Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuart vs Maxwell

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As I recall HD was the last on TFL to post pictures and impressions of his Stuart. It is my understanding that the Stuart was discontinued/dropped from the Aero lineup a couple of years ago for reasons which probably don't need to be brought up at the present time. I suspect the Stuart might fit more similar to the 50's HB design whereas the Maxwell, at least mine, seems to be based on the 30's slimfit with greater drop in the front than the back. HD, are you out there to speak up? :D

It was my understanding that the only differences between the Stuart and Maxwell is that Aero had a name change since the Stuart or Stewart (they spelled that model both ways while in production) was Will's baby and only the button closure on the chest pocket was discontinued. Most sleeves (like my Stuart) with button cuffs seem to be the more slender '30s style where a '50s style HB are cuffed differently. However..I'm only familiar with my Stuart..since that is the only one I've handled and owned.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Van, I think maybe the biggest difference between your Stuart and my Maxwell is the front drop with mine not seen with yours. Note I left off a chest pocket as I'm a non smoker. :D

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, this one is non-controversial: when Will left Aero, Aero management decided that the Stuart design belonged to him, and ceased production of it. The Maxwell (which I think was initially only available through Insurrection; could still be the case, unless I'm missing it on the Aero website) was a new, if similar, model, produced to fill the same market slot, i.e. a button-fronted, pre-war style civilian halfbelt. Actually rather surprised me that Alexanders never put the Stuart pattern into production, though perhaps it didn't fit with their plans for the brand (aside from the distinction of ownership between Will's intellectual property and that of AL).

With button fastening jackets like the Rockefella and the Aeromarine getting so much attenion of late, it wouldn't surprise me if Aero made the Maxwell more widely available (assuming there isn't an exclusivity agreement with Insurrection on that one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner