Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions please...

fatwoul

Practically Family
On Friday, I got my Associateship from the Royal Photographic Society. It's kind of a big deal to me, but not anything to get excited about.

They sent me my certificate, and they sent me a nice little lapel badge:

ARPS.jpg

I am tentatively considering my first custom hat from the likes of Mr. Moore or Mr. Fawcett, and I wondered that people thought of this as a hat pin. If you do think it would make an appropriate pin, I'd be interested to hear suggestions of a hat it might look good on, based not only on the pin but what you guys may have come to know about my own stylistic preferences.

So, let me know what you think. Links to hat pictures, ribbon styles, bow designs and general comments are all welcome. I'd be particularly interested if anybody thinks it would make a really bad pin.

(I'd need to consult a jeweller to have the large retainer on the back of the pin replaced with something much smaller, but I won't do that unless I decide the pin can work on a hat.)

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
I don't mean to discourage you, since it's a matter of preference, but considering the pin shape which is like a shield, I don't think it would look good on fedora.

I think it's more suitable for a beret or army / cadet-style cap.

Just my thought.

RBH

Bartender
Way to go Fats !!!!!!!!

I think it would look fine. But first what size is the pin?
Also consulting a jeweller to replace the catch on the back is a good idea.
As to the hat I think a grey [not silverbelly] would look great. With a fairly wide ribbon.
Keep us posted!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
but not anything to get excited about.
What!!? Nothing to get excited about?!!! YEAH RIGHT!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What is the size of the pin? The pin I sent to Art was huge and by no means a hat pin at all. I know I told you about the progress but, Art did tell me from the beginning it may or may not work due to the size of the pin. So after seeing mine you may have a better idea of how you want to pursue it. I disagree with not using because of the shape though, the route 66 hats look absolutely great. If art can make an awesome hat out of a road sign then he can probably make an awesome hat off of anything! Most of your hats that I know about are the larger ribbon fedoras and I think would look well with it. If you do determine it to be too big then you could have a jeweller make a small piece with just the initials to put on the hat and then wear the pin on your lapel.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks everyone. To answer RBH's question, the pin is exactly 1 inch tall.

Yohanes - Thank you for airing your concerns. Strangely, I have been wearing the pin on the cap deanglen gave me, and that doesn't look too bad. My reservations come from the same place: the shape of the pin. Most pins on fedoras seem to be longer than they are tall, and the shield shape does cry out for a more military style hat. Having said that, the shape does sit very neatly on the piece of ribbon around the middle of the bow* on my Fieldmaster.

If I had a campaign hat, I could put it on the front. lol

(* What's that bit of ribbon called? Anybody?)

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
I say, put the pin on your "daily" hat or your "go to" hat! Congratulations! wear it with confidence.:eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
(* What's that bit of ribbon called? Anybody?)
I just thought it was supposed to be a center knot type thing!:eusa_doh: :rolleyes:
I think the shield shape goes more with the royal aspect as opposed to any military connotation.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fatwoul said:
If I had a campaign hat, I could put it on the front. lol

Just put a nice tight crimp on a center dent in the crown of your brown Resistwoul , and you will basically have a Span-Am War era style Campaign Hat. Switch out the fat ribbon for a 5/8" grosgrain with a two point bow like this:
CopyofIMGP0041_edited.jpg
Then pin that thing in front! You're all set!

dean

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Fatwoul, knowing your basic style, I'm sure I can make one for you that you will be pleased with. I have an idea aready based on it's colors but I don't think I need to go into it right now. I CAN tell you that Indycop's hat is on it's way and in a few days, if he decides to open it before Christmas, you should be able to see what I did for him. If you like that, then we have a model to start with.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
Fatwoul, knowing your basic style, I'm sure I can make one for you that you will be pleased with. I have an idea aready based on it's colors but I don't think I need to go into it right now. I CAN tell you that Indycop's hat is on it's way and in a few days, if he decides to open it before Christmas, you should be able to see what I did for him. If you like that, then we have a model to start with.
Great! now I can tell Deelovely that I have to open it before Christmas so Robin can see it!!:eusa_clap :D

majormoore

Vendor
The pin, looks wonderful, pat yourself on the back for working had to get one, I like the pin, and would have loved to had hat liners with that sun, design in them.

The pin will look good on any hat you buy from whom ever.

Major Moore

fatwoul said:
On Friday, I got my Associateship from the Royal Photographic Society. It's kind of a big deal to me, but not anything to get excited about.

They sent me my certificate, and they sent me a nice little lapel badge:

ARPS.jpg

I am tentatively considering my first custom hat from the likes of Mr. Moore or Mr. Fawcett, and I wondered that people thought of this as a hat pin. If you do think it would make an appropriate pin, I'd be interested to hear suggestions of a hat it might look good on, based not only on the pin but what you guys may have come to know about my own stylistic preferences.

So, let me know what you think. Links to hat pictures, ribbon styles, bow designs and general comments are all welcome. I'd be particularly interested if anybody thinks it would make a really bad pin.

(I'd need to consult a jeweller to have the large retainer on the back of the pin replaced with something much smaller, but I won't do that unless I decide the pin can work on a hat.)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if there are any hat liner collectors out there? some of them are really neat. And I like that the older ones actually came in colors other than white!

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks to Messrs. Fawcett and Moore for their input on this. I agree with Art that I should wait to see what IC's is like as an idea of style that might work with a larger pin like this (I understand from conversations with IC that his pin is also quite big).

I'm in no rush at all, so I can sit and wait quietly for our favourite grumpy-faced Floridian to open his parcel from Art. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Thanks to Messrs. Fawcett and Moore for their input on this. I agree with Art that I should wait to see what IC's is like as an idea of style that might work with a larger pin like this (I understand from conversations with IC that his pin is also quite big).

I'm in no rush at all, so I can sit and wait quietly for our favourite grumpy-faced Floridian to open his parcel from Art. :D
Is Colby jack really grumpy faced!??lol lol lol

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats!

I think that lovely pin would look brilliant on any hat you chose it to grace!
To illustrate I give you a selection of my recent pins...

fordV8.jpg

This is on my Royal DeLuxe Open Road

CPRail.jpg

... this, on a Dobbs

TennesseCentral.jpg

...on my Disney

TresuryCurling.jpg

and this on a beater of a 3x Open Road.

stet3xpinclose.jpg

This one is on my everyday 3x O.R.

So obviously I am biased, but I should think it would make a fantastic hat pin and what better reason to get an Art creation than a milestone like this one.

Again, well done!

RB

P.S. This one
patina.jpg

I am saving to adorn a hat from your side of the pond as it is the Unit emblem of Ian Fleming's "Red Indians" the 30th A.U. Special Intelligence Commando Unit from WW II. Someday when I'll get a Bond, Lock & Co. or a Herbert Johnson...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
P.S. This one
patina.jpg

I am saving to adorn a hat from your side of the pond as it is the Unit emblem of Ian Fleming's "Red Indians" the 30th A.U. Special Intelligence Commando Unit from WW II. Someday when I'll get a Bond, Lock & Co. or a Herbert Johnson...
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I cannot wait to see this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

fatwoul

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
This is on my Royal DeLuxe Open Road

CPRail.jpg

... this, on a Dobbs

Thanks Rick - This is the kind of position I was thinking of, yes. Do you have a picture of the whole hat, so I could see how the pin looks in-situ? That'd be really helpful in deciding whether a crest-type pin would look ok.

Also, while you're at it, could you or someone else please photograph one of these pins off their hat? So I could see the back of one? It'd be handy to know what they look like.

Incidentally, in case it isn't clear in the pin photo, together with the black, white and gold, there are also grey and a hint of deep red, so I have plenty of scope for a colour scheme. Right now I'm wondering about maybe a grey felt, with a deep (and relatively neutral) blood-red ribbon. If I could find a ribbon with a VERY subtle gold pattern to it, that could look really good. That would make use of the three colours from the pin, and not use the black or white, which I think might make the hat look a little too jazzy.

Thanks again guys, both for the comments about the hat, and for your congratulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn