Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving

jayem

A-List Customer
**Bump**

Just bought an Emjoi Epil. Hurt a bit, but decently worth it. Is it common not to get all the hair? I've never had an epilator before.

Other than that, I use these razors at the Dollar Tree. They work fine for me. Shaving creams, I use good ol' Barbasol.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I use a Phillips Satinelle epilator (everywhere) and I do it once a week. I do notice a few hairs by the end of the week, but they are so sparse and fine now that you can't tell if you aren't looking closely. I'd never be a regular razor user again, but I do take a razor on holiday because I prefer to be completely smooth legs/underarms/you know where if I'm in a swimsuit / tank / leg exposing clothes.

I really want to try epilation. Two questions though:
1. Will it hurt so much that I cry and never use the every expensive epilator again and...
2. Does it take a long time? Just to do the legs for example?

I use the Venus razor too. I found a couple of videos (I think it was on Expert Village or something), and their shaving expert recommended shaving with the grain of the hair e.g. shaving the legs in a downward motion, to avoid shaving rashes or nicks. It certainly stopped the bumps and ingrown hairs, but it never quite gets rid of all the hair. [huh]

And may I just add, as a natural blonde, I wish I'd never started shaving!

Mary

Practically Family
I don't shave. Maybe I would if I was into the glamourgirl look more.

I have shaved before but newer liked it. It itches and your hairs aren't as soft.

I don't know how it was in your countries in the forties but in Sweden there was quite a big healthcult. There was exerciseprograms in the radio and the ideal was a strong healty body and above all natural. The extreme was the nudist movement but I believe almost everyone wanted a natural look. Shaving your legs is kind of artificial but I don't know how many did and didn't then. Just a bit of a historic perspective.

M

lyburnum

Practically Family
I have incredibly sensitive skin and almost always came out with a rash when shaving in the past. I persisted though (I'm not sure I could survive without shaving?!) and have found that the combination of the quattro (the new aloe vera one is super duper nice) and gilette for women 'satin care' skin soothing shaving cream works wonders. Plus I've worked out that in some areas if I shave with the grain instead of against it, I can avoid rashes in my most rash prone areas (such as the inside of my thigh). If I get dry skin I put E45 on my legs, nothing with any scent in it, as that drives my skin crazy.

There's something really nice about freshly shaved skin on freshly washed sheets. I love the feeling of my skin right after shaving.

With the silky mits, I did exactly the same thing Smutrella. My mum wouldn't let me shave when I wanted to at 11, and she bought me a silky mitt instead. But it was completely useless and I just rubbed my legs raw. :eusa_doh: In the end I started shaving secretly instead and by 12 she'd given up trying to stop me lol

I tried hair removal creams, and those just gave me a rash. Even the sensitive skin ones. And waxing was far too much maintenance for me, plus I hated having to grow the hair back before I could strip it off again. Seemed kind of pointless.

Candied violets

New in Town
I use a Venus and Burt's Bees Bay Rum Shaving Soap. I just always envied men their badger's hair brushes and shaving mugs so I figured I'd buy one for myself. The soap's lasted for several years so far but then again I don't shave all that often, especially in the winter. It works well and still makes me smile.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
nyx said:
OK. Normally I wouldn't mention it, but since there is a whole thread devoted to it, I have to thank God I'm Asian. I shave my legs about once a year (when summer starts), and I've never had to shave my underarms. For that reason, I just use disposables, because the razor gets rusty long before I need it again. I didn't know what a bikini line was until I was 16. I thought it was a tan line. :D

Sorry to rub it in, but it's the one good thing I've gotten out of this deal. It's a trade off, I guess for the world's most oily, acne-prone skin. lol

Oh my godness!!! Once a year??? Holy crap, I'm Asian too but I have to shave every few days in the summer and I have the crap skin to top it off. Well, it's literally been a month since my last shave but that's because there is no boyfriend in the picture lol . I've been using a men's Mach3 razor since 1999 and couldn't be happier. It seems all the razors for girls have so much "protection" (extra skin soothers, wires over the blades, etc.) that they lose effectiveness. And I use generic Walgreens brand shave cream (generic for Skintimites I think). But in a pinch have used conditioner and even Cetaphil face wash.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
When did women start shaving?

Hello gang!

This may be a bit of a sidetrack, but I can't help but be curious about when women started shaving. I have no idea, but my guess is it might have been in the 20's when they started showing their legs. When did feminine hair become labeled as unattractive? I know there's endless knowledge in the Lounge so I'm hoping for an answer.

CassD

One of the Regulars
cherry lips said:
Hello gang!

This may be a bit of a sidetrack, but I can't help but be curious about when women started shaving. I have no idea, but my guess is it might have been in the 20's when they started showing their legs. When did feminine hair become labeled as unattractive? I know there's endless knowledge in the Lounge so I'm hoping for an answer.

I just found a website on the historical timeline of shaving. I don't know how acurate it is, but according to that website, women were using creams containing crazy stuff like arsenic all the way back in 4000-3000 BC to remove hair. It also mentions that it was through advertising that under-arm hair was unattractive and unhygenic durring WWI that woman started to shave both their underarms and legs. Having a history degree, I'm inclined to be a little leary of believing what the site says as they don't cite any sources, but thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone can confirm it.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I'm a big fan of the Mach 3 as it's a mens' razor and built for cutting tougher hair than women tend to grow, so it tends to last much longer. I shave about once a week and I have a strange ritual about it. Lather up w/ hair conditioner in the shower and then turn off the water. Open the curtain and I break out in goosebumps. While I'm standing there shivering, I quickly shave. I've found that the hair folicles standing on end gets you a shave that's really close, but also takes longer to grow back. TA-DA!

And then tons of Benefit Betina lotion: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P5473

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I have no idea how to use the Silkymit properly, it just makes my skin hurt. :eusa_doh: I tried an epilator, but it feels like I'm getting an electric shock every time it touches my skin.

So now I just shave my legs using hair conditioner. I use one from Urtekram that just consists of glycerine and essential oils and stuff like that, sometimes I use the tea tree one, sometimes the aloe vera one. I shave a couple of times a week.

I wax my bikini area though, if I shave it I get a rash. I don't do it on a regular basis, just when I get to it. Normally, I'd have to do it maybe every three weeks or so.

Mary

Practically Family
CassD. That's interesting! I have personally never thought of shaving my underarms. I'll have to take a look at that page even thought it doesn't seem to be as trustworty.

I looked trough some old magazines from the 30's and 40's to see if I could find some ads for shaving products but couldn't find it. Will keep on looking tough.

The bikini wax or shaving seems kind of old to. I saw some pictures of the first bikini and I couldn't spot any hair.

But do you think ererybody did it as often or only to special accations? let say when they should show their legs and armpits in a revealing dress. Do you think erery woman were shaving as much as the stars?

Most people weren't living as good as we do now but then again they were able to set their hair beautifully so what do I know.

Will continue to do a privite investigation in my old mags to find hair or hair absence! And if you know someone who lived in the 30's and 40's I'd love to hear what thay have to say on the subject.

M

MissHannah

One Too Many
Cherry_Bombb said:
I'm a big fan of the Mach 3 as it's a mens' razor and built for cutting tougher hair than women tend to grow, so it tends to last much longer. I shave about once a week and I have a strange ritual about it. Lather up w/ hair conditioner in the shower and then turn off the water. Open the curtain and I break out in goosebumps. While I'm standing there shivering, I quickly shave. I've found that the hair folicles standing on end gets you a shave that's really close, but also takes longer to grow back. TA-DA!

That's exactly why I CAN'T shave my legs in the shower - if I get goosebumps it cuts my legs to shreds! I've been using a men's Mach3 for a few years and it's pretty impressive. However, on a whim I bought a Wilkinson Sword Intuition the other day, which is a women's one, with 2 blades and this kind of bar of lubricant surrounding the top. I only bought it because it was on offer in Sainsbury's but I tried it out last night and it was super-good! I couldn't feel anything so I thought it wasn't working but it gave me a really nice close shave. I only did my pits - will have to report back on the legs. Definitely recommended though gals. http://www.wilkinsonsword.co.uk/women/showroom/intuition_plus

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Lady D, around the knees go slowly and try a razor that pivots.
I don't care what brand I use as long as it pivots.

I'm not picky about using soap or gel or whatever but I have to use lotion of somesort and anything without alcohol is best.
The coco butter works well for me too and it's cheap.

I love Bath and Body Works because I can't wear perfume. So I layer my favorite scent and use the body creme or body butter on my legs after I shave. I used Exotic Coconut untill they discontinued it and now I'm on a Cherry Blossom kick.

My daughter is 12 now and dying to shave her legs. I told her I would teach her this summer before she starts Junior High.
That's when my mom let me start.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cherry lips said:
Hello gang!

Depilatories and waxes for hair removal were being widely advertised by the mid-1910s -- Zip brand wax was marketed in very respectable publications as being a daintier alternative to "other methods of hair removal," stressing that "It's OFF because it's OUT."

Some of the depilatories being sold during this period were deadly poisons -- thallium acetate compounds being the worst. More than a few women died from the use of a thallium product called "Koremlu", and the backlash against such products may well have contributed to the increased popularity of shaving. The Curvfit women's razor was patented in 1916, and remained popular into the sixties.

Depilatories made a comeback in the thirties, minus the deadly poisons -- brands such as Neet, Nair, and Imra were widely advertised and sold.

Hair removal was viewed by most women of the Era as something you did, but didn't especially talk about. I know my grandmother shaved regularly, but she kept her utensils carefully hidden in the bottom of a bathroom cabinet. Some things were not proper for husbands and kids to know about.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me neither

MissHannah said:
That's exactly why I CAN'T shave my legs in the shower - if I get goosebumps it cuts my legs to shreds!
And if I don't bathe/shower in boiling hot water, I get the most awful prolonged itching on my legs (shaving or not). Anyone else? My sister is the only other person I know with this problem, maybe we're mutants.
The only thing that stops the itching is either more boiling hot water, or sometimes something with camphor like Listerine or Ben-Gay will do the trick, but not always.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your reply, LizzieMaine! I find beauty history quite fascinating.
My mother was born 1943 and had a sister that was about two years younger than her. Mom was a pale brunette and her sister was a natural blond. Mom started shaving her legs in her teens, but her sister never started to shave. My mother always complained that she shouldn't have started, as more and thicker hair grew out when she did. Her sister who never shaved didn't have much leg hair that showed.
I wonder how they came up with the idea in the 1910s? Why did they do it?
LizzieMaine said:
Depilatories and waxes for hair removal were being widely advertised by the mid-1910s -- Zip brand wax was marketed in very respectable publications as being a daintier alternative to "other methods of hair removal," stressing that "It's OFF because it's OUT."

Some of the depilatories being sold during this period were deadly poisons -- thallium acetate compounds being the worst. More than a few women died from the use of a thallium product called "Koremlu", and the backlash against such products may well have contributed to the increased popularity of shaving. The Curvfit women's razor was patented in 1916, and remained popular into the sixties.

Depilatories made a comeback in the thirties, minus the deadly poisons -- brands such as Neet, Nair, and Imra were widely advertised and sold.

Hair removal was viewed by most women of the Era as something you did, but didn't especially talk about. I know my grandmother shaved regularly, but she kept her utensils carefully hidden in the bottom of a bathroom cabinet. Some things were not proper for husbands and kids to know about.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Has anyone read the "Claudine" books by Colette? In the first one, "Claudine à l'école" the teenage girls all gossip about each other having hairy legs. This book came out in 1900.

Mojito

One Too Many
I use an epilator on the legs. First time I ever used one (years ago) it hurt so much putting on my stockings the next day was agony. Now I don't really feel it unless I'm going over the knees or delicate skin.

Best ever after-product: Ingro-go. No bumps ever. If you forget to put it on and do get any form of roughness or rash, it magics it away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot