Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
venturewear_2.png

Nice coat, dude.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've been trying to find some large format photos of Osa and/or Martin Johnson during their African film forays. I know we had some great shots floating around here, but damned if a search on Osa turns up a single item! Help me out, adventurers! A search on the web seems to indicate that all the high quality images that I used to know of seem to have been pulled, perhaps for copyright violations. I just need some high quality images I can print out to replace some photos on my walls! Anyone know of a good image source?

Thanks!

kiltie

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
I've been trying to find some large format photos of Osa and/or Martin Johnson during their African film forays. I know we had some great shots floating around here, but damned if a search on Osa turns up a single item! Help me out, adventurers! A search on the web seems to indicate that all the high quality images that I used to know of seem to have been pulled, perhaps for copyright violations. I just need some high quality images I can print out to replace some photos on my walls! Anyone know of a good image source?

Thanks!

You have the "Safari" book by Bartle Bull*? There's a couple in there I could scan...

*b-b-b-b-baaaby; that's alotta 'b's

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Yes, and I swear that's the site that used to have them in a much larger format. I've used a couple from there, as well as from the Holcomb's Aerodrome. Holcomb's Aerodrome has some great shots, like this one:

s39_G361.jpg

But of course their focus is on the aircraft, not the people or the events.

Kiltie, I' be obliged of any that might look good on the wall, if you have the time to do some scanning! (Buddy boy, that'd be bully!)

Mike, that's funny you should post that photo, because that is the exact photo I've used thus far! It didn't come out so well from my inkjet, but I am going to try again on the laser at work tomorrow.

Here's another I like:

oldcamera.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
It's possible I've missed it in this thread (which I've read...but not all of it very recently...it is truly the Grand Canyon of threads...) but does anyone have a source on hemp clothing that do NOT look like they're missing their Dead Concert?

I love the concept of hemp for adventurer's clothing but, uh, the predominant aesthetic... no.

Warbaby

One Too Many
As an incidental sidenote on the Martin & Osa Johnson museum...

When the museum moved to its current quarters in the renovated train station in 1993, I was doing freelance conservation and exhibition mounting and was hired by the exhibit designers to install the objects in the exhibition. If you are ever within driving distance of Chanute, it's definitely worth visiting - the museum's collection of African art is one of the finest in the world.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Viola said:
does anyone have a source on hemp clothing that do NOT look like they're missing their Dead Concert?

I love the concept of hemp for adventurer's clothing but, uh, the predominant aesthetic... no.

Having searched for quite a while, I'm fairly confident there is no source for this type of thing. There is a small market emerging (you, me...) but no supplier. This is a shame because hemp canvas, for example, is durable, doesn't mildew and looks good.

The Hemp Shop has a fair range of hemp fabrics. They supply a sample book at a small cost.

I guess what I'm saying is, you'll have to make the clothes yourself or have them made for you.

Cue the usual Cheech 'n' Chong responses to hemp fabric queries. I never tire of reading them. :rolleyes:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hemp

While I agree that hemp apparel is largely a niche market (and way too much is catered to the neo-hippies), there are still a lot of fine clothing articles out there to be found. In addition to hemp, bamboo fiber also seems to be making surge in the market. My advice is to do a Google IMAGE or SHOPPING search for "hemp shirt," "hemp pants," etc. I just did a quick search for hemp shirt and found a number of nice looking, button-up shirts that I would certainly consider (mostly from Patagonia).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
HEMP

Hemp is a historical cloth and quite pertinent, in an early to mid-20th Century interest group, such as we have here. Hemp was widely used in clothing, especially in Europe, where cotton was not so prevalent. Linen was also commonly used, sometimes combined with hemp, or cotton. Hemp makes such a hard wearing cloth, which when woven in traditional style, has a beautiful drape and weight to it. Hemp also has a great texture, especially apparent in coarser, workmanlike cloths. The natural colour of hemp is also very nice, with a nice mottled, fawn and cream. Hemp, as was used in work clothes and military fatigues and summer uniforms in the first half of the 20th Century, was often woven in a Herringbone Twill weave, which is quite fantastic. The use of hemp in clothing textiles faded out after the '40s.

Hemp, as most of us know but some may not, is a wonderful resource-
easily cultivated, fast growing and with an enormous yield, when compared to cotton. Hemp has very long and strong fibres- the longest cotton fibres are only millimetres in length, whereas hemp fibres can be as long as the plant is high- sometimes 12 feet, or more. Hemp has virtually no waste.

What we are missing out on, in the hemp clothing of today, is the nice heavy cloths of yesteryear- now we have T-shirts in hemp, which are difficult for most people to differentiate from cotton- it's hemp as an elite, Eco-product, a luxury item for the "enlightened", rather than what we used to have.

People tend to think that Hemp cloths are ropey and rough, the truth is,
it can be very nice and smooth with a lot of bulk and a fine lustre.

I have a pair of French military trousers from the '20s, or '30s, maybe earlier, which are quite crude in cut and construction but the cloth is fantastic-
bulky and supple.

It would be really great if some suitable styles and cuts were available in a more traditional hemp cloth, to suit people like me and the other 2 interested people in the world.

Build it and they will come!

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
BT

Make that 3. Levi Strauss used to do a range of jeans in hemp rather than cotton denim. I have worn a pair for years and they are much more stable ITO colour and are (IMO) more rugged than modern cotton denim.

Hemp and linen (again IMO) are superior to cotton in many respects. Commercial concerns such as cheapness of imports, transport costs and the possibility of filling with cotton the holds of ships that would otherwise be returning from the New World 'in ballast' have been cited as reasons for the relative demise of hemp and linen as clothing in Europe. Professor Mary Rose's work on the Lancashire cotton industry is interesting in this regard.

Orvis does some hemp garments and has just introduced a sort of sport jacket that may be of interest to 'adventure gear' fans. Actually, for Orvis, it's not too bad.
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc...oup_id=470&cat_id=8763&subcat_id=8764&scrdr=1

Creeping Past

One Too Many
:eusa_doh:

You turn your back on the internet for 5 minutes and Orvis starts selling an okay-looking hemp jacket and waistcoat combo... and makes them available in the UK as well as the US.

Thanks for the info HJ.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Having visited their premises recently, I'm also reasonably impressed by the new Rhinohide safari jacket, with half belt and bi-swing back.

I have to admit that I'm a long-term closet Orvis fan. I haven't bought their stuff for ages and I hate their 'hype' (and their prices) with a passion, but I have had a vintage looking three-piece suit (3-button blanket-lined sack jacket with button cuffs) in Rhinohide for over ten years and have worn it all over the (colder) world. I have to admit that it performs well and looks the part. Even David Saxby complemented me on it once! Needless to say, they no longer make that stuff...

Orvis's Ventile (r) shirt and jacket combo is also quite impressive, but is amazingly expensive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot