Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

OJEditor

New in Town
Perhaps I can help.

I'm the co-founder and executive editor of Overland Journal, and I've been visiting this site - and particularly this thread - for months now. I couldn't help noticing an enormous amount of synchronicity between many posts here and the subjects and equipment we cover, so we decided to lend some support to the Fedora Lounge and introduce our magazine.

Overland Journal is a high-quality, five-times-per-year publication devoted to expedition travel around the world. We publish in-depth trip stories, and also conduct intensive product reviews of everything from rooftop tents to knives to foul-weather gear.

We have a low (30 percent) ad content, which allows us to reproduce lengthy trip stories in their entirety. Our reviews are unbiased, and we tell the truth about our results. We recently tested an electric vehicle winch to (unexpected) destruction, and in a water purifier review found one well-known product that failed to effectively remove pathogens as advertised.

Our recent trip stories have included everything from a six-month trip across Africa in a Land Rover Defender, to the tale of a woman who drove a $750 Chevy van from Arizona to the tip of South America. Yet we also cover journeys in North America suitable for a three-day weekend.

So I think we're a good fit for a lot of you. I hope you'll take a look and try us - we have an unconditional guarantee.

I also hope to contribute and learn here on the Fedora Lounge . . . it's a wonderful resource.

Jonathan

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
OJEditor said:
Perhaps I can help.

I'm the co-founder and executive editor of Overland Journal, and I've been visiting this site - and particularly this thread - for months now. I couldn't help noticing an enormous amount of synchronicity between many posts here and the subjects and equipment we cover, so we decided to lend some support to the Fedora Lounge and introduce our magazine.

Overland Journal is a high-quality, five-times-per-year publication devoted to expedition travel around the world. We publish in-depth trip stories, and also conduct intensive product reviews of everything from rooftop tents to knives to foul-weather gear.

We have a low (30 percent) ad content, which allows us to reproduce lengthy trip stories in their entirety. Our reviews are unbiased, and we tell the truth about our results. We recently tested an electric vehicle winch to (unexpected) destruction, and in a water purifier review found one well-known product that failed to effectively remove pathogens as advertised.

Our recent trip stories have included everything from a six-month trip across Africa in a Land Rover Defender, to the tale of a woman who drove a $750 Chevy van from Arizona to the tip of South America. Yet we also cover journeys in North America suitable for a three-day weekend.

So I think we're a good fit for a lot of you. I hope you'll take a look and try us - we have an unconditional guarantee.

I also hope to contribute and learn here on the Fedora Lounge . . . it's a wonderful resource.

Jonathan

Welcome Jonathan

Are you planning to cover vintage gear issues in your journal?

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Overland Journal coincidence

Quite seperately I recently stumbled across Overland Journal and a couple of extracts online - I certainly considered subscribing on the spot - the magazine looked really well put together, high quality (the kind of thing you want to leave out on the coffee table and constantly dip into), well informed, well written and quite inspirational. My only hesitation was it appeared to have a North American focus (quite understandably) and so I wasn't sure how much relevance some of the content would have to me.... but that's only because I am in England.

Anyway, it is interesting to see how many well-informed and highly qualified people who are undoubtedly experts in their field appear to be Fedora Longe members. This online community is a literally encyclopaedic in it's quality and breadth of interest and knowledge.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
a short video from Ukraine of my overland adventure last summer..

It's in Ukrainian - it was filmed for Ukrainian TV in Kiev .... but if anyone is interested you can get a flavour of my charity rally adventure last year when I (along with the two American team mates I recruited) attempted to drive a 1980 Ford Capri from London to Ulan Bataar ... and back again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSAdnkxnTgg

We had a few issues with time (caused by unexpected illness) and so didn't make it all the way to the Gobi and UB - but we still did 6,500 miles from London to Volgograd and back ... the capri sits quietly in my garage awaiting my next attempt!

OJEditor

New in Town
Charles,

We cover vintage gear every issue, in a column titled Classic Kit. Things that have been reviewed there include volcano kettles, the Leica M3, Barbour jackets, the Michelin XS desert tire, Rolex expedition watches (written by Sahara veteran Tom Sheppard, a contributing editor), hurricane lanterns, and a bunch more.

However, we frequently put up classic equipment against more modern alternatives in our main equipment reviews. A motorcycle jacket review I wrote last spring included the Barbour International, which proved to be a viable choice even today.

Speedbird - We include a North American trip story in every issue, but our longer trip features are almost always international in scope. We recently published a story by a British woman who was part of a team that drove tuk-tuks (the little three-wheeled taxis you see in India) over the Karakoram Highway. Our last issue featured a story by a fellow (also British) who rode a tandem bicycle from Alaska to Argentina, inviting complete strangers to ride with him along the way (270 did so).

Of course our equipment reviews are almost always international in relevance.

Great Britain is our number one source for subscribers outside North America.

Regards,

Jonathan

OJEditor

New in Town
Slate, I'm glad to hear you're a subscriber.

Charles, please give us a try. There's a $10 sample issue offer on the website that includes postage and gets you a recent issue.

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Ok, so this probably belongs over in hats, but you guys will know this one. Every link to the puggaree.pdf I've found is dead. Anyone have a copy or a link that works?

Baggers

Practically Family
I've got it, but my hosting service only allows images and videos. Anyone have an idea how I can get this up on the forum?

Failing that, Gutshot, PM your email address and I'll send it to you.

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Gutshot said:
Ok, so this probably belongs over in hats, but you guys will know this one. Every link to the puggaree.pdf I've found is dead. Anyone have a copy or a link that works?
Here ya go!

puggaree.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Edward_Lindey said:
Does anyone know where someone could buy a double rifle that is good quality but dosent kill ones saving account?
Depends on what you define as affordable. One can get a Pedersoli Kodiak Mk.IV chambered in .45-70 or 9.3x74R for right around US$5000. Through online firearms auctions one can also find a Blaser S2 chambered in 375H&H thru 500NE starting at US$9000.

Boatwright

New in Town
Excuse me if this has been asked before, but where can one buy a puggaree? I have a nice crusher safari hat I got from EMS that is screaming for one to be added. The narrow olive colored band it came with looks booooring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo