Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Globester VS Packard

kenmcneill

Familiar Face
A couple quick pics of the Packard -

stetson_packard1.jpg
stetson_packard2.jpg

Just came in a few minutes ago, but nice so far. Stetson calls the color sage, but even in direct sunlight, my eyes aren't picking up any green tone, although the camera is. Looks more of a dark chocolate brown to me.

carldelo

One Too Many

stetson_packard1.jpg
stetson_packard2.jpg

Just came in a few minutes ago, but nice so far. Stetson calls the color sage, but even in direct sunlight, my eyes aren't picking up any green tone, although the camera is. Looks more of a dark chocolate brown to me.

Looks pretty nice. I have a Chatham in sage which is sort of a medium olive - looks sage in full daylight, dark green or gray in the dark. It seems to be a different color than the Packard.

Is it Sovereign felt? If so, the sweatband should say "The Sovereign" and the lining is usually dark. If Royal felt, I think it won't say anything on the sweat, and the lining will be white. Can you post a photo of the inside? Thanks,

kenmcneill

Familiar Face
Inside, and edge stitching detail -

stetson_packard5.jpg
stetson_packard4.jpg

It's amazing me how much green the camera picks up, while my eye doesn't. [huh]

Ken

carldelo

One Too Many
Thanks for the pics - so it's Royal quality. I have an Ashland with the brown sweat, and strangely enough it seems more comfortable that my Ashland with a black sweat, which I find hard to believe. I like the edge stitching detail a lot, it's nice to find a unique design attribute in a modern production hat. It would be nice to see this lid in more colors.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars

I REALLY like the style of this hat! Congrats! Looks great on you and makes me want to try one out one of these days.

Steve

Matt Brandon

New in Town

stetson_packard1.jpg

Just woke up here in Malaysia to this. That is a nice looking hat. I just might have to get both hats after all! Thanks for posting these and congratulation.

On another note: Is there posted somewhere a ranking of the Stetson quality felt and each ones traits?

Matt Brandon

New in Town
Got my Stylemaster

I am in England for the next few days on business. So I had an associate go down to Byrnie Utz Hats in Seattle and pick up a Stylemaster and bring one with him to the meetings. I talked with Jeremy, at Byrnie Utz, on the phone and he told me they had the Stylemaster in black or brown. I asked if he meant Acorn, he said no brown. Don't let the color balance fool you inthis shot it is brown. So here I am wearing it out on a walk in the evening here in hills around Stokenchurch.

2010.11.02-21.46.121.jpg

2010.11.02-21.46.241.jpg

Unfortunately it is a tad big. I am guessing a 1/2 size. It has been so long since I wore a real hat and not a cap, I did not know my size I had to measure my head for the order. I must have measured wrong. :eusa_doh: I have a small amount of paper towel inside the sweatband to size it and it is fine now. Any better ideas how to size it?

MadDawg

Familiar Face
I have several hats that are a shade big on me. I went and bought a yard of UNDYED (or at least same color as hat) felt at a local fabric store. Went home, cut it up and folded them inside the liner and they hats fit great now. The other thing I have noticed, by accident, is I can leave a hat in my car for a day (windows up, sun shining) and they hatband will typically shirink 1/4-1/2 size.

Congrats on the hat!! I love my Akubra! It is the most comfortabel hat I own!

Bebop

Practically Family
When I am traveling and I need to down size a hat, I usually use tissue paper. It is absorbent and a little more precise that paper towels since it is thinner. Felt is good too but while traveling, I don't like to go felt shopping. That is what David Morgan provides with his hats. If you buy a "square" of it, you can cut it to a perfect size and end up with a "lump-less" material under that sweat band.

Great hat, btw. I'm waiting delivery on my Stylemaster. I hope it looks as good on me as it does on you.
Don't forget to pick up some of those great British pipe tobaccos that we can't get in the states!

Last edited:

Matt Brandon

New in Town
The other thing I have noticed, by accident, is I can leave a hat in my car for a day (windows up, sun shining) and they hatband will typically shirink 1/4-1/2 size.

Does shrinking the sweatband by leaving it in the car create a warp or wrinkles in the felt of the hat under the ribbon?

Bebop

Practically Family
I would be wary about leaving a hat in a hot car. After hearing sad stories about the deterioration of the hat and sweat bands or the sweat band shrinking way too much, I wouldn't recommend it. If leaving the hat in a hot car has worked for you, I think you have been lucky. Why not pop it in the oven for while?

Does shrinking the sweatband by leaving it in the car create a warp or wrinkles in the felt of the hat under the ribbon?

Not with any of mine. The felt is most likely more porous than the leather so when the leather draws, so does the felt. Even with vintage felt, there is still some give to it. I have seen the stitching of the sweatband give way before the felt would warp or wrinkle tho...

carldelo

One Too Many

Every report about Akubra that I've read states that they should be bought a half size too large, as the sweatband will draw in naturally over time (from sweat and weather), about a half size. I wouldn't do anything irreversible to your lid for a couple of months at least.

MadDawg

Familiar Face
Let me clarify...I don't leave it in 100 degree heat for weeks at a time. Typically, just a normal weather day (here in Dallas) for a couple hours will do it. I don't get any warping of leather or the felt, it just seems to constrict the material a bit and as long as it doesn't get sopping wet when I wear it, it never really releases back to its original size. I think it also depends on the grade of leather in the band. If it is the stiff, water repelant, almost synthetic stuff it won't shrink much at all, or if it does it deteriates quickly. But the finer quality leather is supple enough to take a little heat and not lose comfort or structure.

Matt Brandon

New in Town
I would be wary about leaving a hat in a hot car. After hearing sad stories about the deterioration of the hat and sweat bands or the sweat band shrinking way too much, I wouldn't recommend it. If leaving the hat in a hot car has worked for you, I think you have been lucky. Why not pop it in the oven for while?

Kinda what I thought. I got back home last night. So today I rummaged though my wife's fabric draw and found some thin foam used in art. It is really thin, say 1/16 of an inch. I cut a narrow strip and placed it beneath the sweat band and it fits great now.

I want to thank all the folks who commented in this thread. You all were a big help in choosing my hat. I made the picture of me in my hat as my avatar for twitter and am getting really nice comments, like:

"Love your avatar. You look like a college professor savant. Great visual branding. :)"

"Have you seen @digitaltrekker 's new avatar portrait? Simply wonderful. Conveys trust and comfort!"

"@digitaltrekker you've really got the Indiana Jones thing happening in that new avatar. Digital Trekker & the Temple of Light!"

"@digitaltrekker you and your hat look very distinguished, sir. :)"

So, I guess it is true, "the hat makes the man!"

Thanks everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner