Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving

Mary

Practically Family
LizzieMaine. That's very interesting. I love history. I've found a few ads in old magazines from the thirties but not for shavers but for liquid hair removals. I should try to find some papers from the 1910's to see if it was the same in Sweden/Europe. I go to libraries and look them up.

I have seem quite a few photos of women with hairy armpits from the English aristocracy in the 20's so I think you where earlier in the US.

Cherrylips. I think it's a myth that hair grows thinker when shaven. What do you ladies think? Do you find it so?

M

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
yes I'v read it's a myth too. The example that I read was the hair is thicker at the base and than gets thinner at the end of the shaft. When you shave it off and starts to grow back it's the thick stub that's growing out which makes you think that the hair became thicker,but as it get's longer it will thin out at the tip again. When I don't shave for a period of time, it looks the same as it did before I ever started shaving. However I do know a couple of women who swear that shaving caused there hair to grow back more, so I don't know [huh]

I use the venus shaver and like it alot. When I run out of shaving cream I either use body wash or conditioner whick works pretty cool. I once got this shaving cream from a naughty girl party that was meant for the bikkini area.
This stuff https://xsandoslingerie.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=35. It left my legs the smoothest but kind of pricey though.

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
Another Venus user here... However, I use Primal Elements soap to shave it off. Cleanest rinse I've ever gotten, and it gets the hairs nice and short.
And for all us animal rights ladies, the products are cruelty free.

http://primalelements.com/

Smuterella

One Too Many
Mojito said:
Best ever after-product: Ingro-go. No bumps ever. If you forget to put it on and do get any form of roughness or rash, it magics it away.

its great stuff, packed full of salicylic (sp?) acid which works to both sooth the redness (its basically a painkiller) and the acid breaks down the skin over ingrown hairs. you can also use it on spots.

its like a much stronger version of clinique clarifying lotion

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
I think it's a myth that hair grows thinker when shaven. What do you ladies think? Do you find it so?

Rockapin-up, that's a great explanation for why it seems as though hair is growing back thicker. I agree it's a myth--although like you, I've met a few women who swear it's true.

I used to not shave my underarms much--I'm not too hairy, anyway, and my boyfriend likes the naturalness. Now that I'm over 40, though, I keep up with it. When you're younger, you can be all bohemian-like and get a pass. Once you're older, not so much. Or at least it seems that way to me. Disposable razor and Cetaphil, and I'm good to go.

Mary

Practically Family
Here's a picture of the lady I spoke of.

It's from 1930 in Paris. You see she has make-up and perfect hair so it's not like she doesn't care about her apperance. It's maybe unusual to the eyes but I think it looks nice.

Mary

Practically Family
Forgot myself and posted a picture from a book. It's getting erased soon.

It's of a posh woman in a swimmingpool in a lido drinking champange and enjoying herself.

Sunny

One Too Many
Mojito said:
I use an epilator on the legs. First time I ever used one (years ago) it hurt so much putting on my stockings the next day was agony. Now I don't really feel it unless I'm going over the knees or delicate skin.

Best ever after-product: Ingro-go. No bumps ever. If you forget to put it on and do get any form of roughness or rash, it magics it away.
Yay, I'm not the only one! The main reason I hated shaving was because of the feel of the stubble. I hate it! And I'm impatient and don't like taking the time to shave so very often anyway. The really nice thing with the epilator is that when hair grows back, they're new and soft, even if still dark. There aren't any thick, chopped-off stubble ends to be prickly.

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
I think i'm the only person i know that can only shave once a month and i can hardly see the hair, and i never break out in bumps even though i have sensitive skin. Although i wish that was the case for the underarms.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I shave daily - can't stand the feel of stubble! After years of trying different products, my staple is plain old disposable pink Bic double blade razors (or the Target knockoff), and either Barbasol or Colgate shave cream for sensitive skin. My husband shaves with vintage 40s and 50s razors and shave soap, but when it comes to shaving I'll just have to stick with what works for me, which is my modern disposable stuff!

dani

Familiar Face
i use the quatro(i have no idea if that is spelled right), and i used to use the one with the soap around it, they both work really great, as for shave gel, use body wash, or hair conditioner, condition leaves your legs really soft, and it also works great when shaving your bikinii area, better then the shave gels for that area i think. but today i had to use a disposable, and my legs look butchered, but at least they are not hairy any more.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Men's disposable razors all the way!! They tend to be a bit cheaper as well. I've been using Johnson's Baby Shampoo as shave gel and it makes just enough lather and I don't feel like I'm shaving off skin (which is what the Dove stuff kinda felt like). I'm also a huge huge advocate of cocoa butter to make sure I'm not all scaly.
Razors: $5 for enormous package at Sam's Club twice a year
Baby Shampoo: $2-$3
Cocoa Butter: $1

:) pretty much the cheapest routine ever!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I also use a Schick Quattro, mostly because I like the long handle. I read somewhere that drying the blade would keep it sharp longer, so I usually blast my hairdryer at it while I'm drying my hair. It works, and happily I don't have to change the blade nearly so often now.

My favorite shaving cream is Kiss My Face Moisture Shave. It doesn't foam up like aerosol shaving cream--it's more like a lotion with a very low lather. The Lavender & Shea scent smells fantastic and leaves my skin feeling very soft.

300.jpg

One bottle lasts forever because it doesn't take that much to cover a large area of skin. I probably use a half a pump per underarm, two pumps per leg. It's just delightful stuff. I buy it online at drugstore.com, and I've also seen it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Midgetqueen

New in Town
I just bought and used an epilator last night for the first time (Legs and underarms). Painful, but not so much as I'd expected. But it took forever and didn't catch all the hair! What d'you do with the hair it leaves? Does it just take a few times' use to get it all at first? Do I just need to do it again for the next night or two (and then hopefully not need to bother with it for at least a week)? Or d'you have to shave or otherwise deal with those leftover bits?

The hair's sparse enough now that I feel OK with wearing a skirt so long as nobody's going to be touching my legs but me. But there's a difference between passably sparse and really smooth.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
I don't think this has been asked before..

but, if it has please point out the answer. When did shaving became normal for all women? Was it before the 1910s? I would really like to know this and also who came up with the idea? In my unknowledgeable opinion, it must have been a man,;) .
Sarah

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Midgetqueen said:
I just bought and used an epilator last night for the first time (Legs and underarms). Painful, but not so much as I'd expected. But it took forever and didn't catch all the hair! What d'you do with the hair it leaves? Does it just take a few times' use to get it all at first? Do I just need to do it again for the next night or two (and then hopefully not need to bother with it for at least a week)? Or d'you have to shave or otherwise deal with those leftover bits?

The hair's sparse enough now that I feel OK with wearing a skirt so long as nobody's going to be touching my legs but me. But there's a difference between passably sparse and really smooth.

I've always wanted to try this...
I would try it again...maybe...Keep me filled in, I wanna know if it works.
I wanna try it on my arms. I have way too much blonde hair on my arms and I'm tired of shaving it off.

kyda

One of the Regulars
My legs are waxed - they have even developed bald patches, after 12 years it is about time. I turned to waxing after I was bumped and ended up with a big gash on my leg. I am not brave enough to wax my underarms so it is a trusty venus for me.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I am ALSO a big FAN of the Kiss My Face shaving Lotion.. ohhhh that stuff is heavenly.. and good for the Env!

I have the vanilla one and it smells soo good int he shower and truly prevents from razor burn and cuts! I give it 10 thumbs up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner