Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Haversack

One Too Many
Beside McKellan's Richard III, another movie which features a DH 89 Dragon Rapide is the 1954 Ealing Studios comedy, The Maggie. In it, an American millionaire hires one to search off the coast of Scotland for the boat carrying his furniture. An amusing movie in which the peculiarities of marine insurance play a part.

Eleven years ago I posted a link to a site about Imperial Airways that had a list of all the aircraft that IA flew including the Rapide. Unfortunately, the site is gone and the URL poached. I think the prettiest aircraft they flew was the DH 91 Albatross. A four-engined craft that looked like the ancestor of the Lockheed Constellation by way of the Mosquito. The thread I started is http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aircraft-of-imperial-airways.11296/

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
upload_2018-3-2_8-14-2.png

Adults referring to him as "Thomas the Train."

He's "Thomas the TANK ENGINE," god@mn!t!! When he pulls carriages (coaches)Annie and Clarabel, or goods wagons (freight cars) , they constitute a train when they are running under order or pursuant to timetable.

Geez... four year olds get this. Why can't some adults??

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
View attachment 109053

He's "Thomas the TANK ENGINE," god@mn!t!! When he pulls carriages (coaches)Annie and Clarabel, or goods wagons (freight cars) , they constitute a train when they are running under order or pursuant to timetable.

I strongly dislike some of the messages in Thomas. My son sometimes catches it on TV and LOVES it because trains are cool. And I wince every time they equate value to work and usefulness. I normally try to distract him to turn it off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The only time I've enjoyed a good slice of pizza was from two Italian brothers from New York.
It was so delicious that I didn't mind their "attitude".
One time I ordered a slice to eat there and one to go.
Before leaving with my "to go" pizza,
I was ordered not to heat it up in the
micro-wave oven.
I felt like I was bring reprimanded by my
mother.
But like I said, it was so good, I didn't
mind it.

I'm rambling....

I hate going to the hospital!
:mad::confused::(

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sorry you are ill. If its any comfort- most things are nothing.

Thank you, actually I’m not ill. I’ve been fortunate that I have never have had to go to the hospital.
But the doc who gave me an exam advised me that I should. She convinced me that
if I didn’t go, later it might be too late.
Besides she said they would give me a happy pill and I wouldn’t feel a thing.
But as I’ve said before, it’s trivial, but it's the waiting that gets to me.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I strongly dislike some of the messages in Thomas. My son sometimes catches it on TV and LOVES it because trains are cool. And I wince every time they equate value to work and usefulness. I normally try to distract him to turn it off.

In my circle of CFRN ("Certified F*****g Railroad Nut") and foamer (people who get so excited about certain rail prototypes that they will, literally, foam at the mouth upon seeing same) friends, Thomas induced a lot of groans about 30 years ago when the series hit television. My take was to give it time: it might get little kids passionate about locomotives, trains, and such. That has played out, somewhat. I'm meeting Millennial train fans who were first hooked when they saw the Thomas series or read the Railway Series books.

Perhaps I view that "really useful engine" tagline in a somewhat more historical context. Steam locomotives were being phased out in Britain during the time that the original Awdry books were written (took place over a greater period of time than here in the US) and the usefulness of a locomotive to the railway often meant the difference between a full overhaul or scrapping.

We were more rapid in our replacement of steam with diesel electrics here in the US. While steam was running in the UK on mainlines into the 1970's, in the US, by 1960 it was pretty much a memory. It really boiled down to greatly reduced maintenance costs. The downside of it, of course, was that whole towns ( i.e., division points where roundhouse and back shop crews worked three shifts, 365 days a year) were often thrown out of work. By the end, steam locomotives had gotten more powerful, fuel and water efficient, faster, cleaner, etc., but the writing was on the wall and the diesel electric takeover was inevitable. Management as much as decreed it by fiat.

Your son is right: trains are cool. Wish that he could have seen some of the really awesome intercity trains that were still around in the 60's that I got to see and ride as a kid. But then, what I would not give to see the glory days of the 30's and 40's, when the Broadway Limited and the 20th Century Limited (of the Pennsylvania and New York Central, respectively) battled to establish the premier train between New York City and Chicago?

View attachment 109053

You already know the answer to this. It's like any other personal interest - if someone doesn't share that interest, they just don't care and such details are ultimately unimportant to them. People who grew up watching Thomas get it because it's been explained to them; the vast majority of adults I know don't even think about trains until they're stuck at a crossing waiting for a slow-moving freight train to get out of their way.

Thank you, actually I’m not ill. I’ve been fortunate that I have never have had to go to the hospital.
But the doc who gave me an exam advised me that I should. She convinced me that
if I didn’t go, later it might be too late.
Besides she said they would give me a happy pill and I wouldn’t feel a thing.
But as I’ve said before, it’s trivial, but it's the waiting that gets to me.
Ah, I'm guessing a colonoscope will be a part of your stay? If so, yeah, the preparation is absolutely the worst part of it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In the older days, humans reached 40. Today, we are still reaching 40 and after that, we are ailing further 40 years. :(

The key for me after passing 40 and not ailing has been that I am very active with
sports, cycling & tennis are best. Helps that I live where the weather permits me to go outdoors most of the year.
The thing is... you got to like doing the
physical stuff. I love it! :)

You are not wrong, I had all but forgotten that scene. No doubt when we get to Classic Wings, there will be some information about the aircraft's history. I have found that with other historic memorabilia, most notably steam trains.
You do have a very retentive memory, or are you, like me, a fan of The Bard?

Why indeed! The Bard doth pleases me. And Richard III, despite many risings and settings of the sun doth never becomes tiresome to me. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran