Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Haven't posted one today, but there's still time. I'll post this one in the homburg nation thread as well. This was one of the finest hats I have owned and I hated to let it go, but it was way too big for me. A Borsalino homburg/lobbia, unlined, stellar felt and beautiful finishing (the damage to the brim binding was minimal and didn't bother me). Brim measured 6cm and the crown 11 cm at the pinch.
Late forties to early fifties I believe. From the shop of Jan Spoorenberg in Eindhoven, which was reopened in after the war in 1948 on this address. Jan Spoorenberg is the same Spoorenberg that produced silk top hats in his own factory in Eindhoven.

borsalino homburg grey 59_1.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_2.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_3.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_4.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_5.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_7.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_8.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_9.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Haven't posted one today, but there's still time. I'll post this one in the homburg nation thread as well. This was one of the finest hats I have owned and I hated to let it go, but it was way too big for me. A Borsalino homburg/lobbia, unlined, stellar felt and beautiful finishing (the damage to the brim binding was minimal and didn't bother me). Brim measured 6cm and the crown 11 cm at the pinch.
Late forties to early fifties I believe. From the shop of Jan Spoorenberg in Eindhoven, which was reopened in after the war in 1948 on this address. Jan Spoorenberg is the same Spoorenberg that produced silk top hats in his own factory in Eindhoven.

This is the right (quite) size for me.
I arrive in late. Accidenti!
I like it very much and I really miss it even if it is never on my head
We can always start a trade exchange in sizes ;)

Borsalino "Angora"
Loving this long haired beauty

1f0766ea8b85a6656d89a4fddd24a1b0.jpg
Anthony this is a real gem!
If I remember well you have one I saw in pictures in size bigger then this
Angora is a very fine and rare wool, moslty used for women berets

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

Anthony this is a real gem!
If I remember well you have one I saw in pictures in size bigger then this
Angora is a very fine and rare wool, moslty used for women berets

Is the hat actually Angora or is that just the model?
I assumed it was rabbit fur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Is the hat actually Angora or is that just the model?
I assumed it was rabbit fur
Anthony is certain that within the furs mixture with which it was made the felt is also a part of angora wool.
I think, angora, it's one of the finest products to make felt for hats.
The Italian manufacturer of hats always used mixtures of different hairs to get the felt.
The rabbit or the hare are the base which was then enriched with other components, sometimes mixed with fine wool as merino angora or to obtain the felt by Borsalino called "Misto"
Remeber that the mixture of different furs was a standard when the colors for the felt were not chemicals, but natural, so the basic pitch was given by the color obtained from the mixtures and the most difficult to reproduce color was black

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Anthony is certain that within the furs mixture with which it was made the felt is also a part of angora wool.
I think, angora, it's one of the finest products to make felt for hats.
The Italian manufacturer of hats always used mixtures of different hairs to get the felt.
The rabbit or the hare are the base which was then enriched with other components, sometimes mixed with fine wool as merino angora or to obtain the felt by Borsalino called "Misto"
Remeber that the mixture of different furs was a standard when the colors for the felt were not chemicals, but natural, so the basic pitch was given by the color obtained from the mixtures and the most difficult to reproduce color was black
wonderful information my friend

thank you

I love this hat

Daniele, thank you. Now I know your size I'll keep my eyes open for vintage Borsalinos for you.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
After the ancient and luxury Borsalino introduced Sunday we enter the week of penance with an average Borsalino
205w0t3.jpg

The proportions are those of a hat of some forty years ago
2csgr4g.jpg

Felt is beautiful, medium gray with black band, very seen in the production Borsalino
i3c2nt.jpg

The hat appears to have been produced in a period of "new managment" in Borsalino
jto40h.jpg

The brims are at 5 cm. and the crown is 10.5 cm low point
1ze9jps.jpg

The finish is great for this medium hat sold in one of the most prestigious shops, flagship, in Milan
21brvbb.jpg

The lining is in a rich blue with gold inscription
2vaavdc.jpg

Here the paper label for the age presumption

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This Borsalino is branded G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro, but obviously it is a hat made in the 70's with a felt cone or with a hat which has the old label paper was torn
152n9di.jpg

It is a "San Remo" sold outside Italy because it has the US size label
a081o2.jpg

Color is "Dattero" and it seems made around the mid seventies
nn35i0.jpg

Very excellent finish with wind cord
1236u0m.jpg

The lining was sewn, therefore, belongs to the old production of Borsalino, but understand why it is branded with a mark died forty years ago is hard to say
1zdojm1.jpg

Proportions are: brim at 5 cm. and crown, low point is 12 cm.
i2j9c6.jpg

Very impressive lining with the G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro brand in golden and blue
dwuu79.jpg

San Remo in gold embossed on the sweatband
15x8g3n.jpg

This is the second hat showed that was part of my last find from a Milan collector P.D.

This Borsalino is branded G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro, but obviously it is a hat made in the 70's with a felt cone or with a hat which has the old label paper was torn
152n9di.jpg

It is a "San Remo" sold outside Italy because it has the US size label
a081o2.jpg

Color is "Dattero" and it seems made around the mid seventies
nn35i0.jpg

Very excellent finish with wind cord
1236u0m.jpg

The lining was sewn, therefore, belongs to the old production of Borsalino, but understand why it is branded with a mark died forty years ago is hard to say
1zdojm1.jpg

Proportions are: brim at 5 cm. and crown, low point is 12 cm.
i2j9c6.jpg

Very impressive lining with the G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro brand in golden and blue
dwuu79.jpg

San Remo in gold embossed on the sweatband
15x8g3n.jpg

This is the second hat showed that was part of my last find from a Milan collector P.D.
This Borsalino is a cool example of the 70s era styling. Love the color and that G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro logo would have me taking it off many times a day just to gaze at it. Nice, slim brims are also cool, embrace the stingy!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Angora can be from rabbit as well as goat - perhaps more likely the rabbit in this case?

Angora-Rabbit.jpg

or perhaps just a descriptor for the softness of finish (as opposed to cuteness).
to clarify ... I meant that I figured the hat was mostly rabbit fur (not an actual angora rabbit) and that "Angora" was just a name for the model or finish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner