Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's our official state beverage, so it's in every grocery store, gas station, and country store here, and it's also popular in New Hampshire -- where it's now manufactured -- and Massachusetts. I don't think you can get it in Connecticut, though, so I think that's as far as it goes short of a few "speciality" retailers here and there.

The brand is owned by Coca-Cola Bottling of New England, which manufactures it thru a subsidiary company, and handles distribution thruout the region. Connecticut is Coca-Cola of New York territory, so I suspect that CCNE is only allowed to distribute it within their specific territory.

Was anyone ever told to make sure that they wore clean underwear, in case they were ever involved in an accident? Or was that advice unique to my mother?

It was a running joke among my people, the clear implication being that the grownups were more concerned about what people might think of their parenting ("who could ever send a child out in dirty underwear?") than whatever injuries the kids might suffer. It was another way of saying "I won't always be here, so you'd best learn how to watch after yourself."

As best I can tell, no one has yet mentioned "in his cups."

I recall hearing the phrase as a youngster, and ascertaining its meaning from context.

My people didn't use the phrase, though. The equivalent in our circles was "he's feeling no pain."

Many and varied are the euphemisms for alcoholic inebriation. Snockered. Wooflesnated. Plastered. Zonked. On his lips. Bombed.

Surely there are hundreds more.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Plastered!

This came from a man that was a master wall repairer, he was considered the best
in the world at his peak, he developed what we now know as plaster,
he had one falling which he drank...heavily, and often fell from his ladder.

One frightful day, while working alone he took a tumble from over twenty feet
and landed in a liquid-solidified plaster compound and was unable to pull himself out.

When discovered face-down and stuck.
He had in his final attempt to clear himself
reached for his bottle of spirits which was clutched in his hand.

The folks were sad and amazed. They said in his honor he was “Plastered”, thus
the name took hold and now every time it is used to describe a drunken person
(usually male) as an homage to him.

It’s true because wikepedia said so. :p

Last edited:
bumper_sticker_barneyyouregased.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner