Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

CDs are definitely more convenient, though they lack the ritual of putting a vinyl LP on the turntable. I think that lack of immediate convenience and ritual involved in vinyl is a big part of the appeal for a lot of collectors as well. It's the same reason that pipe-smoking is a hobby, but cigarettes are a nasty habit, or why we don't have myriad online forums dedicated to the art of shaving with a cartridge razor and foam from a can... The romance factor undoubtable matters, and enough I think to affect our perception.
I would argue that it’s not just perception alone, that there are objective differences in the sound of vinyl vs digital. Not that one is inherently “better”, but the difference is perceptible.

Likewise, since you’ll never convince me that on those 47-blade cartridge razor any more than the first blade does any actual cutting, that DE razors are more cost effective in the long run, which is a point in their favor.

That said, the rituals of shaving and putting on the record does sooth my troubled soul.

Certainly passes the time. As I've long said, pipe smoking is more of a hobby than a habit.

“A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth” - I’m sure said by someone.

I think in part there was a bit of a backlash against shonky attempts to sell us the same stuff all over again on the Ne! and Improved! formats. Most of the hardcore audiophiles I know stuck with vinyl as default, and only carefully selected CDs. It seems it was much like the VHS to DVD transfer: CDs could provide an equally good sound* - the secret was how they were recorded and mixed. We've all seen those shonky DVD transfers where all they did was dump an old VHS content onto the DVD, and it looked all wrong, the picture quality was poor, and the rest. Same thing could happen with audio.

CDs are definitely more convenient, though they lack the ritual of putting a vinyl LP on the turntable. I think that lack of immediate convenience and ritual involved in vinyl is a big part of the appeal for a lot of collectors as well. It's the same reason that pipe-smoking is a hobby, but cigarettes are a nasty habit, or why we don't have myriad online forums dedicated to the art of shaving with a cartridge razor and foam from a can... The romance factor undoubtable matters, and enough I think to affect our perception.

Yes. We get that on the Chap scene a lot. There are occasionally folks who turn up who miss the satire and/or think it's an excuse to air attitudes that are, well, let's just say best left in the past. It's generally darkly amusing to watch them realise that they're not even close to being surrounded by the like minds they assumed. While a broad church can indeed be a very positive thing, there are certainly elements of the British vintage scene I've encountered who lean to the "wasn't Britain better before women and ethnics got uppity?" mindset. It's always the type who bang on the most about "winning the war", Spitfires and Churchill that are in many ways far closer in their social attitudes to the losing side. Funny thing is most of That Type I encounter often have little genuine interest in the actual period or the clothes, more just seeking a 'safe space' to vent attitudes and ideas generally shunned today.

One of the bigwigs in my Club was once sat at a dinner besides a landed gentry type. When The Chap came up in conversation, the latter said "I can't work out if it's for people like me, or taking the p*ss out of people like me." Came the answer "well, it’s' sort of both". Which is healthy, imo.
I too often find myself dealing with challenging characters who assume my outward appearance indicates I share their perspectives on social and political matters. It’s not that there isn’t some overlap (which is true of pretty every person you’ll likely ever get to know on a level beyond the superficial), but the circles are distinct.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Any interest to open a new thread "Top-smoking pipes", where we could list and discuss our best working pipes?
I'm just asking.

It's been a while since we had a good pipe thread. Worth trawling the archives a bit first just to see if there's one can be revived, but there's a few of us in these parts who partake the occasional pipe, so worth a try.

Today kind of a historical day in the E.U. !!

Today, THE EUROPEAN SUPREMECOURT will declare it's final opinion to the "fingerprint-obligation" in our ID carts/passports!

The final sentence will be spoken a while later.

There's a thing, wondering me every time.

Why are people sometimes complaining, that they don't succeed to train their cats in basic things??

I never had a cat in my household, but I'm giving cats play and massage, every time I got the occasion. And I NEVER saw a real difference to little kids, because:

-when I call familiar cats with my special noise, they come, because they know the command
-when they do forbidden action, I raise my voice and they comprehend and stop

And I never had own kids, too!
Could it be that easy with kids, too??

I can see how long haul truckers had a practical use for it, keeping up on road conditions and traffic at freight terminals and such. And hours alone in the cab of a truck might have been made more tolerable by conversations with similarly situated people.

And maybe they have their entertainment the easier (and cheaper) way, if countryside is flat, these days.

I still have my UHF-only handheld transceiver from the hobbyscene, too! Not in use since a long time, but still working accu battery.

5 Watt nominal, circa 3,5 Watt practically. 16 channels, 400-470 MHz.
Theoretical, you could talk over up to 75 kilometers in a flat countryside, a TOTALLY flat countryside.

It's not forbidden here to own the amateur radio device or receive with it. Only sending is forbidden for unauthorized persons.

The Sundance Channel is airing a marathon of Gilligan's Island today. Before some of the episodes, and at the end of each commercial break during those episodes, Sundance decided this warning needed to be aired:

"This program includes language and cultural stereotypes inconsistent with modern standards.

Gilligan's Island was made in the 60's. Times change, but the castaways are still stranded.

Viewer discretion is advised
."

Why? Because the episode featured actors in very "exaggerated for comedic effect" costumes and makeup playing "head-hunting natives".

Seriously? Is anyone out there thinking Gilligan's Island (if they even know what it is) is historically accurate?

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The Sundance Channel is airing a marathon of Gilligan's Island today. Before some of the episodes, and at the end of each commercial break during those episodes, Sundance decided this warning needed to be aired:

"This program includes language and cultural stereotypes inconsistent with modern standards.

Gilligan's Island was made in the 60's. Times change, but the castaways are still stranded.

."

Why? Because the episode featured actors in very "exaggerated for comedic effect" costumes and makeup playing "head-hunting natives".

Seriously? Is anyone out there thinking Gilligan's Island (if they even know what it is) is historically accurate?

The young lady, Dawn Welles is so beautiful. Such a sweet dream girl. Strand me.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many

."

I think the part ".... but the castaways are still stranded." is a dead giveaway that the whole warning was tongue-in-cheek.

But given the current atmosphere, you could be forgiven for thinking that some (Can I say "clown" here, or is that too close to a political opinion?) Oh well, caution to the wind, some clown at the head office thought we would be so outraged that we would march on headquarters with torches and pitchforks without benefit of his or her advisory.

The young lady, Dawn Welles is so beautiful. Such a sweet dream girl. Strand me.

I've always thought Dawn Wells was more attractive than Tina Louise, but then I prefer shorter curvier women. ;)

I think the part ".... but the castaways are still stranded." is a dead giveaway that the whole warning was tongue-in-cheek.

But given the current atmosphere, you could be forgiven for thinking that some (Can I say "clown" here, or is that too close to a political opinion?) Oh well, caution to the wind, some clown at the head office thought we would be so outraged that we would march on headquarters with torches and pitchforks without benefit of his or her advisory.

My guess is that the folks at Sundance didn't want to have to deal with a flood of complaint letters from a bunch of dimwits who can't figure out that the social climate in the 1960s was very different from what it is today.

It's not ticking me off, I HATE THIS!!

Why termin-calenders are commission business like newspapers and magzines?? Which idiot publisher had the idea??
If you want to buy a stupid simple termin calender in the mid-year for someone other, you don't get any in the stores...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy