Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TCM - Where should they cut it off?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Watching TCM, as I do, and wondering, as we all have done, why in the world are they playing films like Tootsie, Stand By Me, Parenthood, as Feraud has lamented in these archives, and those odd and assorted horror movies; I asked myself, where should they cut it off and why?

Initially, I thought the latest film to be played should be Lawrence of Arabia. This sweeping classic epic with the support of Claude Raines seemed as good of a spot as any. But at 1962, it would cut off some exceptional films, including Hitchcock's Marne, My Fair Lady (which I find grating, but belongs in this company), or A Man For All Seasons.

Then I thought that perhaps The Graduate would make a good ending. This film strikes me as the first important film with the Boomer generation as its focus and it was made the year I was born, 1967. It seems reasonable to cut it off after the defining film of the post WWII generation.

Ultimately, to encompass films such as The Sting, I decided to cut it off in 1974 with one of the films that encompasses all of life, The Godfather II.

But what of The Man Who Would Be King?? ;)

So, what do you think? In what year should TCM programmers cut off films for airing, with what film, and why?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Are you asking what year in the future or what year the film was released should they cut off?

Well considering that they are part of Warner Brothers, most of their library is from their vault, with occasional films that, over time and through adventures of the legal system, have fallen into their hands as well. They are always trying to add more films to their library. Many films that once were owned by Warner Brothers (and made by) have also fallen into the hands of other companies, so TCM has to buy the rights back. That's one reason why we see many films being repeated occasionally. Because their library gets limited after a while.

I wonder how a weekly TCM broadcast really works. How they chose each of these movies in the line up. When they highlight a director, actress, actor, etc, then I understand their line up. The rest of the time is just seems like they are throwing in whatever they have.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Time Warner Cable has already moved it to their digital cable. I used to be able to watch it anywhere in the house. Now I can only see it where the box is hooked up. The living room.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As long as they don't fall into the middlebrow mall-movie morass that claimed AMC, I don't mind when TCM shows the occasional '80s film. If I were running my own vintage movie channel there'd be next to nothing shown post-1945, but that's just me.

The reality is, the demographics are slowly but surely moving TCM toward a more "youth-driven" focus -- at least we can be thankful for the fact that they seem to be at least trying to keep that focus on that segment of the youth market that understands that the world of popular entertainment extends back further than 1990.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
well- or cable company's pulling it on the 15th. After that, you have to pay extra to get it.

Our cable company, Comcast, cut it off without any warning a couple of years ago. We went to watch it and got the message "you do not subscribe to this channel". We called Comcast to see what the problem was, they said that it was a mistake that we were getting it. A 6 year long mistake!!! The least they could have done was let us know on our monthly bill that there was a mistake and tell us what our options were. Instead we had to call their horrible customer service. As if we don't pay enough for our cable, they now charge us $2 a month just so we can have TCM. I know, this isn't a lot of money, but it's the principle, how they just took it away from us without any warning:(

As for what year the cut off for their movies should be, I think 1969. I'm not too fond of the movies from the 60's, but there are a few that are worth watching. Other than that they have been playing one too many Beach Blanket movies, and although they are a big part of cinematic history, I think that maybe they should be played on a new channel. Maybe a channel that plays "the new classics". For the most part I love TCM, but every so often, lately more often, they play these really bad movies, all day long:eusa_doh: [huh]

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
As long as they don't fall into the middlebrow mall-movie morass that claimed AMC, I don't mind when TCM shows the occasional '80s film. If I were running my own vintage movie channel there'd be next to nothing shown post-1945, but that's just me.
Exactly what I was looking for, but with what film, and why? And remember, if you cut it off at '45 you would miss films like The Third Man, North by Northwest, and Vertigo.

There is nothing wrong with films made recently. They just don't belong on TCM, just as a movie like U-571 doesn't belong on The Biography Channel and that is currently what is on there.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
That's a really hard nut to crack because there's been so many classic movies coming out after 1945 (for instance) as well. And it creates another question, should whatever cutoff date be moved forward as time moves forward? In other words, could TCM be showing 'Dude Where is My Car' fifty years from now?

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm not sure. On days when they are doing themes, I think they should be able to pull from anytime. For instance, not long ago, they played Devil in a Blue Dress (1995) or movies from the 70s. I guess the mid 80s would be a decent cut off since, it IS 2007 and movies from that time would be at least 20 years old. But does the passing of 20 years make something a classic? [huh]

(now I'm all confused) lol

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I have been disappointed in TCM for the last couple of years. I am one of the few on their message boards screaming about the influx of newer movies but no one else seems to mind them. The excuse is that classic movies is not a time period, so there can be new classics, plus they have to appeal to the younger demographic.
I turn to TCM for old movies, which you really can't find anywhere else on cable - except for the Fox movie channel periodically. All the post 70's movies can be seen on other cable channels, or at least rented on DVD. I feel TCM should be our haven for old pre 70's movies. If I had my druthers it would be pre mid 50's, but you can't have everything.

I also hate those cutesy themes they come up with just to have an excuse for the newer movies. And in June TCM is celebrating gay pride month.

Feraud

Bartender
I have no idea what cut off date TCM should use!

Every decade has its classic film. I would like to think they take it on a case by case basis rather than a strict cut off point. I would not mind seeing The Terminator (1992) on TCM but have nightmares of tuning in and seeing Wayne's World.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Although there are fine films from the 60's, I'd not mind if they stuck with the Hollywood of the big studio era;basically,from the beginings until about the late 50s. Exceptions could be made for foreign films going into the early 60s-otherwise we can't see "La Dolce Vita",etc.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
See, I look at it this way; there was a period known as The Golden Age of Hollywood generally characterized as the studio system that produced films with a vast range of merit, but films that are rarely seen today. If you are a fan of these films, you generally have two options: DVD and TCM.

As of late TCM has been flooding its airwaves with the sort of fare one can find anywhere and this fare has no relevance to the period that TCM was originally designed to celebrate and to the body of films TCM has played for the last 15 years.

I think the fear is that films like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (yes, it was on a few weeks back) might change its mission.

TCM at its best unveils films that are rarely seen, or in the case of Double Harness, films that haven't been seen for the past 50 years.

Personally, I think you would be hard pressed to find a classic in the Age of Blockbusters, though several good films are still made. The passage of time does not a classic make. -And there are other outlets for these films. I like some of them as much as the next man, but I prefer when they are not played on TCM.

So, this is an intellectual exercise that if you were to program the channel, where would you cut it off and with what film?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I was reading a couple years back, I can't remember where, but the article was about AMC and how when they started showing 80's and newer films their viewership increased substantially.:eek: So, once again what starts out as a niche channel turns into a mass market channel.[huh]

Where I would like TCM cut off it's movies in terms of year of production is 1966. The movies after that year took on different dialouge, vernacular and cinematography. Godfather, Patton, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice are all great films but their productions should be considered early modern rather than "Classic".

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Jay said:
I draw the line at those damned talking pictures!

Surely, you must've meant to say talkies, right? :p

It would be a huge joy of mine if they had a channel dedicated only to silent movies, not that I'm much of a Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton fan (although Buster was much more of a comedic genius) but there are so many other actors (oh Lon Chaney!) and movies that seem to have passed so far into obscurity these days. Sad sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I rarely watch movies made after 1942ish, but I don't mind the healthy mix TCM has to offer. This argument of whether or not TCM is "getting worse" has been going on for years. I'll admit I don't pay much attention to anything else except the movies I pre-plan to record. When the new schedule comes out I skim it for 30s or earlier films, take note of the plot and stars, and if it interests me I write it on my "to record" list by the television.

I also have lots of other sources for films that I like so maybe that's why the newer movies and "hipping up" of TCM doesn't bother me so much! Not to mention all the movies I've taped over the years and still haven't watched!! :eek:

*watching Dr. X (1932) right now! beautifully bizarre!*

I also don't mind them showing my beloved pre-Code "B" movies in the wee hours of the morning. It seems to be a fitting time for them. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I'd stay up to watch the late, late show -- the only source for old movies we had back then! And most of them were UNRESTORED! I count my lucky stars for TCM every day and the fabulous collection of movies it has given me.

I'm pretty easy going and easy to please! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner