Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The waiting before going to the hospital.
That was me last November, I had the most awful sense of apprehension prior to my hip replacement. After the surgery, the pendulum swung the other way and serious boredom set in. I had books and the internet, but after a watching daytime TV I gave that a miss. Do people actually watch that dross?
Why indeed! The Bard doth pleases me. And Richard III, despite many risings and settings of the sun doth never becomes tiresome to me. :D
Have you seen my signature?
"Expectation is the root of all heartache."
Heartache wasn't around in The Bard's day, what he actually said was:
"Oft expectation fails, and most oft there where most it promises.", it's from All's Well That Ends Well.

I strongly dislike some of the messages in Thomas. My son sometimes catches it on TV and LOVES it because trains are cool. And I wince every time they equate value to work and usefulness. I normally try to distract him to turn it off.
ChiTown made a good point, it probably won't change your opinion, nor would I want it to, but if you ever get the chance, read one or two of The Reverend Awdry's Thomas the Tank Engine books. It will give you a different insight into The Reverend Awdry.

Your son is right: trains are cool. Wish that he could have seen some of the really awesome intercity trains that were still around in the 60's that I got to see and ride as a kid. But then, what I would not give to see the glory days of the 30's and 40's, when the Broadway Limited and the 20th Century Limited (of the Pennsylvania and New York Central, respectively) battled to establish the premier train between New York City and Chicago?
Next time you cross the pond, I suggest that you fly over Ireland, instead carry on to Heathrow, catch a train on the new Elizabeth line that crosses London on it's east/west axis, book yourself into The St Pancras Station hotel, then after exploring our capital city, get yourself booked onto the steam hauled by Flying Scotsman, from Kings Cross, non stop to the City of York, where you can seriously indulge yourself at the National Railway Museum.
http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/events/scotsman-on-the-tracks/

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In my circle of CFRN ("Certified F*****g Railroad Nut") and foamer (people who get so excited about certain rail prototypes that they will, literally, foam at the mouth upon seeing same) friends, Thomas induced a lot of groans about 30 years ago when the series hit television. My take was to give it time: it might get little kids passionate about locomotives, trains, and such. That has played out, somewhat. I'm meeting Millennial train fans who were first hooked when they saw the Thomas series or read the Railway Series books.

Perhaps I view that "really useful engine" tagline in a somewhat more historical context. Steam locomotives were being phased out in Britain during the time that the original Awdry books were written (took place over a greater period of time than here in the US) and the usefulness of a locomotive to the railway often meant the difference between a full overhaul or scrapping.

We were more rapid in our replacement of steam with diesel electrics here in the US. While steam was running in the UK on mainlines into the 1970's, in the US, by 1960 it was pretty much a memory. It really boiled down to greatly reduced maintenance costs. The downside of it, of course, was that whole towns ( i.e., division points where roundhouse and back shop crews worked three shifts, 365 days a year) were often thrown out of work. By the end, steam locomotives had gotten more powerful, fuel and water efficient, faster, cleaner, etc., but the writing was on the wall and the diesel electric takeover was inevitable. Management as much as decreed it by fiat.

Your son is right: trains are cool. Wish that he could have seen some of the really awesome intercity trains that were still around in the 60's that I got to see and ride as a kid. But then, what I would not give to see the glory days of the 30's and 40's, when the Broadway Limited and the 20th Century Limited (of the Pennsylvania and New York Central, respectively) battled to establish the premier train between New York City and Chicago?
I'll agree that was probably the original thought. And that's not a bad one...

I think what bothers me is:
1. I often see many of individuals I know from my cancer circle described as a "drain on the system." I don't want to get into a political debate, but I've seen far too many people get told they're not useful, don't deserve treatment, don't deserve disability, don't deserve health insurance, etc. Now do I know these "people" are idiots? Yes, but they vote. I don't think we need any more equating use with societal good.

2. I don't like how the engines are always out to please the Sir Topenhat (spelling may be off). I don't want me kids to act to please me, I don't want them to act to please their teachers. I want them to develop their own self-worth and aim to please their own high internally set goals. Intrinsic motivation, that sort of stuff.

I just don't like the dynamic.

We take the kids on at least a yearly train ride (we will do at least two this year), since we are now much closer to a historic rail- 3 hours one way. It's fun. I've collected quite a wooden train set for him. He also has legos to build trains. He can train it up as much as he wants, but I think I'd go nuts if I had to listen to Thomas everyday. Not because of what it's teaching my kid (because I can teach them otherwise) but because it's reinforcing some other kid's parent's attitude.

I'd love it if maybe they talked about other ways to be useful (which aren't all work or about pleasing your boss) and maybe they do. I'd rather get out my son's train set and distract him with some imaginative play, or look at real train pictures or make up train stories for that half an hour.

1. I often see many of individuals I know from my cancer circle described as a "drain on the system." I don't want to get into a political debate, but I've seen far too many people get told they're not useful, don't deserve treatment, don't deserve disability, don't deserve health insurance, etc. Now do I know these "people" are idiots? Yes, but they vote. I don't think we need any more equating use with societal good. ...

It's a tendency of the species to view the way things are as the natural order. Thems that gots are thems that gets cuz that's the way God wants it to be so come to peaceful terms with it, or some such idiocy as that.

I've seen too many people be ruined financially -- to lose whatever modest material gain they've made through honest work -- by a health crisis to themselves or family members. And it outrages me. Fearing for one's own life, or the life of one's spouse or child, is trying enough without the very real prospect of destitution piled on top of it. It leaves me feeling ashamed for all of us.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The last inter city train system in America is in my meck of the woods. The NICTD South Shore Line.

Mich City and East, it still has many of the features of a true electric interurban: street running in Michigan City, and wide open, full out speed on that single track east of the shops to South Bend. Glad I got to ride it in the early 80's when they still were running the old orange cars in revenue service.

The only time I've enjoyed a good slice of pizza was from two Italian brothers from New York....
:mad::confused::(

This can't be. Hardly a week goes by that I don't enjoy a good slice of pizza and can't image life without that.

Much, much more importantly - I hope test results turn out well, sounds as if your doctor is just doing the smart, precautious thing.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

1. I often see many of individuals I know from my cancer circle described as a "drain on the system." I don't want to get into a political debate, but I've seen far too many people get told they're not useful, don't deserve treatment, don't deserve disability, don't deserve health insurance, etc. Now do I know these "people" are idiots? Yes, but they vote. I don't think we need any more equating use with societal good.

You're preaching to the choir on this one here. I'd maintain that the price of living in a Western democracy is that we willingly take on the obligations of the social contract. And there's a lot more to this than the simple altruism of helping those less fortunate. We define who we are by how we treat those among us who need such assistance. Rather than a "drain on the system," such individuals are vital among us. By rendering the dignity that they deserve, we affirm our own dignity. And that's as necessary of a societal good as any- likely more so.

Drawing a lesson from the Era that we discuss so often here: whatever flaws Herbert Hoover displayed as Chief Executive after the Crash of '29, no one can ever- ever- deny that his efforts to alleviate starvation as director of the American Relief Administration- both in Belgium immediately after the First World War and in the Soviet Union in the early 20's- won him praise. His efforts in Russia were particularly remarkable. He despised Bolshevism as a political option, but had the attitude that, "Twenty million people are starving. Whatever their politics, they shall be fed!" Maxim Gorky wrote him, "Your help will enter history as a unique, gigantic achievement, worthy of the greatest glory, which will long remain in the memory of millions of Russians whom you have saved from death." That was a humanitarian effort undertaken where Americans felt that we were doing the right thing, and while it may have abetted a political system that most Americans distrusted and disliked, they felt that it brought out virtue in themselves. They saw it as a societal good that set this country as the "city on the hill" among other nations. And while it wasn't all pure altruism (supporting farm prices and possibly affecting a regime change in Russia were certainly behind it as well), the fact is that most Americans saw it then as an affirmation of the better angels of their nature.

2. I don't like how the engines are always out to please the Sir Topenhat (spelling may be off). I don't want me kids to act to please me, I don't want them to act to please their teachers. I want them to develop their own self-worth and aim to please their own high internally set goals. Intrinsic motivation, that sort of stuff.

They refer to him as "The Fat Controller" in the UK: here in the US, referencing someone's weight like that isn't considered polite- so he became Sir Toppem Hatt. Kind of a lovable, benevolent dictator type, actually, although he can blow his fuse now & then. I have noticed that as the series progressed he became less & less of a heavy hand.

But I'd agree that reinforcing any inclination to always please the boss, or a teacher, or a parent, or a coach, can be a pretty miserable way to raise a kid. I suppose that, since Thomas & Co. are locomotives their ability to set higher internal goals may be limited. Unlike people, they cannot shuck the limitations of the work environment at day's end, and are restricted to a roundhouse. Any movement in their lives is restricted to a 4 foot 8 1/2 inch gauge: kids have to navigate in a broader dimension, so merely pleasing the Controller will never suffice. The engines all have different personalities (and if you've ever dealt with a steam engine you might discover that may not be much of a stretch) and they have to deal with one another in daily situations, and I suppose a kid can draw life lessons from their conflict resolution.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
.... I hope test results turn out well, sounds as if your doctor is just doing the smart,
precautious thing.

Others in the past have expressed that it's the best thing to do.
But it went over my head.
I've never had flu shots or physical checkups in my life.
The only instance has been going to the dentist which I loathe
more than hospitals.

But something clicked when she looked at me, eye to eye
and told me...

"...you're in good shape and I glad you are active with sports,
I wished my other patients would do the same.
You say you love tennis and been playing for years.
Let ask you something...
do you still play with the same strings on your racket since you
started the game?
No, you probably updated them so that you could continue enjoying the game.

Why not do the same with your body so that you can continue with the game you
love so much?"

:cool:

more than hospitals.

and told me...

Let ask you something...
started the game?

love so much?"

I had a check up in college (for free) and the next one when I turned 40 - but have now had one ever since. The argument and logic to do so is too strong, so despite it going against my default setting, I get one every year / eyes checked every other year.

If you had the test I think you did, I have had it and there are two truths to it - worst day-ahead prep ever / best sleep day of ever.

more than hospitals.

and told me...

Let ask you something...
started the game?

love so much?"

Your doctor has clearly had experience dealing with "hard sell" patients such as yourself...and me. :D I don't dislike doctors, but I don't see the need to visit them professionally unless I absolutely have to, and even then I'll put up a good fight before surrendering to the inevitable.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Your doctor has clearly had experience dealing with "hard sell" patients such as yourself...and me. :D I don't dislike doctors, but I don't see the need to visit them professionally unless I absolutely have to, and even then I'll put up a good fight before surrendering to the inevitable.

I couldn't have said it any better.
Although I have been fortunate to have someone knock some sense into me
to take the initiative before it's too
late.

Last edited:
I couldn't have said it any better.
Although I have been fortunate to have someone knock some sense into me
to take the initiative before it gets too
late.

Lost a cousin to cancer a few months back. She was a marathon runner. Didn't drink or smoke and was careful about her diet. She died on her 63rd birthday.

You are one lucky guy to have a wife that loves you so much she will do whatever it takes for your well being!
You have NO idea.
I1SQyi8.gif

As someone - as noted above - who didn't have a check up from college until turning 40, I used to think there was no reason to go to the doctor until I was sick and hadn't gotten better after a long period.

But the logic of getting a check up is too compelling. Today, many things can be caught early and treated relatively easily during an annual checkup that could kill you if ignored until "it" becomes noticeable to you.

That is why I changed and force myself - against my default setting - to get an annual checkup.

Is this a guarantee of anything - nope. I can still drop dead at any moment. But life is about playing the odds - and getting an annual checkup seems to be the smart money.

And playing against type, super girlfriend is worse than I - I have to beg and cajole to get her to go for an annual or to the doctor even when sick. For our first years together, we both supported each others "don't go to the doctor" view. Now we push each other to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran