Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stocking/Hose Storage

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Ladies,

How do you store your stockings and hosiery? I still wear (gasp) pantyhose at this time and I would love to know how you ladies store your stockings and such. I've tried baskes, drawers with disasterous results. Snags, runs and almost total shredding. I haven't started to wear a girdle and stockings yet and I'm not going to until I find a good way to store them.

Thanks girls.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I store mine in vintage satin lingerie bags, which are easy to find and fairly inexpensive. These bags come in a wide range of sizes as well, and are great for travel. I also use a glove storage box, which is nice as it has small compartments perfect for organizing your stockings.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I keep mine folded in vintage stocking boxes. I have a satin lingerie bag too, but it isn't very big. I keep all the boxes in a shopping bag in my closet. My dresser is way too cramped to fit them in there. As long as I keep everything neat I don't have any problems with snags.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
liners work well also. Putting them on the bottom of you dresser drawer prevents snagging on the bottom, plus many liners are fragranced, which can be a good thing as well:)
I just roll mine up in a ball until I need to wear them again.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
i am in the process of making a 2 compartment satin lined, fabric covered hosiery box. it will have 2 pockets inside the lid, one for the gloves i wear when handling my vintage hosiery, and the other for a scented sachet. but i've been lazy and may never finish it.

currently, i have my hosiery stored in a decorative box from the fabric store. i wish i could find pictures of it, but it's about 5 inches tall and wide enough that i can fit 2 stacks of folded stockings side by side. there are metal pieces inside holding on the handle, and those and any rough paper edges have been covered with self-adhesive felt to prevent catches and snags. my regular FF stockings are folded and stacked neatly, while any that i have with flocking or fancy heels are folded and wrapped in tissue before i put them in there.

my pantyhose, regular stockings and stay-ups are tossed in a hat box.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
gosh, you are all so tidy and ladylike...I'm lucky if i can get mine on without shredding themlol

things you can do to prevent stocking destruction:

* store them properly, in a place with no rough edges
* WEAR GLOVES when handling your hosiery!!!
* put lotion on your legs and feet before putting your stockings on
* wear gloves when hand washing your stockings
* avoid walking around in bare stocking feet

personally, i've found that wearing gloves is the most effective thing i can do for preventing hosiery snags.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
My storage has grown and grown...

I used to lob stockings in an old handbag, then a vanity case, and now I've given in and dedicated a whole drawer in my wardrobe to them.

I'm not fussy about hardwearing ones, they just go in loose (fishnet or high denier), but I try to keep more delicate poppets in their polythene packets, with the sticky bit on the packet cut off so as not to stick to the stockings themselves.

I may get some of those sock drawer dividers, they seem a good idea, just a series of compartments in a flexi plastic/laminated card.

They should be good for my glove and scarf drawer too. Stupid accessory abundance :eusa_doh:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also use satin stocking bags, that is when I actually put things away:D :eek:
Like JBD said, they are easy to find and pretty inexpensive. They are still made today, so if you can't find vintage ones, most lingerie and stocking stores will sell them. I have one that has lavender fragrance on the inside, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it[huh]
Also another good way to store them is in one of those netted hoisery bags that you use to wash your stockings, if you can't find the satin bags, these hoisery bags work just as well.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Mine currently live on top of or beside my computer:eek: but I'm planning on trying and making a couple of my own storage bags, I have a pattern hanging around for an envelope purse, or I may get crafty with a glue gun and re-decorate and old shoe box, with velvet and satin, or I might get really indulgent and buy some silk.....:)

olive bleu

One Too Many
Kitty T...Great tips, i remember now, my mother always used to put lotion on before putting on her stockings,it drives my husband crazy, i can take out a brand new pair, and rip them before i even get a chance to wear them:rage:

I guess i am just always in a rush:) Thanks

P

Paul

I have decided to use the polythene document wallet from stationers, they are cheep and will take a new packet and also folded ones.
I intend to put a label one each one and try using a ring binder to hold them together.
For hosiery in regular use this would not be great.

Shimmy Sally

These are some good ideas.
I've been storing my stockings in a quilted cardbord lingerie dresser. It looks cheap (and is) but it works. No rough edges to damage anything. The small dresser is white with metallic gold knobs, just like the rest of my bedroom furniture. The other drawers hold my vintage gloves, scarves, and other unmentionables.
When I travel I take nylons in either a net or satin bag. It helps to roll instead of fold, that keeps them smooth and in a set. That's how I do it anyway.

lindylady

A-List Customer
When mine aren't carelessly thrown atop the dresser once they've had a washing, I place them in a plastic storage bin. I have a lingerie bag that I very rarely use because my stockings rip after a few wears, anyway.[huh]

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I actually put my hosiery back in the original packaging after sink washing it. I wrap it around the lightweight cardboard, slide it into the plastic bag and keep it on the bottom of the drawer. I have had the best luck this way. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR