Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't mind them getting all the money they can get -- as long as they don't show up at camp looking like the "before" picture in a Weight Watchers ad.

8NNgi0fh.jpg

It's great if your nickname is "Panda," as long as you're not *built* like one.

It doesn't bother me, perhaps using the term eye watering gave you that impression. The top earners are paid anything from £100K to £250K per week. The clubs are pushing up entrance costs all the time. I use the time honoured way of protest, don't go.

Actually, it was the description of your enjoyment of the game as having been "soured" to which I was referring. I'm just having a hard time reconciling your having been "soured" and "protesting" with "it doesn't bother me". Evidence is to the contrary.

At any rate, I understand why fans (of soccer or American football or baseball or any other spectator sport) get upset at rising ticket prices, I just don't understand why they begrudge players for making a percentage of the profits obtained from their labor.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The time to worry about Sandoval's weight was *before* you gave him another $75MM

Exactly. That's almost $290,000 a pound.

What's amazing to me is that the guy can play third base at all with all that avoirdupois in the way. We had George Scott at third for a while, but was half the size he swelled up to later in his career, and still had trouble moving around.

Exactly. That's almost $290,000 a pound.

If Sandoval is 255 lbs, I'm the queen of England.

What's amazing to me is that the guy can play third base at all with all that avoirdupois in the way. We had George Scott at third for a while, but was half the size he swelled up to later in his career, and still had trouble moving around.

It's even more amazing that he came up as a catcher. But he's ate his way toward 1B.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it was the description of your enjoyment of the game as having been "soured" to which I was referring. I'm just having a hard time reconciling your having been "soured" and "protesting" with "it doesn't bother me". Evidence is to the contrary.
There's some ambiguity here. It's not the club's wage bill that I object to, it's the inflated ticket price. The way I object to that is to stay away. The inflated wage bill has had serious consequences for many clubs. What was once an enjoyable Saturday afternoon no longer is. That's what has soured what was once a pleasure.
You pay your money, you take your choice, I now go to Rugby matches , at half the price of a soccer ticket. Others have found it cheaper to travel across the channel and attend games in France.

JennDarling

New in Town
My dear old mother has never said the word "hello" on a telephone in her life. When she calls she doesn't even wait for *me* to say hello before she says "I wanna tell you what that sister of yours did this time" or "Well, here's what's happening with my bladder."

And she used to work for the phone company. "The Voice With A Smile" indeed.

This reminds me of an insurance commercial that I've been seeing lately. A black-suited secret-agent type is battling bad guys on the roof of some building when his cell phone rings. He answers it, thinking it's his backup calling, when you hear a voice say "So the squirrels are back in the attic again" with a shot of an older woman (who turns out to be the agent's mother) sitting in a parlor paging through a catalog while talking on the phone. She continues to talk over him protesting that he's busy and has to go.

I've now started to answer calls from my parents this way. :)

I know the athlete-excess-weight conversation is lighthearted, so let me add this, for some reason, there are a few positions in sports where some athletes seem to be able to use being, what by general standards is considered, overweight to their advantage. CC Sabathia had his best years lugging around quite a gut - I always assumed, by accident or planing, he used that weight for torque or leverage to his pitching skills. Felt the same thing about George Forman when he resurrected his boxing career - the extra weight seemed to work for him. And Phil Mickelson was able to win majors sporting quite a gut as well. Not something I'd recommend to a budding athlete, but there are always anomalies.

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
I don't mind them getting all the money they can get -- as long as they don't show up at camp looking like the "before" picture in a Weight Watchers ad.

8NNgi0fh.jpg

It's great if your nickname is "Panda," as long as you're not *built* like one.

What are you talking about? He's got the body of a god... ... ... Buddha!

[mods: please delete if deemed offensive or otherwise inappropriate]

Last edited:

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
This reminds me of an insurance commercial that I've been seeing lately. A black-suited secret-agent type is battling bad guys on the roof of some building when his cell phone rings. He answers it, thinking it's his backup calling, when you hear a voice say "So the squirrels are back in the attic again" with a shot of an older woman (who turns out to be the agent's mother) sitting in a parlor paging through a catalog while talking on the phone. She continues to talk over him protesting that he's busy and has to go.
This makes me laugh every single time. "He says it's personal this time." The way she says that so casually gets me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mishaps are legendary. How did I break my arm? I was dancing on top of a chair and it fell. (No it wasn't a wild party. I was 11.)

The trick is finding ways to give your scars and wounds personality. I have a long, intense slash scar on my left arm I got when it was sliced open by the edge of the door on the popcorn machine years ago -- and when I see people noticiing it I tell them with absolutely straight face that it's a souvenir of the night I had to throw out a drunk who pulled a razor on me. When they recoil, I add "...but you should see what *he* looks like."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner