Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Both tramp and hobo mean someone who lives on the street in the US, but tramp is more deragatory. Buy I haven't heard either for present homeless in a while.

Tramp also refers to a loose woman, although honestly I haven't heard tramp used like that in a while. It seems to have been replaced with the s-word.

There was a bit of distinction in the Era among "bum," "tramp," and "hobo." A bum was a homeless man who didn't work for his keep, and was usually an alcoholic besides. A tramp was a homeless man who wandered on foot from town to town, and would look for odd jobs to do to support himself -- chopping wood, digging ditches, shoveling snow, etc. And a hobo was basically a tramp who moved from place to place by way of hopping rides on the railroad. Hobos were considered the aristocracy of the transient set, but hobos and tramps both disdained bums. Bums, for their part, took a sort of defiant pride in their way of life -- songs like "Hallelujah, I'm A Bum" and "The Big Rock Candy Mountain" celebrated the bum life.

The "Bum" eventually, and rather perversely, became a symbol of working-class pride in the 1940s and 1950s, thanks to the cartoons of Willard Mullin, who turned a raggedy bum figure into the enduring symbol of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

mullin_1952.gif

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I can remember, back in the early '60s, reading somewhere this distinction. "A hobo is a migratory worker. A tramp is a migratory non-worker. A bum is a stationary non-worker." The suggestion is that a hobo never resorted to panhandling unless there was absolutely no work to be had. I believe it was a professional hobo who supplied this information.

My grandfather was raised mostly by his semi-itinerant meatcutter "uncles," who followed the work from packing plant to packing plant.

He made a clear distinction between a hobo (an itinerant worker) and a bum (an idler who got by mostly on handouts). But he didn't look down his nose at bums. He found them rather entertaining.

During his visits to Seattle in his retirement years he would hang out on a bench under the pergola in Pioneer Square, which was (and is) a location popular with the resident bum population.

"Let 'em bum smokes," he advised, "but never give 'em money."

I can remember, back in the early '60s, reading somewhere this distinction. "A hobo is a migratory worker. A tramp is a migratory non-worker. A bum is a stationary non-worker." The suggestion is that a hobo never resorted to panhandling unless there was absolutely no work to be had. I believe it was a professional hobo who supplied this information.
"Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three."
Seasick Steve Wold

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
This is beyond trivial... but I took a DNA ancestry test. While I am pretty sure I'm not adopted, I am about 30% genetically what I was told I am.

And I am utterly confused, as either my "German side" is significantly Swedish or my "Polish side" is German. Unfortunately I don't have any family of origin to help me out by taking a test to see what is what (or more accurately who is who). I am into genealogy, but I am stumped. I have a lot of blood that even by generous estimates I cannot account for.

Get out your globe and look at the Baltic Sea. Note the proximity of Scandinavia and western Poland (formerly East Prussia). One of my pairs of great-grandparents were immigrants from East Prussia. Significant parts of my own DNA test were similar to yours. Scandinavians were not stay-at-homes. The Rus (after whom Russia was named) were a Scandinavian people, not Slavs.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pretty much same here. Both parents from Northern Germany, but my family name is most commonly found in Swedish phone books and the farther you go back in the old genealogy, the more likely it is that Polish names also pop up.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Our house has two full and one half bathroom, each with a sink with those "built in" mechanical plugs (curiously, one came without the lever, so it is perpetually open).

With three females with long hair being brushed at the sink/mirror, four of us brushing teeth with toothpaste that is, essentially, plaster in a tube, and one Mister Cairo shaving both face and head, these sinks plug on an almost weekly basis. We are spending about $20 a month on drain-o.

Is there a problem with rubber plugs?

Our house has two full and one half bathroom, each with a sink with those "built in" mechanical plugs (curiously, one came without the lever, so it is perpetually open).

With three females with long hair being brushed at the sink/mirror, four of us brushing teeth with toothpaste that is, essentially, plaster in a tube, and one Mister Cairo shaving both face and head, these sinks plug on an almost weekly basis. We are spending about $20 a month on drain-o.

Is there a problem with rubber plugs?

I got a friend with two long-haired daughters and one long-haired wife (I suggested he move to Bountiful, B.C. and get a couple three or four more, but ... ) who has an ongoing problem with hair-clogged drains. He keeps his drain auger at the ready.

I got but one wife, who has thick but not particularly long hair. Every couple days I remove hair from the shower drain protector. So far, so good. The last place we lived had a history of clogged drains. We were told to expect it. I used drain screens in the kitchen sinks and frequently removed hair from the shower drain protector. Never had a problem.

I got a friend with two long-haired daughters and one long-haired wife (I suggested he move to Bountiful, B.C. and get a couple three or four more, but ... ) who has an ongoing problem with hair-clogged drains. He keeps his drain auger at the ready.

I got but one wife, who has thick but not particularly long hair. Every couple days I remove hair from the shower drain protector. So far, so good. The last place we lived had a history of clogged drains. We were told to expect it. I used drain screens in the kitchen sinks and frequently removed hair from the shower drain protector. Never had a problem.

Yup, are drain problems got much, much smaller and less frequent (didn't fully disappear) with drain screens.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Get out your globe and look at the Baltic Sea. Note the proximity of Scandinavia and western Poland (formerly East Prussia). One of my pairs of great-grandparents were immigrants from East Prussia. Significant parts of my own DNA test were similar to yours. Scandinavians were not stay-at-homes. The Rus (after whom Russia was named) were a Scandinavian people, not Slavs.
Yes, I think that's it, and thanks for the info on the Rus! My "Polish" grandfather doesn't look particularly... Polish. I cannot find where my grandfather's parents are from in Poland; I know they came through Ellis Island but I haven't invested the 50 hours it would take to track them down. My Polish grandmother's parents were from on the border with the Ukraine- they look Polish.

I also had a relatively recent ancestor from Northern Africa; no idea who that is.

As for the significant portion of my DNA that is just "northwestern European" (most of me; but I'm a mutt, apparently) I have read that includes Dutch. I used to travel to the Netherlands frequently for work. I'd have people stop me on the street or clerks in stores (even in places like Amsterdam where there are droves of Americans) and start talking to me in Dutch:
Me: I'm sorry, I don't speak Dutch.
Person: But, you're Dutch. You must be Dutch.
Me: No, I'm sorry, I'm from the US.
Person: But you're from here, you're Dutch.
Me: No.
Person: Ancestors?
Me: Not that I know of.
Person: You look Dutch, you must be Dutch.

And they always looked very confused. My colleagues also asked me and explained to me that I look very Dutch, and that no one would suspect I had any other heritage. Almost everyone I've met who's Dutch in the U.S. has also asked me if I might be Dutch (but in all fairness my first and married name are Dutch-sounding).

ETA: So I've decided I'm part Dutch.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I think that's it, and thanks for the info on the Rus! My "Polish" grandfather doesn't look particularly... Polish. I cannot find where my grandfather's parents are from in Poland; I know they came through Ellis Island but I haven't invested the 50 hours it would take to track them down. My Polish grandmother's parents were from on the border with the Ukraine- they look Polish.

Polish-Ukranian border? Your people may well be Lemko (also known as Rusnaks, Rusyns, Sub-Carpathian Rus, etc) The Lemko lived in the mountains where Ukraine, Poland and Slovakia meet. They were a distinct culture and ethnic group. They were quite localist, having allegiance to their local parish rather than to any nation. Some were Eastern Rite Catholics, others Orthodox. Religion varied from village to village. After the Second World War there was border fighting between Poland and Ukraine. The Poles called the Lemko "Ukranian" and deported them into the newly vacated Pomerania and East Prussia. The Ukrainians called them "Poles" and shipped them EAst to Siberia, pretty well destroying this unique ethnic group. Here are some common Rusyn names: http://www.rusyn.com/crilalph.htm

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Polish-Ukranian border? Your people may well be Lemko (also known as Rusnaks, Rusyns, Sub-Carpathian Rus, etc) The Lemko lived in the mountains where Ukraine, Poland and Slovakia meet. They were a distinct culture and ethnic group. They were quite localist, having allegiance to their local parish rather than to any nation. Some were Eastern Rite Catholics, others Orthodox. Religion varied from village to village. After the Second World War there was border fighting between Poland and Ukraine. The Poles called the Lemko "Ukranian" and deported them into the newly vacated Pomerania and East Prussia. The Ukrainians called them "Poles" and shipped them EAst to Siberia, pretty well destroying this unique ethnic group. Here are some common Rusyn names: http://www.rusyn.com/crilalph.htm
That's fascinating. The term Lemko is familiar to me, but I'm not sure how. I know just about as much as I can about my ancestry from what was possible to get from my family. My great-grandfather was from Liszna (according to Ellis Island), which is apparently in the Lemko region (it is right on the border with Ukraine). It does list "Austrian, Polish" on his ethnicity. I looked on several name sites for the Lemko and found a couple that were *close* to his last name. I'm related to everyone with his last name in this country, so I think it was an Ellis Island mistake.

My great-aunts (three of them) traveled to Poland about two decades ago, but said they could barely understand the spoken Polish. I've always wondered how the children of immigrants who only spoke Polish with their parents (and each other) could not understand the Polish of people from the same region.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Many years ago, I heard such a 'sermon.' Those who preach such, fail to remember that one of the Christian church's greatest saints, Mary Magdalene, sold her body for money, a prostitute in other words. Everything that I have ever read, or heard, of Mary has been highly sanitised.

Just for information to whomever is interested, there's nothing in the Bible that says Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. Rather, it says that she had 7 demons. People apparently though thought when she was mentioned in Luke 8:2 that she was the same woman as mentioned in the previous chapter (Luke 7:36, the woman who anoints Jesus) - but this woman ends up being a different Mary according to the Gospel of John, Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus (John 12). There are several Mary's in the Bible, and people get them confused. However, neither does Scripture anywhere say that Mary of Bethany was a prostitute, just a generic "sinner". The Gospels do speak of prostitutes (and tax collectors) following Jesus, but no prostitutes are named.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
That's fascinating. The term Lemko is familiar to me, but I'm not sure how. I know just about as much as I can about my ancestry from what was possible to get from my family. My great-grandfather was from Liszna (according to Ellis Island), which is apparently in the Lemko region (it is right on the border with Ukraine). It does list "Austrian, Polish" on his ethnicity. I looked on several name sites for the Lemko and found a couple that were *close* to his last name. I'm related to everyone with his last name in this country, so I think it was an Ellis Island mistake.

My great-aunts (three of them) traveled to Poland about two decades ago, but said they could barely understand the spoken Polish. I've always wondered how the children of immigrants who only spoke Polish with their parents (and each other) could not understand the Polish of people from the same region.

This is because your family probably spoke the Rusyn dialect, which bears the sort of relation to Polish as English does to, say Netherlandisch.

Just for information to whomever is interested, there's nothing in the Bible that says Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. Rather, it says that she had 7 demons. People apparently though thought when she was mentioned in Luke 8:2 that she was the same woman as mentioned in the previous chapter (Luke 7:36, the woman who anoints Jesus) - but this woman ends up being a different Mary according to the Gospel of John, Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus (John 12). There are several Mary's in the Bible, and people get them confused. However, neither does Scripture anywhere say that Mary of Bethany was a prostitute, just a generic "sinner". The Gospels do speak of prostitutes (and tax collectors) following Jesus, but no prostitutes are named.
You are absolutely correct.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

...As for the significant portion of my DNA that is just "northwestern European" (most of me; but I'm a mutt, apparently) I have read that includes Dutch. I used to travel to the Netherlands frequently for work. I'd have people stop me on the street or clerks in stores (even in places like Amsterdam where there are droves of Americans) and start talking to me in Dutch:
Me: I'm sorry, I don't speak Dutch.
Person: But, you're Dutch. You must be Dutch.
Me: No, I'm sorry, I'm from the US.
Person: But you're from here, you're Dutch.
Me: No.
Person: Ancestors?
Me: Not that I know of.
Person: You look Dutch, you must be Dutch.

And they always looked very confused. My colleagues also asked me and explained to me that I look very Dutch, and that no one would suspect I had any other heritage. Almost everyone I've met who's Dutch in the U.S. has also asked me if I might be Dutch (but in all fairness my first and married name are Dutch-sounding).

ETA: So I've decided I'm part Dutch.
Over the years I've had a few people stop me here in southern California--on the street, in a store, wherever--and attempt to guess my heritage. "Oh, you're from 'fill-in-the-blank', aren't you?" And they'll usually guess Ireland, Scotland, or Germany. Why they would assume this I don't know, and they were always surprised when they heard my American accent as I told them I've lived in southern California my whole life. Now, as I've mentioned here before, I was adopted. I was told my heritage is Irish, German, English, and Scottish, so those people may have been correct but I suppose I'll never really know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran