Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Still Life with Hats . . .

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mingoslim said:
--snip--

What follows is my "Still Life with Hats" . . .
A challenge you all to create your own art work from your collections, and post them here as well . . .

If I decide to take you up on your challenge :rolleyes: , how far back do you want the hat collection to go? Do you want only hats from 1920 - 1950 or do you want earlier hats in the pictures too?

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Brill said:
I'm always taking pictures of my handbags & jewelry, but I don't display it, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Do you mean you don't know how to display it, where to display it in this forum or that you have too much stuff? :)

mingoslim

Practically Family
Would love to see others try their hands . . .

PapaSimone . . . the guitar is a 1936 Gibson L-30 Archtop . . . Great little guitar . . .

VB . . . anything you enter will be worth seeing, I am sure . . . 1920s, 1930s, 1940s . . . you choose how you want to display . . . :)

Miss Brill . . . no reason this little art gallery has to be just hats. Would love to see your collection as well . . .

And Douglas, I think you should enter your collection as well . . . my suggested backdrop would be Yankee Stadium . . . your collections should be able to fill the seats ;)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Do you mean you don't know how to display it, where to display it in this forum or that you have too much stuff? :)

See--bags look messy:
005.jpg

pgoat

One Too Many
NIce collections!

The L-30 was a nice surprise.....another of my obsessions......though I don't own an archtop they are so beautiful. I hope to consolidate and sell off enough solidbody gtrs to one day afford a nice L4 or L7. Nothing fancy, just good wood in nice condition.

Thanks for sharing!

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
I hope this is not too off topic but what kind of music does a 1936 gibson L-30 like to play? swing? Be-bop ala Charlie Christian? blues?

mingoslim said:
PapaSimone . . . the guitar is a 1936 Gibson L-30 Archtop . . . Great little guitar . . .

VB . . . anything you enter will be worth seeing, I am sure . . . 1920s, 1930s, 1940s . . . you choose how you want to display . . . :)

Miss Brill . . . no reason this little art gallery has to be just hats. Would love to see your collection as well . . .

And Douglas, I think you should enter your collection as well . . . my suggested backdrop would be Yankee Stadium . . . your collections should be able to fill the seats ;)

mingoslim

Practically Family
Depends . . .

PapaSimone said:
I hope this is not too off topic but what kind of music does a 1936 gibson L-30 like to play? swing? Be-bop ala Charlie Christian? blues?

On who is playing it . . .

It loves swing, western swing, bluegrass, blues and jazz . . . but in my hands it is usually religated to Woody Guthrie tunes, traditional folk and labor tunes ala Joe Hill and Utah Phillips.

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
Too cool! Would you please identify the items in the collection? If you would, and not too off topic, please identify guitars and the music they like to play as well!

cooncatbob said:
Here's mine.
2102188544_393ceb0045.jpg

Bob ;)

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
:eek:fftopic: sorry for continuing the off topic interest. Do you play with a flat pick or finger style? Any chance of seeing a hat and guitar in action?

mingoslim said:
On who is playing it . . .

It loves swing, western swing, bluegrass, blues and jazz . . . but in my hands it is usually religated to Woody Guthrie tunes, traditional folk and labor tunes ala Joe Hill and Utah Phillips.

pgoat

One Too Many
PapaSimone said:
:eek:fftopic: sorry for continuing the off topic interest. Do you play with a flat pick or finger style? Any chance of seeing a hat and guitar in action?

Nice guitars and hats!

If you wanna see a cool gtr & hat combo look for Dan Hicks (if he's still even around and in business)....he always had a 1930s era vibe going but never anachronsitic.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
indycop said:
Cooncat yer missing one!!lol lol Is that a Hoosier on the right?:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'd put all the hats back away when I realized I didn't put the package with the new hat in. Should have put it in the center.
Yes that's a modified Hoosier, Art made the brim 1/4 inch smaller then the standard Hoosier specs to better match my rather narrow face. That's my Artlite on the left.
Bob.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Nice set . . .

cooncatbob said:
Here's mine.
2102188544_393ceb0045.jpg

Bob ;)

Some sweet lids . . . but I too would love to see an index, or list of what we are looking at.
(And while you are at it, I am curious about the guitars in the background.)

Mingo

mingoslim

Practically Family
I tend to finger style . . .

PapaSimone said:

Actually, I tend to play rythm and accompany myself as a singer, and rely on better musicians for the real guitar work . . .

As for a hat and guitar pic in action, I couldn't find a one that was worthwhile. I do have this pic, one of my favorites, taken my my brother.

cap1999.jpg

No hat, which is unusual for me . . .
But the guitar is a Kay Archtop . . . big 17 1/2 body . . . big sound . . . Great guitar. Vintage Kays are highly under-rated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW