Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Aero Mariner

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And as Monitor said: "Looks so much better worn than the promo photo would suggest it!". I really wonder how many jackets that I haven't never thought of trying because I don't like their promo pics could actually be really nice.

I remember the first few times looking on the Aero site and seeing the long Hercules thinking how ugly it was and why would anyone actually buy that, then I saw Simonc's Sherling one and completely changed my mind......I've now got one in my wardrobe lol.

I understand Aero don't like to use an actual model to display their jackets as they feel it restricts buyers to the same demographic as the model used for that pic but .... I cant help but think a lot of times the pics we see here with the jacket being worn makes it look much MUCH better.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Harris HTM, I just noticed you are in the Netherlands (Rotterdam?) and can see how Aero's Mariner would be appropriate for where you live as it is currently ~30 degrees cooler where you live than N Texas. Speaking of which, I have been tracking the weather in another dam city (Amsterdam) where we will be visiting the first week of July and trying to decide which places to cruise through during our brief journey in your home country.

well, these days it is rather cold here. I leave from home every morning at 06.30 to avoid the traffic and, as that time it is very cold, usually I wear my N3B or wool peacoat. But in the afternoons/evening I usually wear my Mariner. I will PM you about nice locations in the Netherlands!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I remember the first few times looking on the Aero site and seeing the long Hercules thinking how ugly it was and why would anyone actually buy that, then I saw Simonc's Sherling one and completely changed my mind......I've now got one in my wardrobe lol.

I understand Aero don't like to use an actual model to display their jackets as they feel it restricts buyers to the same demographic as the model used for that pic but .... I cant help but think a lot of times the pics we see here with the jacket being worn makes it look much MUCH better.

it would be a great idea if Aero made a sort of database in their website where, per model, you could see photos uploaded per users!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks and look forward to hearing from you regarding places to visit in Amsterdam. Looking at your brown FQHH Mariner, perhaps you need to consider another coat - a black FQHH Stockman, or even a Teamster which is my cold weather coat. My Teamster is lined with moleskin in the body shell, which is both warm and very durable, and cotton drill sleeves for ease of use. Anyhow, this is a nice thread for Lounge members contemplating a longer length coat and appreciate your posting your Mariner.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I’ve got a black Mariner which looks so much better in the flesh than on the Aero site. It looks really lumpy there, but worn it’s a leather peacoat style and quite elegant. Mine is well broken in though so not so elegant anymore. I think like a peacoat they look better fitted and quite trim.

tropicalbob

Just a coincidence! Where did you work in r'dam?
Out in the harbor at night. The man I worked with was a friend's father whose job it was to test the waters for pollution levels. I have no idea how he got me the job, but I was badly in need of money and it couldn't have come at a better time. He'd drink a lot of ginever and tell me astonishing stories about the war. I have very fond memories of those days and of the Dutch.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Out in the harbor at night. The man I worked with was a friend's father whose job it was to test the waters for pollution levels. I have no idea how he got me the job, but I was badly in need of money and it couldn't have come at a better time. He'd drink a lot of ginever and tell me astonishing stories about the war. I have very fond memories of those days and of the Dutch.
I usually drive near the harbor daily going to work (the A15 highway - "snelweg") if you remember!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thanks and look forward to hearing from you regarding places to visit in Amsterdam. Looking at your brown FQHH Mariner, perhaps you need to consider another coat - a black FQHH Stockman, or even a Teamster which is my cold weather coat. My Teamster is lined with moleskin in the body shell, which is both warm and very durable, and cotton drill sleeves for ease of use. Anyhow, this is a nice thread for Lounge members contemplating a longer length coat and appreciate your posting your Mariner.

Don't tempt me into buying another one! The Teamster is a really beautiful jacket and I really need a black FQHH! I will PM about your trip to NL.

Edward

Bartender
it would be a great idea if Aero made a sort of database in their website where, per model, you could see photos uploaded per users!

They did at one time have a page of photos sent in by customers - I don't know, tbh, if they still do. Looking at their site map, it seems to have been removed. I think thesedays it's so easy for folks to get their photos online, most people upload them to facebook and w.h.y. instead. Aero's FB page I think has a fair few photos people have shared - and, of course, it's not hard to find photos on here... It can indeed make a difference ( it was HoosierDaddy's photos on here that persuaded me to take a punt on my Highwayman, a design I'd also ways thought too boxy for me previously, now it's one of my most-worn jackets). Aero have said in the past, however, that they prefer not to put photos of the jackets being modelled on their main pages as they find that this affects sales significantly - i.e. if they show a young guy wearing the jacket, older guys won't buy one and vice versa. Given Aero's broad market, they obviously don't want to alienate any part of that.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
They did at one time have a page of photos sent in by customers - I don't know, tbh, if they still do. Looking at their site map, it seems to have been removed. I think thesedays it's so easy for folks to get their photos online, most people upload them to facebook and w.h.y. instead. Aero's FB page I think has a fair few photos people have shared - and, of course, it's not hard to find photos on here... It can indeed make a difference ( it was HoosierDaddy's photos on here that persuaded me to take a punt on my Highwayman, a design I'd also ways thought too boxy for me previously, now it's one of my most-worn jackets). Aero have said in the past, however, that they prefer not to put photos of the jackets being modelled on their main pages as they find that this affects sales significantly - i.e. if they show a young guy wearing the jacket, older guys won't buy one and vice versa. Given Aero's broad market, they obviously don't want to alienate any part of that.

They still have a customer gallery where there are a lot of pictures of different jackets posted. You have to trawl through them to find one you're interested in though. I thought that Mark Moyles showed the jackets much better on his defunct Aero US site. They were very well photographed and presented and really made you feel covetous. Which worked well for him I suppose….

Edward

Bartender
Probably turns up on a google search; couldn't find it on the site map at all. I find the website now is much improved; back when I first started seriously looking at Aeros in 2007, t was very limited, then it improved a bit around 2010/11. Much better now, though, as the photos are clearer, even if still lacking fit photos. Still, that function seems to have largely been overtaken by forums like this...

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Probably turns up on a google search; couldn't find it on the site map at all. I find the website now is much improved; back when I first started seriously looking at Aeros in 2007, t was very limited, then it improved a bit around 2010/11. Much better now, though, as the photos are clearer, even if still lacking fit photos. Still, that function seems to have largely been overtaken by forums like this...

It’s the home page on the left hand side where special offers are. Gallery, one up from the bottom. Maybe it isn’t displaying on your browser?

Edward

Bartender
Ah! Got it, thanks. Yeah, it's not been updated in a while - I think that function must have been overtaken by facebook (understandable, really - much less fuss for most folks to 'share' on FB than email in photos..).

Doublegun

Practically Family
i'm in the process of deciding what my next Aero will be and the Mariner is one of the coats I'm considering. I've been wearing my brown FQHH LHB for about 8-years and I want to add a longer, coat with room for a heavy sweater underneath and I'm thinking Cheyenne, Stockman, or Mariner.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'1, 250#) and not as svelte as I once was but I don't want to look like I'm wearing a leather tent. The Mariner seems to be a little tapered and is more interesting because it's double-breasted. I'm hoping members would be kind enough to post photos of their Mariner's so I can get a better idea of what the coat actually looks like.

Another question: Color/leather? I'm not a black leather guy and my LHB is brown FQHH so that's out. The weight of the leather is not a concern, I want something that will age well and develop character. Colors? Blackened brown? Antique brown? Dark seal?

Thanks,

JDG

Mark

Practically Family
What are your thoughts about longer jackets/coats for shorter guys like myself? (5.6ft). Always fancied a Teamster inparticular but have considered longer coats to be for taller guys only.
Beautiful Mariner Harris and looks to be a good fit too.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The Mariner seems to be a little tapered
Indeed it is just a little tapered. It is supposed to be worn as overcoat, so it can be worn over a sweater. I usually wear mine over shirt + wool sweater.

What are your thoughts about longer jackets/coats for shorter guys like myself? (5.6ft). Always fancied a Teamster inparticular but have considered longer coats to be for taller guys only.
I am also short (1.72m). I don't think long jackets would look bad on short guys.

ProteinNerd

Indeed it is just a little tapered. It is supposed to be worn as overcoat, so it can be worn over a sweater. I usually wear mine over shirt + wool sweater.

I am also short (1.72m). I don't think long jackets would look bad on short guys.

As long as it proportional for your height I think they still work well.

In most instances, jackets are bought off the rack and therefore can be too long for shorter guys and cause the issue of making the wearer look shorter but if you are getting one made just have its length adjusted for your height and you should be golden....

Harris HTM

One Too Many
As long as it proportional for your height I think they still work well.

In most instances, jackets are bought off the rack and therefore can be too long for shorter guys and cause the issue of making the wearer look shorter but if you are getting one made just have its length adjusted for your height and you should be golden....

yes, it is good to mention, I always trim an inch off the back length and sleeves from my Aero's. I can imagine that if someone is short and really bulky then he must order a big size to accommodate his chest and shorten the back quite a lot - there I see the danger that the jacket would look out of proportions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner