Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

azhiker

One of the Regulars
My first real fedora was a black Biltmore Ark, from Hats-Plus in Chicago. I was looking for 'one hat' for all porposes, but mostly to go with navy , black suit, or tweed wool/silk sports jacket. The salesman told me my best bet was black, and I love this hat! I have since added a dark oak 'Giorgio Cellni' Edition 'Astair' (Biltmore) from Henry the Hatter here in Detroit. It is not as formal, and I wear it most of the time. That being said, I'm going to London on bussiness Friday, and I'm still undesided as what hat to pack. Oh BTW, I only want to take one hat, as there is a good chance one will find it's way back with me!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just picked up this Barbiso for a song.

DSC05397.jpg

DSC05398.jpg

DSC05400.jpg

DSC05401.jpg

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Some black hats from the 30's and 40's

I love black hats but I seldom wear one! I think they can appear overly formal and have connotations of emo/grungy fashions nowadays (unfortunately).

Here are some real oldies for you...

Battersby c.1930's
battersby_profile.jpg

Lincoln Bennett c.1940's
lincolnb.jpg

G.A. Dunn & Co. c.1930's (Actually very dark Navy!)
Dunn1.jpg

"Finest Quality Velour" c.1930's
velour.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've recently added a black to my stable, a Manhattan fedora with a 5" crown, wide ribbon, and 2 3/8" brim. The eBay seller told me it was from the '50s, and with a price tag of $7.50, I can well believe it. I hope to have pics soon. (Posting here isn't as much fun unless you post shots of your hats.)

Anyhow, it fits well with a little padding under the sweatband, and after a brushing and brim shaping, it's a sharp lid -- it looks like the one of Bogart in white tie posted above. I'm going to call it my "Roy Earle" hat!

Neophyte

The gallery/exhibition thread here for black hats is called "The Black Hat Brigade." You should post up your pics and impressions there. Congrats on the new black beaty, BTW!

Levallois

Practically Family
I just bought this black Stetson - I don't have it yet. Thanks to a FL member this one is dated to approx. 1930-1935. I am kind of excited about it.

BlackHat.jpg

BlackHat3.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm rather annoyed by the place I bought it from (Thrift Store in the UK). No appreciation for vintage hats or many other items for that matter. They punctured the lining with the plastic price tag!! They had a beautiful homburg too from the same era (I'd imagine from the same Estate), but they had punctured right through the velvet with the damned plastic price tagger!!! So many great shirts I've had to just leave because they do the same thing (some indescriminate neandrathol trigger happy price tagger!!).

Neophyte

I'm heavily considering a black hat for my next western. It will most likely be a telescope crown with a curl all the way around, with a contrasting ribbon, although I'm also considering an Old West style derby or homburg.

I really like the effect of a black hat with a camel ribbon, like the color scheme of Jaxonbilts "Elko #2". There's also the classic combination of black with a mid-to-light grey.

While I'm gathering the funds, I'll be doing some research into what contrasting colors seem to intensify or mute the intensity of the black color. As this will be a casual hat, I don't want it to be too dark.

Last edited:

danofarlington

I'm rather annoyed by the place I bought it from (Thrift Store in the UK). No appreciation for vintage hats or many other items for that matter. They punctured the lining with the plastic price tag!! They had a beautiful homburg too from the same era (I'd imagine from the same Estate), but they had punctured right through the velvet with the damned plastic price tagger!!! So many great shirts I've had to just leave because they do the same thing (some indescriminate neandrathol trigger happy price tagger!!).

The employer of last resort there, perhaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo