Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

LordBest

Practically Family
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I thought it may be of interest. I've just finished reading "Curries & Bugles: A memoir & cookbook of the British Raj" by Jennifer Brennan.
It is full of anecdotes, family pictures and stories from the Raj from the '20s through to the '40s. The pictures are rather small but they show uniforms, civilian clothes, womens clothes, native clothes and a great many hats. With both the pictures and insights into daily life in the Raj I thought it could be a useful tool for a chap anxious for authenticity.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mysterious Mose said:
Nice hat.True to size. Eurokhaki. High and wide.Traclet's added Prym stud buttons for a slouch brim and grommets for a stampede string. Kryptonite sweatband and liner.

Hello-

I have an older example of one of these (cloth/cork) hats and the sweatband
is a type of "leatherette". Should I be confused by your use of the word, "Kryptonite", in describing yours..?
Are you using the word to describe the "materials" as being inferior to what you would prefer..?

Traclet added the extras, on your request?

I spent about an hour picking all the cork out of the crown on my hat,
to make it more floppy. It worked. The brim remains,... "corked".

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Inferior, foamy white "stuff" liner, sythetic sweatband. Shame 'cause it's a great hat. No, I didn't know about the added snaps and grommets, it's fine.If you enlarge the picture on Traclet's page you can actually see them. It makes it more of a utility hat. From Matt's photo I had the impression it was more of a casual, wear with chino's and a Hula shirt, kind of hat. I'll get some wear out of it, with cotton duck trousers and chambray shirt to match.

buler

I'll Lock Up
trousers

Found these tonight. Not sure why I bought them except they looked really nice and appear unworn. Are they military or hunting? All I know is they are made by Widengrens and are stamped with 3 crowns and 1945. Interesting leather strap ankle closures. Metal buttons.

thanks for any info,
B

widengrens_pants_2.jpg

widengrens_pants_1.jpg

widengrens_pants_3.jpg

widengrens_pants_4.jpg

widengrens_pants_5.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep- Swedish 1939 pattern- the "cargo pockets" are a '50s retro-fit.
Seems they made WAY too many of these pants- used them from '39, through the war, through the '40s and into the '50s, when they put the thigh pockets on and re-named them (M39/58?). They were still being used into the '70s, probably later. They look good with the pockets off.

B
T

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I have those same pants. Though, I actually don't think mine have the pockets...I should check when I get them out of storage. They are my favorite winter outdoor pants. We may even downhill ski in them this year (my husband has a pair also) - for a vintage look.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I tried on a pair of the Swedish pants at the Sportsman's Guide once. The pants didn't fit right so I did not buy them. One concern I had was the cotton fabric at the bottom of the pants. In wet snow this area will soak up moisture and freeze. Definately a problem, especially on overnight trips. However, the fabric is wonderful.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well, regarding you concern- the Swedish army used them from 1939, until the '70s, if that's any kind of positive recommendation. Wool gets wet too and I'm sure that any "wet trousers" will freeze. Those trousers were used with ankle boots and short canvas gaiters in many instances and higher gaiters and boots in others. The "cotton" is canvas and it may even be proofed.
We get a little snow in Sweden, now and again, just like Minnesota. ;)

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
DSCN3496.jpg

Luftwaffe shirt, leather waistcoat, floppy khaki hat and more khaki trousers.

B
T

There's the Pampa hat! I never get tired of looking at these photos. Still hoping for more, someday. If I can figure out how these cameras work, I might try something similar myself.

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
You're up late.
Wow- that must be a couple of years ago now, maybe a bit more.
I still have all that stuff.

There'll be more, I hope- soon.

B
T

I can't tell you how I covet that vest... :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace