Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Still Life with Hats . . .

cooncatbob

Practically Family
mingoslim said:
Some sweet lids . . . but I too would love to see an index, or list of what we are looking at.
(And while you are at it, I am curious about the guitars in the background.)

Mingo
2102188544_393ceb0045.jpg

Okay, Back of the sofa, my grey Fed and Adam's Feather weight.
Art lite, Brown Dobbs, Knox Derby, Light tan open road clone says inside Pittsburgh Merc Co and my Hooiser.
Tan Stetson, stingy Cavanagh and my Borsalino.
The guitars are a Goya Nylon string and a Epiphone steel string.
I'm sad to say they're mainly wall hangers as I was just learning to play several years ago when I ran the tips of my fore and middle finger on my left hand through the table saw at work. My fingers are fine except when I try to press the strings.
Bob.

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
Nice! I especially appreciate the porch playing!

mingoslim said:
Actually, I tend to play rythm and accompany myself as a singer, and rely on better musicians for the real guitar work . . .

As for a hat and guitar pic in action, I couldn't find a one that was worthwhile. I do have this pic, one of my favorites, taken my my brother.

cap1999.jpg

No hat, which is unusual for me . . .
But the guitar is a Kay Archtop . . . big 17 1/2 body . . . big sound . . . Great guitar. Vintage Kays are highly under-rated.

pgoat

One Too Many
Kay's are indeed nice, Mingo. My boyhood pal's dad had a jumbo flat top (kinda like a Gibson J2000) with maple cutaway body and a laminated maple neck. It was so much nicer than the cheap junk we were struggling with that every time we dared sneak it out of his closet for a strum it was like heaven.

David Lindley featured a nice Kay headstock on one of his album covers with El Rayo X and I've seen a photo of a really young Eric Clapton using one with the Roosters.

Of course, we probably just helped drive the going price up a few more dollars.....:eek:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Still life with Hats

Based on a short conversation about a thread for hats with Moonshine last week, I thought I'd open up a thread for any other fun or filisophical still life photos. I know there are lots out there! Creative opportunities encouraged, not "just a picture of my new hat," etc. No live subjects allowed! ;)

I'll start with a few:

Royal Deluxe Apple Pie:
sevefun2012010copy.jpg

Black Cherry medley:
001kwi.jpg

004oed.jpg

Derby, with oboe reeds:
002copyn.jpg

New Year Pieta:
sevefun2012030copy.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Eric. Ties and especially wool ties as in this image really make a nice background for felt hats. I should take some more photos with other hats and other ties.

By the way, this image was turned ninety degrees to the left. The ties were on a hanger, and the hat was held with my free hand in front of the ties. The light came from the window to the right in the original image. I think the unusual direction of the light helps this picture a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW