Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tan Shoes with Pink Shoelaces

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Correction!

That is Dodie Stevens singing.

[YOUTUBE]oDTKyIqPzrg[/YOUTUBE]

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, that is the point I made. It was definitely Dodie Stevens and not Connie Stevens. I think Connie Stevens did "Sixteen Reasons," as indicated on the record cover, but she was more of an actress than a singer. She was Cricket Blake on "Hawaiian Eye" and had a few other parts. Another hit she had was "Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" maybe in the 60s? That may have come from "77 Sunset Strip" which had a character called Kookie Burns, who was always combing his hair. I haven't thought of this stuff in years.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Peacoat said:
Yes, that is the point I made.
Sorry for the redundancy but I was interrupted mid-post for a half hour and it was only after I finally hit the reply button that I noticed that you had posted in the interim. [huh]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Your FL Cultural Deconstructionist Speaks

Now I've got a guy and his name is Dooley
He's my guy and I love him truly
He's not good lookin', heaven knows
But I'm wild about his crazy clothes

He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
Tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

He takes me deep-sea fishing in a submarine
We got to drive-in movies in a limousine
He's got a whirly-birdy and a 12-foot yacht
Ah, but thats-a not all he's got

He's got tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
Tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

Studies have shown a correlation between colorblindness and high levels of testosterone. Dooley's attractiveness to the singer is obviously based on his manliness ("man, oh, man"..."deep-sea fishing"), accented by material status and of course his inability to color-coordinate.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Seems Larry wasn't a stickler for the details......

[YOUTUBE]4hbVp4ELGPs[/YOUTUBE]

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Strangely, I just acquired a pair of (mens') grey suede brogue shoes from a vintage shop and they have pink laces - I was going to replace them, but I wonder if they are original?

I already had the Panama hat with the purple band...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Pink Shoelaces: An Alternate View

Applying the tenets of queer theory, by which gender scholars reclaim history in, for, and toward a more inclusive context, we must confront the possibility that Dooley's assertive masculinity is purely performative: his dandyism, a gay male prerogative since the time of Oscar Wilde, may well be the true expression of his sexuality despite his presumed interest in the subject, the presumed-female singer, or indeed the singer, who is audibly female, may herself be recapitulating, even interpellating, the role of a gay male, raising the question of who is whose "beard" as well as whose transgressiveness is more fully embodied, that on the sound recording or that merely spoken of in terms of the accessories of both hegemonic masculinity and its traditionally unspoken opposite, style.

Write a more convoluted sentence than that and I'll spit-shine your shoes by mail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo