Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Allan Quatermain Hat Thread - Where oh where

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
BellyTank said:
Look at some of those thick brimmed Gurkha hats- those brims that are almost 1/4 inch is actually 2 layers of felt- have a look.
BT.

True, they were two layers of felt and from the looks of it not the same hat as the Aussie slouch hat or "Digger". I saw some of those double brimmed hats in store a few years back though never thought much of it until I noticed that in some movies where you see safaris taking place the adventurers wore the odd two brimmed hats.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep, it looks like a contemporary Australian or NZ hat might suit- the Gurkha ones are kind of a nice shape but very thick. The Aus ones have the pugaree too.

This one-
http://www.qcmilitaria.com/drums/aushats.jpg

This one's looking good> http://www.lawranceordnance.com/new/images/hats/current-issue-puggaree.jpg

...here's the page>
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/new/hats-akubra.html

one of these would be a good choice- maybe just re-block or bash to your own design spec.

...maybe I already posted these...
Anyway, I've looked into something that I'd been meaning to.

BT.

Ken

A-List Customer
You need to see the one Halliburton/Paul Denton has! I cant find a picture of it but its awesome!

ken

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Actually, it is the classic movie jungle/safari/white-huter hat of that period. Modern so-called safari hats never looked right to me. Then I realised that all the old movie hats I had seen had either a light colored pleated, or an exotic animal fur hat band. My old Stetson Safari from Eddie Baurer (bought about 1980) had the pleated band (wish I could get a new one like it). All the new ones seem to have narrow leather hat bands, and of course the felt is crap. The Aussie Digger hat Bellytank mentions is different in that the dip of the puggeri is in the front, all the movie hats I have seen have it at the side. I keep thinking that the British had a jungle hat like that but have not been able to find a photo.

I just bought a new old stock cowboy hat (halfway decent felt) and had the brim cut down to 3-1/4 inchs (may have another 1/8th taken off) and reformed into a flat snap. It is now a 5-inch pinch crown 30's looking hat. I just put a khaki pleated band on it. That band (made in Taiwan) was crap poorly folded, hot glued together, and evendently made by a poorly trained monkey. I redid it and at least he pleats are now fairly even. However it is only three pleats and looks too dressy to look like the ones in the movies, seven pleats would be better but you may have to make your own to get it (if anyone knows a source I wish they would share it).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...thanks for that clarification- it was my intention to illustrate that.

Pictures Gandydancer!!!, pictures!!!

...let's see it.

I think we have established so far that the Gurkha style is thick and heavy- or double/double brim and has a Pugaree- The 'British' and commonwealth ones(non-Gurkha) are mostly single layer slouch hats- floppier, some (Aust.) with Pug.. The 'British' style Safari/Hunter could be viewed as the 'Chindits' style as worn by Wingates Chindits in Burma in WW2- as seen on the central figure in the 1st image of post 7, above.

This is still fun!

BT.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
...thanks for that clarification- it was my intention to illustrate that.

Pictures Gandydancer!!!, pictures!!!

...let's see it.

I think we have established so far that the Gurkha style is thick and heavy- or double/double brim and has a Pugaree- The 'British' and commonwealth ones(non-Gurkha) are mostly single layer slouch hats- floppier, some (Aust.) with Pug.. The 'British' style Safari/Hunter could be viewed as the 'Chindits' style as worn by Wingates Chindits in Burma in WW2- as seen on the central figure in the 1st image of post 7, above.

This is still fun!

BT.

Yes, the guy in the background in the bottom Chindit photo you posted seems to be wearing a hat similar to the jungle hat I was talking about. However, the movie still MDFrench posted looks like one of those Ghurka hats, indeed.

Not having a digital camera it will take a few days to get a photo of my hat up. However remember I am trying for something similar the white hunter hat of in those 30-40-50's movies not a specific hat style, and of course one that looks good on my big round faced head, modern hats usually don't.

This thread has taken off in a hurry hasn't it? As you say it's fun!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Listen to this then...

The hats are definitely of British Colonial origin with national peculiarities- Aus. NZ, India/Nepal/Gurkha- dating back to the turn of the 20thC and earlier. Remember the old pointed Pith helmets worn by the British in India and Africa in the Zulu and Boer wars. They had a Pugaree too- then we get the felt hat- an educated guess would be that the 'felt hat' is a less formal, more functional piece of headwear stemming from the use of floppy felt hats in early Australia and NZ and other Commonwealth territories....or possibly Canada/N.America and the ranching, western world of headwear...

Here's some interesting sales descriptions of 'double' hats>

***10th Gurkha Rifles Brimmed Hat, double thickness of fine khaki fur felt, w/ tan pagri, size 6 5/8, new condition, has Hunting Stewart tartan flash and badge on left side, lacks chin strap, $85.00

***British WW II Jungle Hat, double thickness of khaki felt, 1942 dated, leather chin strap, left side of brim snaps up, tan pagri w/ dk green top fold, w/ locally made cloth badge of green Maltese cross on khaki serge (Wiltshires?), size 6 7/8. These have gotten very scarce, even rare, especially in excellent condition with an original badge, $200.00

***NZ “Lemon Squeezer� Hat, post WW II, fine quality khaki fur, infantry pagri band w/ K/C General Svc badge, 6 5/8, $100.00

..more later... gotta do something in the real world.

BT.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Wild Boers!

b07.jpg

...that's them, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly ones.
Check the Swashbuckler, third from the right.
Hey, nice Mortar!

BT.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey! Here's that photo of our pal Halliburton! This is his Indygear Club Obi-Wan avatar!

HalliburtonHuntingTripIIIbwcu.jpg

I Pmed him and he told me that it's a old photo and that he's been searching for a hat like that to replace the one in the photo for years and cannot find one suitable.

He told me that it was a Gurkha hat. He said he bought it years ago at, get this of all things, a Banana Republic back when they actually sold outdoors/safari clothes.

Crazy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic