Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Surplus

SteveAS

Practically Family
Here's an unusual, not terribly old 3X Beaver Stetson. At first glance, it looks like a wool tweed fedora, but it seems to be a beaver blend fur felt with a tweed print! Anyone know anything about it?

!ByZ01O!B2k~$(KGrHqIOKioEwPgB+i)hBMRjk,q4r!~~_12.JPG

!ByZ08v!CGk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEwREU53WDBMRjk7B3WQ~~_12.JPG

!ByZ1!bQBGk~$(KGrHqUOKi8EwIs((t5vBMRjlLtDw!~~_12.JPG

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lol

I can't say I'm very knowledgeable about the Stetson brand, but that right there is an interesting lid. I would wear it...

P1010095.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010097.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010093.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are a few more Stetsons in my collection. The 2 on the piano are Not-Strat, Not OR's but thin ribbons I had rehabbed by Optimo. Therefore the interior pics won't say much. I believe they were both classified as Royal Stetsons.

The tan one is an OR look-alike with a wider, corded ribbon. Nice knockaround hat.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
My 2 Stestons, both modern:

BrownStetson2.jpg

GreyStetson1.jpg

Temple in Mink (or 'Brown' as I like to call it) and Downs in Caribou (or 'Grey' as far as I'm concerned).

Both get a fair amount of wear. I've seen remarks that suggest modern Stetsons aren't up to much, but my experience of these two has been very positive.

Neophyte

Hatophile, those are very nice. I especially like the "The Man's Shop" logo lol .

Dave E, those are also really nice. I like the Mink color especially. They look like very smooth, clean hats, very dressy.

I don't think the Stetson hats are a bad brand. From what I understand, most people think these hats are nice, but also think that their quality doesn't justify the ~$150 that a lot of their hats go for. Those that live near the outlet stores (like JBucklin), can get them a LOT cheaper. JBucklin has a few Stetsons and an Akubra, and he says they are nearly identical in quality. I'm inclined to believe him, but I'm usually still hung up on price. For me, it is cheaper and faster to order an Akubra from Australia than to order a Stetson in the US.
I have to give Stetson props, though, because they have an amazing color selection among their models.

Enjoy those hats, because they really do look good.

Dave E said:
My 2 Stestons, both modern:

BrownStetson2.jpg

GreyStetson1.jpg

Temple in Mink (or 'Brown' as I like to call it) and Downs in Caribou (or 'Grey' as far as I'm concerned).

Both get a fair amount of wear. I've seen remarks that suggest modern Stetsons aren't up to much, but my experience of these two has been very positive.

Those look good on you, Dave!

KK

New in Town
Just got a Stylemaster in moonstone. Compared to my Chatham, the finish seems somewhat pilled. I should have gotten it in black to hide the finish. The medium thickness makes it slightly floppy, but without the rubberiness I like. Anyone got any "rubbery" thin fur felt Stetsons to recommend?

Neophyte

KK said:
Just got a Stylemaster in moonstone. Compared to my Chatham, the finish seems somewhat pilled. I should have gotten it in black to hide the finish. The medium thickness makes it slightly floppy, but without the rubberiness I like. Anyone got any "rubbery" thin fur felt Stetsons to recommend?

I'm not even sure what "pilled", "rubbery", or "medium thickness" mean when it comes to hats. I found that messing around with my Akubras, plus the occasional vacuum treatment (those damn cat hairs always get on my hat somehow!) makes the finish appear smoother over time.

KK

New in Town
Can't think of other descriptors. I'm tactile (vs visual) so I guess some things don't translate or get noticed.

Neophyte

KK said:
Can't think of other descriptors. I'm tactile (vs visual) so I guess some things don't translate or get noticed.

I think it's my fault actually. I have very little experience with different kinds of hats. The one that confuses me most is "pilled."

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Reworked my black Stetson Ashland

It took an evening of smashing, steaming, and soaking, but I was finally able to put a slight diamond bash into the crown of my black Stetson Ashland that helped square up its look a bit. Took a hockey stick to it and wore it out in the rain and the new bash is holding well. My poor photos don’t do it justice. Reinstalled the liner as well to get it ready for winter. Need to work on the brim again next.

9202010.jpg
b9202010.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
SteveAS said:
Here's an unusual, not terribly old 3X Beaver Stetson. At first glance, it looks like a wool tweed fedora, but it seems to be a beaver blend fur felt with a tweed print! Anyone know anything about it?

!ByZ01O!B2k~$(KGrHqIOKioEwPgB+i)hBMRjk,q4r!~~_12.JPG

That's one wildly cool looking hat!

Randy

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte, regarding "pilled"...

What he means is that the Stetson felt is more finally pounced, i.e., sanded down to a smoother finish. Akubra's felt isn't as finely buffed, and has a rougher, more nappy surface. It's also thicker and tougher than Stetson's felt... and personally, I think it's a good thing.

(I've got nothing against Stetsons: I have a 9-year-old Temple that I've worn plenty, and it's held up very well. But I much prefer my Akubras: they're better-built hats at lower prices, and if their felt is "less refined", their sweatbands are much better, and far more comfortable, than the Temple's.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner