Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Me love me cap!

OK, here's another dopey picture of myself. This time I'm sitting in the front seat of my girlfriend's dad's '46 Lincoln, pretending that the car is capable of moving (something it hasn't done in about 30 years, sadly.) Note the red plastic driver's wheel, a hallmark of 40's Lincolns. I'm wearing the Jonathan Richard Donegal Tweed cap that I picked up at Bencraft Hatters last May. I had worn it several times before I realized it's only six panels instead of the usual eight. Not to worry. It's warm and comfortable and I get LOTS of compliments on it. But it doesn't prevent me from looking silly when the occasion rerquires it.
Capedited.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
OK, here's another dopey picture of myself. This time I'm sitting in the front seat of my girlfriend's dad's '46 Lincoln, pretending that the car is capable of moving (something it hasn't done in about 30 years, sadly.) Note the red plastic driver's wheel, a hallmark of 40's Lincolns. I'm wearing the Jonathan Richard Donegal Tweed cap that I picked up at Bencraft Hatters last May. I had worn it several times before I realized it's only six panels instead of the usual eight. Not to worry. It's warm and comfortable and I get LOTS of compliments on it. But it doesn't prevent me from looking silly when the occasion rerquires it.
Capedited.jpg

Actually, that's a very nice picture. It would be a good new avatar for you. Seriously. :( (See, no smile)

You might want to wash the car though. :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My new avatar will be me in my full bird Navy Captain's uniform in my role in Caine Mutiny. I have to get a hair cut first. But thanks for the suggestion. GF's D is thinking about having the Lincoln, which he bought in 1956, restored. But as I've told him, if he puts $30,000 into it, he'll have a nice $20,000 car. If he puts $20,000 into it, he'll have a nice $13,000 car. [huh]
It was supposedly used in the wedding of a Ford son in 1948 to the Firestone Tire heiress. Tres cool car. V-12. They think the engine block is cracked, or something. Modern drive train is an option, but the V-12 is part of the car's character. What can I tell you? So it sits.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
Capedited.jpg

Great picture. Since that hunk of steel is just sitting there taking up space, I'd be glad to come and take it off your hands.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing my newsboy over the weekend, it's growing on me now, even my wife has now decided she likes it, a distinct improvement, she vowed never to be seen out with me wearing it initially[bad]. I'm thinking now maybe I might invest in the brown herringbone from BWear.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
What's supposed to be "wrong" with a six panel cap?

They're certainly "historical".... My 1897 Sears catalog shows plenty of Golf caps, I think all of them are six panel (they are essentially the same as the large '30's ones, only slimmer and trimmer).

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fatdutchman said:
What's supposed to be "wrong" with a six panel cap?

They're certainly "historical".... My 1897 Sears catalog shows plenty of Golf caps, I think all of them are six panel (they are essentially the same as the large '30's ones, only slimmer and trimmer).

Nothing is wrong with a 6 panel cap.

dean

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Nigel said:
...even my wife has now decided she likes it, a distinct improvement, she vowed never to be seen out with me wearing it initially[bad]...

My wife had the same initial reaction to my caps. I think that she'll come around, though it may take awhile. I think that she'll get used to them quicker than my fedoras though (I hope).

Actually, I have been making some observations when I wear hats and caps. I've noticed that I get fewer "lingering looks" when I wear caps compared to a fedora. Does anyone else notice this?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SinatraStyle said:
My wife had the same initial reaction to my caps. I think that she'll come around, though it may take awhile. I think that she'll get used to them quicker than my fedoras though (I hope).

Actually, I have been making some observations when I wear hats and caps. I've noticed that I get fewer "lingering looks" when I wear caps compared to a fedora. Does anyone else notice this?

Yes. Which I don't mind. The number of compliments was higher as well. "Vanity, vanity! All is vanity!", saith the preacher"

dean

Camille

Familiar Face
SinatraStyle said:

Probably because the cap is generally considered more timeless than the fedore that nowadays is connected to gentlemen that's sort of out of style. It's old fashioned to wear something on your head, but a cap is more "OK" than a fedora.

I hate this, though! I like a man with a hat! I don't understand what your wifes have against caps? There's nothing more handsome than a man in a cap and a leatherjacket, I say. ;)

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I wouldn't say that she is against them, just not used to them. She understands that I'm a little (okay, more than a little) old fashioned. I think that it just catches her off guard when I wear things that are not currently considered "ordinary" by most people.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
SinatraStyle said:
I wouldn't say that she is against them, just not used to them. She understands that I'm a little (okay, more than a little) old fashioned. I think that it just catches her off guard when I wear things that are not currently considered "ordinary" by most people.

Are you sure you're not married to my wife;) , I wondered where she went to on a Thursday evening.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21