Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BEST shoe color !

PenMan

Familiar Face
By the way, what about chili as an all-purpose color? I have seen it worn with blue, brown and black suits. The last of those surprised me. It was worn by a guy addressing a group of lawyers in Charlotte, NC. I made a disparaging, tongue in cheek comment. He didn't back down at all, saying something about how good it looked. He was right, too. I suppose it has a limit to how formal it can go, but then oxblood does as well.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Oxblood Belts

PenMan said:
6 or 7 months ago I won a pair of Allen Edmonds Stockbridge in oxblood on Ebay. They came to, if I remember correctly, $29.95 plus postage for a new pair. That more or less completes the set for me, since I now have the Stockbridge in oxblood and chili, and have their leather-soled variant in black (a terrific shoe).

I always liked cordovan, oxblood, burgundy--or whatever you want to call it. I thought, though, that it was very much out of style. I don't care all that much, but it raised a problem for me: what belt do you wear with it? I can't find a matching one, so I have been wearing a dark brown belt that looks only ok. Also, I can't find a matching watch band, so wear a metal rather than leather one with them. Any advice on what to do about the belt?

This is a big problem but a reddish brown can suffice...sought of...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
What color belt, eh?

IMO, you should try to find a leather belt that really is an oxblood/cordovan color. Better-end thrift stores (American Cancer Society, Children's Hospital, Jewish Community, etc.) almost always have good quality cordovan belts available: used but not abused. It takes some searching to find the right size, but you should be able to come across one sooner than later.

PenMan

Familiar Face
Sydney is not, in my experience, very good for second hand clothes. This is most likely because it is not good for first hand clothes. I buy most things from Ebay US, with the occasional foray into the European market. That sometimes makes shipping expensive.

Another question for another thread: how do you care for a leather belt? You can't really polish it, so what is the best way to look after it.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Well, whenever the leather wears away on my old black flats, I color it in with a Sharpie.... does that count? lol

Just kidding, now on to your serious polish/color discussion... ;)

PenMan

Familiar Face
I ask because what I thought was my best black belt--thick, high quality leather--has lost its sheen and become VERY sticky. Somehow the tanning has leached out of the leather or something, and I don't know what to do to restore/repair it, or how to prevent the same thing happening to my other belts.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PenMan said:
I ask because what I thought was my best black belt--thick, high quality leather--has lost its sheen and become VERY sticky. Somehow the tanning has leached out of the leather or something, and I don't know what to do to restore/repair it, or how to prevent the same thing happening to my other belts.

Sticky? Icky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR