Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taped on hatband ribbons

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I just spotted something in one of the threads over in the classified section.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45642

Scrolling down the thread, I spotted a Penney's branded hat sporting some marks on the hatband that look like someone might have had a piece of tape on the outside at some point in time.

I suspect it's adhesive leaching thru the hatband from double-sided tape used to attach the ribbon to the crown. At least the marks look exactly like what I've seen before.

I've picked up several vintage hats sporting store and/or off-branding that have had their ribbons taped in place with double-sided tape as opposed to being sewn on.

I suspect that this was a cost-cutting measure employed at the time of manufacture, as opposed to some sort of repair measure.

None of the taped ribbons I've run across sported holes from having been sewn on at some point. They've all appeared to be the same age as the rest of the hat, furthering my theory.

I've only seen this on store and off-brand name hats, so far.

My question is, have any of y'all seen this as well, and might someone know if this was, indeed, a manufacturing method??

Later!

Stan

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, I don't have one in that condition at the moment. I tend to replace the ribbons that need replacing, and so have none right now that haven't already had their ribbons replaced.....

Next one I find at an estate sale gets photographed!

Later,

Stan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot