Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

To "smack (somebody)" (into the face).

In Germany, my generation still knows this term, but the smartphone-generation probably don't use it, because it's much too old-fashion 90's-speech.

But, the kiddies surely still say the more basic "to belt (somebody)", or more probably the popular newer-times "to pop (somebody) (into the face)".

If a todays girl says, on preparing for getting outside: "Um, I just take my "smurf"". o_O

Means, she likes to wear her "hoodie". :D

Kiddies, kiddies... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a Swahili phrase. It is still in use, I'm told. (Sorry, just had to post this because I love the photo, the clothing, the hats, the cars. Everything!)

Pole sana.png

madame babette

New in Town
My Wife is really into sewing too so she was really happy when our local super market put in a notions department. Well stocked and at competitive prices. I asked the manager why they added the department and he said it was because of the 50+ women thing as well.

David, do they actually have a sign that says "NOTIONS"? If so, that is great to know.

Notions counters at one time had a lot more than just sewing needs. I wonder... How do the notions areas of Walmart and grocery stores differentiate themselves from a "sewing" area or department? Or are they just another area within the sewing department? I suspect the notions area in big stores now are not at all a "department" or "counter", are they?

Does Walmart actually have a sign that says "NOTIONS" or is it just an area within the sewing department? Since I refuse to even step foot inside a Walmart I cannot find that out for myself!

I recall the department and dime stores in my town when I was little, had notions counters in the front of the store, or the basement (depending on the store) and it was a separate area from the sewing and fabric department. Not even close to each other.

Last edited:
While on the subject of retailing, are there still "floor walkers"?

I've been out of retailing for almost thirty years, but I can't believe that job would survive the combination of cutbacks and technology advances that would make a lot of that job unnecessary. That said, good question and I'd love to hear from someone with current information.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The last store I personally knew of that had traditional floorwalkers closed in the mid-90s. In the modern "discount department store" model, I think the main function of floorwalkers -- to guide customers to whatever section of the store that has what they want -- falls to stock clerks. In fact, I'd say the closest thing there is to floorwalkers in modern retail are those orange-apron people at Home Depot. I can't walk six feet in that place without at least one of them asking if they can help me find what I need.

...I'd say the closest thing there is to floorwalkers in modern retail are those orange-apron people at Home Depot. I can't walk six feet in that place without at least one of them asking if they can help me find what I need.
Really? Our local Home Depot locations are very much a "do it yourself" affair where contractors and others who know what they need can go to obtain supplies. Those wearing the orange aprons are usually occupied (or pretending to be) with re-stocking shelves, and will all but ignore you unless you speak to them directly, at which point they'll usually direct you to another employee (who may or may not actually exist, but is never where the first employee said they'd be) who allegedly has a more extensive knowledge of whatever you're looking for. So Home Depot is fine if you know what you need and know where they keep it. But if you need any assistance whatsoever, you go to Lowe's where the odds are marginally better that you'll find an employee who can help you.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I know some older sports fans that insist that basketball games are divided into "periods", not "quarters". I think both are acceptable these days, but I do remember when it was always a period in basketball and a quarter in football. I'm not talking about men's college basketball which is played in halves, and referred to as such.
Periods: Hockey. Period. :)
Then there's the chukka.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I'm still very cranky about ...
I can deal with the LCS, and a prelim round with one wildcard team thrown in. However, I would like to see this format, indicating the importance of each.
  • Round 1: Best of 3
  • LCS: Best of 5
  • World Series: Best of 7
But, if you really want to get me going, the "Designated Hitter" rule is a travesty. The first rule of baseball is
1.01 Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires. <Rules of Baseball>
The rules for substitution, (section 5.10), subsection (b) says, and I quote, "A player once removed from a game shall not re-enter that game."

Once the DH comes to bat the pitcher should be changed.

Really? Our local Home Depot locations are very much a "do it yourself" affair where contractors and others who know what they need can go to obtain supplies. Those wearing the orange aprons are usually occupied (or pretending to be) with re-stocking shelves, and will all but ignore you unless you speak to them directly, at which point they'll usually direct you to another employee (who may or may not actually exist, but is never where the first employee said they'd be) who allegedly has a more extensive knowledge of whatever you're looking for. So Home Depot is fine if you know what you need and know where they keep it. But if you need any assistance whatsoever, you go to Lowe's where the odds are marginally better that you'll find an employee who can help you.

We have a HD in the city (takes up the entire basement level of the Bloomberg Tower - amazing to find that much contiguous space in the city) and my experience has been, with the occasional exception, the same as yours. Despite a bunch of people in orange aprons, you are pretty much on your own in that behemoth of a store.

Most of the employees try to avoid making eye contact and when you do get one's attention they send you to someone who, they say, has more knowledge in what your inquiring about, but really doesn't. However, 5% of the time, I have had outstanding service where an employee has helped me find what I need (which is no small task) and shown me options, etc. But 95% of the time, it's like I'm alone in this gigantic warehouse that has what I need if I can find it.

As to floorwalkers, there's a scene in the movie "Holiday Affair," a 1949 Christmas movie with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh, where a floorwalker plays a small but crucial role early on as he watches over store employee Mitchum who is trying to make time with Leigh against store policy. Mitchum makes the comment that, I'm paraphrasing, floorwalkers have big ears (meaning he overheard Mitchum's inappropriate conversation with Leigh).

Is "making time" an expression that is disappearing? I could post it over in that thread - thoughts?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
David, do they actually have a sign that says "NOTIONS"? If so, that is great to know.

Notions counters at one time had a lot more than just sewing needs. I wonder... How do the notions areas of Walmart and grocery stores differentiate themselves from a "sewing" area or department? Or are they just another area within the sewing department? I suspect the notions area in big stores now are not at all a "department" or "counter", are they?

Does Walmart actually have a sign that says "NOTIONS" or is it just an area within the sewing department? Since I refuse to even step foot inside a Walmart I cannot find that out for myself!

I recall the department and dime stores in my town when I was little, had notions counters in the front of the store, or the basement (depending on the store) and it was a separate area from the sewing and fabric department. Not even close to each other.

I've never noticed the signage at our local Walmart, but I think it says something like SEWING & CRAFTS. It's a catch-all for fabric, patterns, yarn, crafty stuff, and yes, notions. Our local sewing shop does have a "Notions" sign, but it's trying to be self-consciously "retro" in doing so.

Speaking of milliners, there was a company in Boston years ago that manufactured baseball caps for most of the big-league teams, and they promoted themselves under the slogan "MILLINERS TO THE MAJORS." I don't think anyone had the heart to tell them what a "milliner" really was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner