Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Homburg??

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
157_2_.jpg

dobbs-eldorado-godfather

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
what movie is this, i've never seen this before.

Its from a great Franco-Spanish film biography of Toulouse-Lautrec titled Lautrec. Its hard to find in the US and France, my DVD is actually a copy for the Latin American market. It is very well costumed. In addition to lots can can girls and a lovely Elsa Zylberstein in a corset, more on topic for this thread it has a wonderful selection of panama hats (including a nice straw homburg)and linen suits during the summer scenes. Everytime I watch it I want to spend about 1,000 quid on clothes from Old Town.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123952/

18399343.jpg

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
Here's my rather spiffing Dobbs Milan straw Homburg. I bought it after seeing Mr Renfield in the 1931 version of Dracula! Although I can't quite tell if Renfield is wearing felt or straw.
The Dobbs could be vintage or modern, I'm not sure...

Attachments

• homburg dobbs milan straw.JPG
    homburg dobbs milan straw.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 1,594
  • IMG_6686.PNG
    IMG_6686.PNG
    857.2 KB · Views: 1,118

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
I have been watching "Poirot" and in several episodes he wears a straw homburg that I fancy very much. I have found one by Dobbs called the El Dorado. Has anyone here had any experience with it or if does anyone know where I might purchase one more like Poirots?

eldorado_2.jpg

Thanks,
J.S.

Here's another shot of dapper M. Poirot...

Attachments

• IMG_6689.JPG
    IMG_6689.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,290

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
The interior looks suspiciously similar to mine! I will post another pic later. I'm now beginning to believe mine is a late hat.

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
Is it the same?

Attachments

• Img_6699.jpg
    Img_6699.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 1,154
  • Img_6700.jpg
    Img_6700.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 1,245
  • Img_6702.jpg
    Img_6702.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,169
  • Img_6704.jpg
    Img_6704.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Img_6705.jpg
    Img_6705.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 1,164

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
I would say so, yes. Mine has Florentine Milan embossed on the sweat across the forehead. Can't tell if your's does or not.

By the way, Harold Penner is still in business.

Thanks. It doesn't have those words but it does have a paper tag with the style name El Dorado. So it's modern I'm thinking

...it does have a paper tag with the style name El Dorado.
Mine just has a paper tag with the employee's name who made the hat. No style or model name. There is a hyphenated number ink stamped on the inside of the sweat. If part of the number denotes the yr it is not obvious to me.

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
I would say so, yes. Mine has Florentine Milan embossed on the sweat across the forehead. Can't tell if your's does or not.

By the way, Harold Penner is still in business.

Question: does yours do this? It's soft but just springs right back. My understanding has always been that only vintage Milan straw hats have this springiness, being made from wheatgrass. I have a definitely new Dobbs Milan straw hat - made from paper-based braid - and it's both shiny and hard, almost like plastic. But this El Dorado feels like it must be the real deal...
Img_6802.jpg
Img_6803.jpg

Question: does yours do this? It's soft but just springs right back. My understanding has always been that only vintage Milan straw hats have this springiness, being made from wheatgrass. I have a definitely new Dobbs Milan straw hat - made from paper-based braid - and it's both shiny and hard, almost like plastic. But this El Dorado feels like it must be the real deal...
View attachment 54411 View attachment 54412
Yes, mine does that also. But all of these hats were made in the last 5-6 yrs regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR