Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Inanimate objects, don't let anyone tell you that they are simply inanimate. The crash of saucepans and the very unlady-like language that followed, told me that our saucepans really do have a mind of their own.

How I sympathised with Tina, last week I was putting a couple of glass dessert dishes away. A wine glass, determined to get out, made three attempts before I started talking to it. I invited it to jump, seeing as it had every intention of doing so. It must have caught the disapproval in my tone, either that or it is fluent in profanity. Mercifully, it gave up.
There's a coffee table leg in my living room I'm sure goes out of its way to connect with people's feet in a most violent and unnecessary manner. It's managed to attack every member of the household on more than one occasion, and has indeed broken toes several times. It is a nefarious and determined piece of metal, and continues to pursue its nasty agenda regardless of the epithets thrown at it.

Inanimate objects, don't let anyone tell you that they are simply inanimate. The crash of saucepans and the very unlady-like language that followed, told me that our saucepans really do have a mind of their own.

How I sympathised with Tina, last week I was putting a couple of glass dessert dishes away. A wine glass, determined to get out, made three attempts before I started talking to it. I invited it to jump, seeing as it had every intention of doing so. It must have caught the disapproval in my tone, either that or it is fluent in profanity. Mercifully, it gave up.
I feel this way about cords. I put them away separate from one another only to find that they have become entangled when I need them. :D

Edward

Bartender
I feel this way about cords. I put them away separate from one another only to find that they have become entangled when I need them. :D

The first guitar lesson I ever learned was how to coil the cables properly for storage. If only all leads for everything worked as easily as that! Glad phone charger leads have improved, though. Back in the day when they were both proprietary (so much more expensive) and flimsier, as a rule, I had a pair of kittens who were teething.... Marlene wasn't so bad, but Greta was a nightmare for chewing 'em up.

The first guitar lesson I ever learned was how to coil the cables properly for storage. If only all leads for everything worked as easily as that! Glad phone charger leads have improved, though. Back in the day when they were both proprietary (so much more expensive) and flimsier, as a rule, I had a pair of kittens who were teething.... Marlene wasn't so bad, but Greta was a nightmare for chewing 'em up.
Early in my short lived off and on career in construction, I was taught the proper way to coil extension cords so as they would not become knotted up and would still be easily undone. I was pretty happy to share that knowledge with anyone who had an extension cord twenty feet or more in length.
:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Every sound tech I've ever worked with teaches cable winding as the first thing any noob has to learn before they're allowed to step foot on the stage. Our current tech winds all his cables on Home Depot garden hose reels, and woe betide anyone who winds them wrong-end-to. XLR microphone cables do not appreciate reverse tension.

Our smalltown's central supermarket now installed brandnew checkouts, plus indeed three self-checkouts.

I'm counting the days, until they will dissappear. ;)

Commercials for Lume. Actually, any commercials that are cheap disgusting shock value to get my attention.
I’m guessing the ads are effective, what with their appeal to what too many people feel self-conscious about, unrealistically and unreasonably, in most cases. (It may be likened to a flower, but it ain’t a rose, and no reasonable person expects it to be. And really, if one’s sniffer is getting within such proximity as to notice [in all but the most extreme cases], well, he or she oughtn’t be put off by it, and very likely wouldn’t be.)

I’m left to wonder just what if anything that product contains that isn’t in other, less costly deodorants.

Last edited:
Also my favorite storebrand classic toothpaste is now finally remodeled to todays more gelatinous toothpaste, bah.

But we still have fine classic toothpaste alternatives. You know Palmolive's Dentagard? :)

I’m guessing the ads are effective, what with their appeal to what too many people feel self-conscious about, unrealistically and unreasonably, in most cases. (It may be likened to a flower, but it ain’t a rose, and no reasonable person expects it to be. And really, if one’s sniffer is getting within such proximity as to notice [in all but the most extreme cases], well, he or she oughtn’t be put off by it, and very likely wouldn’t be.)

I’m left to wonder just what if anything that product contains that isn’t in other, less costly deodorants.
Lady ToE purchased a stick of Lume for me as a joke for Christmas. we both enjoy complaining about Lume’s commercials. We’ve moved from annoyance to having fun mocking them. The deodorant itself has a stink about it that I guess would mask the smell of one’s crotch, crack, and flaps, but I prefer to bathe regularly instead of masking my stench.

I have most likely complained about this before but it still annoys me when neighbors wash their yard clippings and garbage into the gutter and then down the street. The gutter in front of my house is weed and garbage free and I do not appreciate the Slacks up the street on the rare occasions they do yard work, giving me their trash. Thankfully, I have a powerful leaf blower so I can make sure they get back what is theirs.

I have most likely complained about this before but it still annoys me when neighbors wash their yard clippings and garbage into the gutter and then down the street. The gutter in front of my house is weed and garbage free and I do not appreciate the Slacks up the street on the rare occasions they do yard work, giving me their trash. Thankfully, I have a powerful leaf blower so I can make sure they get back what is theirs.
I’d imagine that’s contrary to local code. A neighbor here blows autumn leaves into the street a day ahead of the street sweeper’s scheduled visits. It’s also about the only time none of his three cars is parked on the street.

I’m not one to drop a dime, though. A person could find a code violation on most of the properties in this subdivision if he looked hard enough.

I’d imagine that’s contrary to local code. A neighbor here blows autumn leaves into the street a day ahead of the street sweeper’s scheduled visits. It’s also about the only time none of his three cars is parked on the street.

I’m not one to drop a dime, though. A person could find a code violation on most of the properties in this subdivision if he looked hard enough.
It is but the leaf blower puts things back to how and where they should be So there is no need for a call. As it is, they are often visited by code and law enforcement.
There is a neighbor down the street who likes to blow his leaves and grass clippings out into the street and across onto his neighbor’s lawn. On a few occasions it has been fun to watch the wind blow it right back onto his property.

^^^^^^
Three doors up is a house with two cars and a hi-cube van in the driveway that haven’t moved in what must be at least a year. The front “lawn” got weed-whacked just once last year.

But they’re quiet and there isn’t traffic going in and out at all hours and I’ve yet to hear gunshots emanating from there, so I figure they’re just scraping by (can’t afford to fix the dead cars) and show no signs of engaging in crime to fill the gap. So I leave ‘em be.

I’d rather have them for neighbors than put up with HOA regulations. And they aren’t leaving their trash for the neighbors to pick up.

I occasionally stop by a forum devoted to home stereo equipment — vintage stuff, primarily, which is where my limited interest in such things lies.

One frequent participant makes a habit of railing against what he sees as excessive prices some people are paying for what he characterizes as “crap.” It drives up prices for vintage gear in general, he says, including the good stuff that appeals to the more sophisticated, such as himself, and that’s why it ticks him off.

Well, okay. There’s probably something to his complaint. But he disregards that trite but nonetheless valid adage that vintage/collectible/etc. stuff is worth what someone will pay. I wouldn’t pay what some will for this stuff, crap or otherwise. And it’s true that prices for vintage audio gear has escalated dramatically in recent years, but still, that’s on account of there being greater interest in a limited resource. There’s only so much 50-plus year old gear out there, and lotsa people want it.

It also disregards what some audiophiles consider the inferior quality of the old stuff. Paying anything for it is a waste, in their minds.

Me, I just like the way the old stuff looks. If it’s working the way it’s supposed to, that‘s all I ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner