Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

Landman

One Too Many
Looks to me like it might be a raw edge. I downloaded and enlarged the image a can't see any sign of a binding. Seems like that would be pretty unusual for one of these.

Landman

One Too Many
Especially with a wind trolley. I can see the western 7X CB with raw edge & wide brim but not the button & string attachment.

I agree. However, I have a western Stetson made in Canada that has a wind trolley. It is not a CB or anything special. Just a standard western Stetson but has a trolley. It is the only one I have ever seen with a trolley so I bought it. Unfortunately it doesn't fit me very well. It is a weird size. Something like a 7 3/8 Extra Round Oval and I'm a long oval.

Last edited:
7X Clear Beaver Quality with a bit of a mystery

The is 7XCB was recently acquired courtesy of a fellow Lounger. It arrived the other day in wonderful condition, with a heavy board box befitting of a 1950s fifty dollar hat. It arrived also with some mysterious mixed clues as to its vintage.

From the outside, it shows the proper 50s 102 block profile finely pounced finish and dense moldable felt that makes a grown man with a good collection of 7Xs lose all sense of restraint when another comes up for sale.

rensh1.jpg

rensh2.jpg

rensh3.jpg

rensh4.jpg

Inside, the markings are oddly mixed. There is a maple leaf logo on the sweat and a star field logo on the crown (later 1950s)... without a plastic crown protector (earlier 1950s). But the oddest thing of all is a taped rear sweatband seam. I've never seen one of these before in a post war Open Road style Stetson.

rensh5.jpg

rensh6.jpg

rensh7.jpg

rensh8.jpg

Now I know this hat was cleaned by a Maryland hatter before it was sold to me, but he left the original sweat and liner in place. There is not a label anywhere in the hat... not even the serial number stamping behind the sweat. ???? The only marking is the Shudde Bros. store imprint and this odd stamping "RENSH". What is a RENSH?

rensh9.jpg

Well, you have to love the lounge and the fountain of knowledge that lives here. After a bit of searching, I came up with one match for "RENSH" in a 2004 post by our own Art Fawcett:

"... In the past ( I don't know how many still do) a hatter would sign up with a company to become renovaters for their hats, not necessarilly exlusive, but like a rep, and they would be authorized to buy leathers ( sweats) from the company itself for the renovations. Thats how they would have the logo on it. The fact that it's slanted sort of dates it. I know that Shudde Bros in Houston are still Stetson reps and are authorized to use original Stetson leathers with a stamping on the back in ink saying "rensh" meaning renovated by Shudde. I once had a hat belonging to Gene Autry and did the legwork to authenticate it and that was the final kingpin of the research. I actually spoke to the elder Mr. Shudde who used to personally renovate Mr. Autry's hats and he told me the secret."

So this hat was a Shudde enovation... the sweat is obviously replaced - perhaps the liner and ribbon too. I think it has likely had stiffener applied as the felt is somewhat firmer than the other OR style 1950s 7Xs I own. We will never know the dating for sure, but at least we know why we don't know. One thing I know for sure... a Stetson 7X is one helluva a nice hat.

rensh10.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Great pictures, great story, PHENOMENAL hat!

From the outside, it shows the proper 50s 102 block profile finely pounced finish and dense moldable felt that makes a grown man with a good collection of 7Xs lose all sense of restraint when another comes up for sale.
Best. Line. Ever.

lol
Aaron

Landman

One Too Many
Alan,

That is a beautiful hat and some great detective work. I have a couple of Shudde Brothers's hats. I'll have to get them out and see if any have the RENSH marking.

My 7X CB has the same stamping on the sweat & the renovator even reattached the size tag.
You have to figure the original owners got their money's worth out of these hat which dictated regular maintenance & replacing sweatbands over time.

Interesting, Tom. The size tag still accompanies this hat too though not attached - perhaps from the second cleaning rather than the Shudde renovation.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
7xCB mode edge

This is my new favorite hat, both for felt (an honor previously held by my CB OR) and feel (previously my Borsalino Savoy). Though sized a 7 3/8 and showing no indication of having been stretched, it seems like a large 7 1/2.

There is no mode edge mark on the sweat. The ribbon is stained (as noted by the seller) and I might have it replaced with exactly the same style and size of ribbon/bow at some point. Right now, I just don't care. The incredible CB felt coupled with the weight of the felted edge makes for a wonderful hat.

fresh from the box pics
DSCN2394_zps10b6f821.jpg

DSCN2395_zps8d0f7b76.jpg

DSCN2396_zps9d6b458e.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This one sold on Etsy back in July to someone named Robert...

It's yet another unique cb.
7xcbblue1_zpsb832bc2d.jpg

7xcbblue4_zpsa11d7110.jpg

7xcbblue2_zps7337f88a.jpg

7xcbblue3_zps893c580f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran