Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Allan Quatermain Hat Thread - Where oh where

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Here is a series from later on showing the hat, yet oddly it looks more new than the previous scenes! In this scene, the hat must have been very new because it looks like a Gurkha-Aussie slouch hybrid or something. Check out that double brim! Also note that the wrap is cinched off center to the front. Judging by the brim's wild flaring, I'd say he's wearing it on a turn in this scene. Is this not the most bada$$ hat?!
quaterhat4.JPG

Mycroft

One Too Many
MDFrench said:
Here is a series from later on showing the hat, yet oddly it looks more new than the previous scenes! In this scene, the hat must have been very new because it looks like a Gurkha-Aussie slouch hybrid or something. Check out that double brim! Also note that the wrap is cinched off center to the front. Judging by the brim's wild flaring, I'd say he's wearing it on a turn in this scene. Is this not the most bada$$ hat?!
quaterhat4.JPG

The crown on this one is more shaped then the last which was more boxy. And I guess you noticed the double brim too, what is the point of it?

MDFrench

A-List Customer
This final duo of pics is from IN BETWEEN the first shots and the "new" shots. Interestingly, the hat in this shot looks like a more weathered version of the "new" one and a slightly less weathered version of the hat in the first photos. Awesome the way it just melted into a rough and tumble safari lid. Also note that now the wrap is cinched in the center front as opposed to off center. It must be a hat so soft that you can slap it on off center and never know it!
quaterhat3.JPG

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
OK, here's one for you jungle hat afficianados: I recall, when I was a child, seeing Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly in Mogambo, which was a remake of an early 30's film, Red Dust. Gable played the same role twice.

Here is an ebay shot that shows him in his tropical hat, and it looks like Ava has one, too. (Grace Kelly and the guy who played her spouse both sported pith helmuts, I believe).

http://www.cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=309&item=6310575557&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

What are these hats? Ava's looks a little more jungle-ish than Gables. Was his straw? Does anyone remember?

karol

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hard to tell - could be straw or could be a felt like that dude's hat on the new History Channel show "Digging For the Truth." Check that out at www.historychannel.com.

Until then, the mystery of the Stewart Granger double-brim safari hat continues! Old-Hat, you're danged right it's an intriguing hat! But I'm not content with that, by golly! I must find the truth!

By the way - just spoke with Michaelson who informed me that the double brim on the hat was "simply for better waterproofing with the double felt, as well as a better insulator against heat, as there was supposedly more air circulation between the two felts. This was what Ron of HatsDirect told me years ago."

Straight from Michaelson!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Granger was cool, Gable was charming, Ava was sexy, Cedric was wearing what looked like a modified cowboy hat (I like the gal's hat better) but nothing can beat Sean Connery. Nothing....

karol

MDFrench

A-List Customer
The problem with Connery wasn't Connery - it was the story around him. Man, if they'd done Connery as Quatermain in a real jungle/safari story it'd been awesome. Connery doesn't "place" in my list because the story isn't an H Rider Haggard tale - it's a pulp fiction hybrid thing.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am aware of that. Gable played a plantation owner or something in Mogambo. And I think the Connery movie got bad reviews did it not? (isn't that the one where he unites a group of famous people).

I am just looking at jungle hats and trying to see which ones come close to the Quatermain hat worn by Granger.

But Connery -- what a nice looking hat on a wonderful looking man.

karol

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Old-Hat,

They explain why Swayze is carrying the Winchester, because after an initial elephant hunt, in which he is packing major firepower, he is asked by the female lead to help her find her father. So, he treks off with a man killer rather than an elephant killer. Right tools for the right job, so to speak.

As for Chamberlain, I second your sentiments - what a trash film - oh, and here's a better pic of the most bobo looking safari lid EVER.
1985ksm4.JPG

gandydancer

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
...thanks for that clarification- it was my intention to illustrate that.

Pictures Gandydancer!!!, pictures!!!

...let's see it.

BT.

Well here goes. Note that the hatband as I mentioned is too dressy for a safari hat. It will need a wider band with more pleats. It is still a work in progress.

CONVERTED COWBOY HAT
BRAND: Beaver Hats
COLOR: Kangaroo (taupe)
STYLE: 8290
Genuine Fur Felt XXXXX
Leather Sweat
3-1/2 inch brim
5 inch C-crown

Brim reduced 3/8 inch all around, and converted to a flat snapdown in front.
Pinch Narrowed and made longer vertically.
Hatband changed from braided leather to the ones shown.

http://meanderings.graywolfphoto.com/_images/hat-side.jpg
Side view with pleated khaki hatband

http://meanderings.graywolfphoto.com/_images/hat-front.jpg
Front view, same.

http://meanderings.graywolfphoto.com/_images/hat-angle.jpg
Three quarter view, same.

http://meanderings.graywolfphoto.com/_images/hat-alt-band.jpg
Three quarter view, with hatband from cheap straw hat. Notice how much better made it is.

http://meanderings.graywolfphoto.com/_images/hat-crown-1.jpg
View of crown as it came.

http://meanderings.graywolfphoto.com/_images/hat-crown-2.jpg
View of crown, dished as I prefer it. This is only possible because of the high crown.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
MDFrench said:
OK, guys - When I get home this afternoon, I am going to grab more screens from King Solomon's Mines which show the hat on profile with the "underbrim" flapping around and basically more detail in general -

Until then - there's this page -

www.geocities.com/indyfrench/grangerhat

Cheers,
Mike

Hum... I wonder if that doubled hat was supposed to provide some airspace to relieve the heat?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think I have seen that hat Richard Chamberlain is wearing at the local Swapmeet, including the band.... Yech!

MD -- I think, looking at your avatar and face shape, that you might very well be able to pull off wearing the AQ hat. We folks with heavier faces would not look so good in it.

It is a great looking hat and I hope you find a hat that looks just like it.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn