Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions On ordering an Aero Cafe Racer Jacket

By-Line

New in Town
Long time follower, First time poster.

I have a question for the crowd that I am positive you can all help me with. I intend to order a cafe racer from Aero in cordovan. Besides fit questions, that can go one for ages, what else should I ask Aero? The intent is to minimize the amount of traffic back and forth as well as quality ideas from you about ordering the jacket. I am sure there are details and options that I am not thinking of since this will be my first order with Aero or any quality leather jacket manufacturer for that matter. I should also include that I plan to wear this jacket as often as possible riding my motorcycle back and forth to work and the occasional long trip. I live in California, so the liner may also be something for me to ask about changing. Alll of these questions that I have I am sure you have all had. Thank you for your support in advance!

caffeinated

New in Town
I have the Insurrection version of the Aero Cafe Racer. It's basically the stock jacket with an extra inch in length added to the sleeves and the body. Plus leather facing around the inside bottom.

For reference, it's a size 42 and I'm 5'10'' and 175lbs. I'm in pretty good shape, no pot belly, lol.

I love the jacket. It fits slim, which is what I wanted. I can just fit a sweatshirt under the jacket when I need to, but not exactly comfortably. When it's cold I usually wear a thin, but warm, fleece shirt or a poly-pro long-underwear top. That's all that will comfortably fit. So I would say if you want that close fit, order your normal size. I you want more room, size up. The extra inch in sleeve length is a good idea and I recommend it to you. The extra inch in the body I could take or leave. It's kind of nice when I'm just wearing the jacket casually as it covers an untucked shirt. If you are over 6ft tall or you like a longer jacket, you should get the exta length.

Also, my jacket is the four pocket version. If I had it to do over, I would probably eliminate the lower pockets. They are useful, but they add bulk to the lower part of the jacket that doesn't flex well on the bike. It's really the zipper that doesn't flex and I can feel them when I'm riding. This is a diminishing problem though, as the jacket breaks in. But the zipper won't break in. If you do eliminate the lower pockets, consider adding an inside pocket. That would be nice to have. You might consider getting the sleeves in satin or nylon, that would make the jacket easier to put on. Although the drill lining seems like it will last forever, and it doesn't bother me enough to go get it done myself.

I have had the jacket for 9 months and about 8000 miles. It's breaking in well, I love this leather. Although I admit, if I get another Aero for casual wear I'm getting the mid-weight. FQHH is a great motorcycle leather though.

Good luck with your jacket. Don't overthink it!

Take care,
Steve

mrc

Familiar Face
Just call Insurrection on the phone. They're the pros when it comes to this, given the sheer amount of vintage and new cafe' racers they've worked with over the years, and probably know of more options than Aero does. Plus, you'll save a ton of time! Price is equivalent.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
+2 on Insurrection. Call them up and they can have them guide you. They really know their moto gear and as mrc stated, the price is the same.

By-Line

New in Town
Caffeinated, I can't thank you enough for your input. It is the small details that I was looking for such as order the extra inch in the sleeves and that the zipper doesn't bend well. Thanks again. I am 6ft exactly, 185lbs so I think 42 will be around my size, but I would also like to be able to add a sweatshirt on cold mornings underneath.

mrc, HighandDry, after looking around the website of Insurrection I will definitely give them a call. The only option I did not see on the website is to get the jacket in Cordovan, but being able to talk to someone with that kind of knowledge is always a plus. Do you know if they can order other stuff or have some in stock? I have also noticed some Aero owners have a lining at the inside bottom such as the Insurrection version, is this something to consider? Thanks again Gentlemen, I appreciate the time and effort.

mrc

Familiar Face
Caffeinated, I can't thank you enough for your input. It is the small details that I was looking for such as order the extra inch in the sleeves and that the zipper doesn't bend well. Thanks again. I am 6ft exactly, 185lbs so I think 42 will be around my size, but I would also like to be able to add a sweatshirt on cold mornings underneath.

mrc, HighandDry, after looking around the website of Insurrection I will definitely give them a call. The only option I did not see on the website is to get the jacket in Cordovan, but being able to talk to someone with that kind of knowledge is always a plus. Do you know if they can order other stuff or have some in stock? I have also noticed some Aero owners have a lining at the inside bottom such as the Insurrection version, is this something to consider? Thanks again Gentlemen, I appreciate the time and effort.

Insurrection can order the jacket for you in any color that you'd like. Also, Insurrection does have Aero cafe' racers consistently in stock, so if you need a particular measurement on a particular size, no problem. You can get any options that you want, and Insurrection will definitely run some cool things by you! Regarding your question above, I'd definitely go with the leather facing on the inside of the bottom of the jacket because it makes the jacket just that much nicer and will add to the jacket's longevity.

caffeinated

New in Town

At 6 ft, I would go with the extra length. I'm not sure if Insurrection does cordovan or not, you'd have to ask. Also, just to be clear, I'm talking about the zippers on the lower pockets.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I would definitely go with a 44, the CR fit pretty snug...especially if you want to have a sweater now an then...very nice jackets though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR