Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The bow on the back of sweatbands

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
Do the little bows sewn on the back of sweatbands inside hats have a special name? I never know what to call them and I always wondered what their purpose was and who started using them. Has this been covered on the Fedora Lounge already? If so, please post some links as my search didn't bring up anything.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Special name I'm not sure. On older hats, they were used to aid in the sizing of a hat, commonly seen on derbys, but a feature seen on some soft hats as well. After the early 1900s, manufactures began using them for display, and after some time it just became the bow we commonly see nowdays.

my c.1915 Stetson "The Event" has the size adjustment feature, though at some point during the past 102 years it was snapped.
eda7fc2e936c29cf0a265ec2ae9f2fdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
Special name I'm not sure. On older hats, they were used to aid in the sizing of a hat, commonly seen on derbys, but a feature seen on some soft hats as well. After the early 1900s, manufactures began using them for display, and after some time it just became the bow we commonly see nowdays.

I've never seen that string through a sweatband like that before that's an amazing picture!
By sizing you mean that you could adjust the tightness of the sweatband? How much of a difference in size could you get from that? 1/8 or 1/4 inch?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen that string through a sweatband like that before that's an amazing picture!
By sizing you mean that you could adjust the tightness of the sweatband? How much of a difference in size could you get from that? 1/8 or 1/4 inch?
Honestly, I'm not too sure on how much it adjusted. I'll search around and see if i can find more info or photos for you

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
I received a little hat history today while visiting with Chandler at Tatton Baird . He explained that back in the very early days when mercury and other hazardous materials were used, a small cloth tag that resembled a skull and cross bones was stitched there to warn people that wearing this hat could cause health issues. A warning much like on cigarettes today. Over the years as those hazardous materials were phased out the hatters started using x crossed ribbons in their place as a decorative trim that evolved into today's x crossed bows. Kind of a Ripleys Believe it or Not moment?. Great story! ;)

I received a little hat history today while visiting with Chandler at Tatton Baird . He explained that back in the very early days when mercury and other hazardous materials were used, a small cloth tag that resembled a skull and cross bones was stitched there to warn people that wearing this hat could cause health issues. A warning much like on cigarettes today. Over the years as those hazardous materials were phased out the hatters started using x crossed ribbons in their place as a decorative trim that evolved into today's x crossed bows. Kind of a Ripleys Believe it or Not moment?. Great story! ;)
Interesting. My wife & I have a small collection of early handblown glass apathacary bottles labeled either "Poison" or with the skull & crossbones in the glass. Most are a colbalt Blue to preserve the potency from the light.

Good story, but I have seen really old hats where the bow was meant to be tied after adjusting the sweatband to the proper fit. These functional bows left mainstream usage a very long time ago. Maybe a case of convergent evolution?

Were you able to convince Chandler to develop his website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy