Very good flavor - the sesame came through (which isn't always the case with sesame-flavored foods) - but even though I enjoyed it, I don't care if I ever have it again.

As to the above discussion on German cookies, I'm a big fan of German Christmas cookies (and German cookies in general) as I grew up next to a German family whom we shared baked goods with (they baked them, we ate them) and learned at a young age that German baked goods had a focus on flavors / spices and, overall, much less of the full-on sugar of American baked goods.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
As to the above discussion on German cookies, I'm a big fan of German Christmas cookies (and German cookies in general) as I grew up next to a German family whom we shared baked goods with (they baked them, we ate them) and learned at a young age that German baked goods had a focus on flavors / spices and, overall, much less of the full-on sugar of American baked goods.

Pfeffernusse cookies on Christmas Eve were always a treat in my house when I was growing up.

EngProf

Practically Family
Nah, we like fried and greasy more than sweet, at least in the Northeast. But no telling what those southern or midwestern barbarians get up to.

As a non-Reconstructed Rebel, here is how proper Christmas cookies should be made:
Roll out sugar-cookie dough until ~1/8 thick. Cut with appropriate Christmas-style cookie-cutters: stars, bells, trees, Santa Clauses, etc. Bake until "done" but not brittle. Ice cookies with powdered-sugar icing colored appropriately for the type of cookie - green trees and wreaths, red Santa Clauses, yellow and red ornaments and bells, etc.
Then decorate each cookie using colored sugar and related "decorations" to add ornaments to the trees, stripes to the bells, and other Christmas-y looks.
They look great and taste even better - a tradition in our family for over sixty years and maybe beyond...

(Fried and greasy at Christmas?? - Bah humbug!)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
In our tradition we make Kolacky, Peffernusse, shortbread, Gingerbread, lemon bars, jam thumb prints, and just about any sweet or savory dough that can be forced through a cookie press. Until we had to move to town to take care of the Old Folks we used to bake between eighty and a hundred dozen cookies every season. The kitchen at my parent's place is not suitable for mass baking of that sort.

Philistine.

My only issue with gravy and such on French Fries - and don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a good poutine - is that unless all done in rapid fire, the fries get soggy, now that, I can't abide.

As a kid who grew up eating greasy spoon french fries with or without ketchup (no other options), I've come to appreciate them with mayo as well, but something you dip them in, not dumped on top of the fries for the same reason as above: nothing should be done to reduce the crispiness of the fry itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran