Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Nostalgia Discontinued?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you much, have you got a hold of one of these yet?

No, I haven't. Actually I haven't been inside a hat shop for a few years, doing all my buying on the Internet. I should check out some of the new Stetson dress hat models like that. Will try to do so in the next couple of weeks here in the D.C. area.

Tone

A-List Customer
That hat looks sharp and right at home on you, Brad. A definite "anywhere" fedora. Nice work!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a very sharp Nostalgia, Brad Braden! You creased it well, hopefully this is something you'll find yourself walking out the door with often. :cool:

bradbraden

New in Town
Thanks again folks! I have a crazy question that is slightly off subject, I know about the big Stetson outlets but where are the Stetson hats actually manufactured and can you purchase them directly from that place?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I love the look, but it seems to me the Nostalgias in the first few pictures have much wider ribbons than in the more recent shots. Was there a change in ribbon width during the short run of this model? If so, Brad, what's the ribbon width on yours, so I can ask the Stetson outlet people to check (if, of course, they have one in my size in stock)?

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again folks! I have a crazy question that is slightly off subject, I know about the big Stetson outlets but where are the Stetson hats actually manufactured and can you purchase them directly from that place?
If you look at the sticky threads at the top of this forum you will see the Hatco thread. A group of Lounge members just toured the outlet store and factory last month.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?55297-Hatco-Tour

bradbraden

New in Town
I love the look, but it seems to me the Nostalgias in the first few pictures have much wider ribbons than in the more recent shots. Was there a change in ribbon width during the short run of this model? If so, Brad, what's the ribbon width on yours, so I can ask the Stetson outlet people to check (if, of course, they have one in my size in stock)?

Hey Benz, I just checked and the ribbon is 1 5/8".

jbucklin

Practically Family
I'm sure enjoying mine! I'm sad to learn that they've been discontinued. I was not told that at Hatco yesterday, when I bought my Nostalgia.

I still haven't had to use steam to crease it---seems to hold a dry crease quite well. :)

Photo237.jpg

hubbit

New in Town
I made an inquiry once with "I Love Hat," and they not so promptly emailed me an invoice for a hat I did not order, demanding payment. I didn't end up going with them, as their management seems to have more problems than just linguistics. Frank

I made an inquiry just last night. Have not heard back from them. Perhaps my loss is my gain. :)

I've asked around at nearly every hat merchant I can find. I emailed Hatco, whose representative told me they'd do a run for any retailer who orders a dozen of each color. For me, this would have been the perfect hat had I known about it before it went out of production - especially with a bound brim, the way Bencraft had theirs done.

I suppose the nearest thing readily available would be something from Akubra, but I dislike the fact that their ribbons seem to be the same color as the hat. The Caribou Nostalgia's black ribbon is really striking.

T Rick

Practically Family
I'm sure enjoying mine! I'm sad to learn that they've been discontinued. I was not told that at Hatco yesterday, when I bought my Nostalgia.

I still haven't had to use steam to crease it---seems to hold a dry crease quite well. :)

Photo237.jpg

I still have mine in the same dry bash (center dent with pinches) that I did in ten seconds shortly after removing it from the box. Love the hat!

I made an inquiry just last night. Have not heard back from them. Perhaps my loss is my gain. :)

I've asked around at nearly every hat merchant I can find. I emailed Hatco, whose representative told me they'd do a run for any retailer who orders a dozen of each color. For me, this would have been the perfect hat had I known about it before it went out of production - especially with a bound brim, the way Bencraft had theirs done.

I suppose the nearest thing readily available would be something from Akubra, but I dislike the fact that their ribbons seem to be the same color as the hat. The Caribou Nostalgia's black ribbon is really striking.

Two things I didn't know. That they'd make more on request (that's 36 to order I think, they only offered Caribou, Black and Mink AFAIK), and that they'd done some in a bound brim!

I do love the raw edge on mine, but I'd happily buy another just like it with a bound brim, it would change the hat considerably. One caveat, not a fan of Stetson's new practice of the sewn on tag in lieu of a pin (got lucky, mine came from the Outlet with the pin and no tag). But that's not a deal breaker, as I can remove the tag, and probably could locate a Stetson pin (though surprisingly when I checked eBay recently, there were none listed there).

ETA: You know, that's a lot of hats to order. But it seems to me, perhaps a few shops could go in together and order a mix of colors and sizes? Most popular sizes, each would get several of each color... 3 shops order a dozen each gets it done, unless shipping to 3 locations is a deal breaker for Hatco.

Last edited:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Nostalgia was an ok seller for us at best. Most of the customers dont want to shape their own hat today. They want it preshaped like the Temple or the Chatham. Besdies, it wasnt the best body for that type of hat. we used to have problems when we shaped them out. The crown used to get marked up and onced shaped, the piches never came out 100% if you wanted to alter the hat to a different pinch.

hubbit

New in Town
The Nostalgia was an ok seller for us at best. Most of the customers dont want to shape their own hat today. They want it preshaped like the Temple or the Chatham. Besdies, it wasnt the best body for that type of hat. we used to have problems when we shaped them out. The crown used to get marked up and onced shaped, the piches never came out 100% if you wanted to alter the hat to a different pinch.

Well, that's not encouraging. Any experience with the Miller/Biltmore or Akubra open crown models? I suppose in a pinch (ha) I could get one or two of those and try to get slightly wider ribbons put on.

hubbit

New in Town
Guys, a lesson to be learned here. Many seem to express a desire to have purchased one. The lesson is, if we want some things available, we need to vote with our dollars and get off the wallet and make the purchase. No manuf. will keep making a product which they see as not carrying enough demand.

I mostly agree, except in my case and I suspect that of others, it's not been a question of "Gee, I'd love to get one someday. Okay, someday is here; where did they all go?", but more "Hey, I just now found out about this hat, whaddaya mean it's already off the market?!"

I just ordered an Akubra Fed IV standard in Moonstone today, which will be similar to the Caribou Nostalgia. I believe the ribbon is a tad shorter, and the Fed has a dimensional brim. But with standard air mail from Australia I paid $160 USD, which is very close to the price of the Nostalgia when it was available. (I didn't get the Heritage because I wear a size 63, and Akubra doesn't make the Heritage in Moonstone in any size larger than 61.)

If I like the Fed, and I can't picture not liking it, I'll probably get brown and fawn as well. Planning on a center dent, either deep front pinches or deep long side pinches, and sweeping the brim gently upward on the sides they way many hats were done in the late 20s and early 30s.

T Rick

Practically Family
I understand about just finding out about it. I bought mine just slightly before they were discontinued, (I think!) and just shortly after I found out about it.

BTW, I bought my Nostalgia at the Stetson Outlet, cost $100 and shipping ($10 IIRC). Not that I wouldn't have paid more and gone through a retailer, but if it was available this way, why would I?

WRT the Fed IV, still planning to get one myself. Just not sure if I'll go for brown or fawn. Probably some time this Winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner