Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, yes, the sweat is still very supple, more so than many modern ones. It fits me at the moment, since I've shaved my head for summer. But it's normally a size too small. I probably won't wear it, to protect it.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
We had similar photos a few years ago in this thread, but I thought I'd present an update. The image on the left is from a Cavanagh ad in 1936 when they expanded beyond 247 Park Avenue into adjacent space on the entire corner of 47th Street. John Cavanagh, Ltd., occupied this spot on Park Avenue from November 1928 until the spring of 1964.

The photo on the right is from Google Streetview from last year.

1936-2012.jpg

These are two different buildings, as the old Cavanagh shop was in the 20-story Park Avenue annex of the Grand Central Palace (an exhibition hall turned office building) behind it towards Lexington Avenue. Both the Grand Central Palace and the annex were torn down in the spring of 1964, resulting in the construction of the new building seen here. The Cavanagh shop had to find temporary quarters until they opened their new store at 3 East 57th Street (at Fifth Avenue, where the Yves Saint Laurent is now, right next to the Louis Vuitton flagship store) on November 5, 1964. I don't know where their temporary location was. Hat Corporation of America also moved their NY headquarters to the same address, above the Cavanagh shop.

Brad

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking out for a Cavanagh for quite a while. I see them on eBay quite often, but they are usually with pretty narrow brims.

So I was pleased to find this one and to win it with my bid of $46.00. I wasn't sure what was going to arrive since the seller's photos were not the greatest, but I'm very pleased with the win.

5 3/4 crown, 2 1/2 brim are just right for me and the condition is just about perfect with really nice smooth dense felt and the classic Cav Edge. I've tried to capture the colour which is an olive/brown combo that changes a lot depending on the light.

Very happy to finally have a nice Cavanagh!

D316322-L.jpg

D316325-L.jpg

D316329-L.jpg

D316332-L.jpg

That's really nice David, thanks for posting the additional pictures. Finding an earlier example is special... for the brim width, but also to have the felt and construction from this earlier period. Great catch!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking out for a Cavanagh for quite a while.

Very happy to finally have a nice Cavanagh!

D316332-L.jpg

David; Congrats sir! It is a very handsome hat. I am so glad that it resides at your home so it can be worn with panache and be showcased on occasion on the Lounge. Your pics show a dense, subtly textured felt. Truly a classic look and felt.

Wear the Cavanagh knowing it is a beauty, Eric -

Hi Folks

Great topic and some great hats. Folks I am looking for a great Cavanaugh Fedora. I have read that a Cav Fedora in great condition with the words Cavanaugh LTD are older and more valuable then the same hat that is just marked Cavanaugh.

If this is correct, please elebrate on the reason for this difference in value.
Thank you for your time and I love learning fedoras.
Best regards
Countryclubjoe

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for the comments, guys. This is a hat I feel very lucky to have found and one I will wear regularly.

Joe, as you've probably noticed, the older hats are generally considered to be better quality and are certainly more collectible.

If you want to learn more about John Cavanagh, his companies and the hats he made, just look out for the posts by Brad Bowers - he is an authority on the subject.

There is a post by Brad earlier in this thread that shows the different Cavanagh liner logos and the years they were used, that will help you date any hat you might be interested in.

Hi DJH

Thank you for your reply. I look forward to reading Brad Bowers post and looking forward to buying and wearing my first Cav.
Best regards
Countryclubjoe

Hi Folks

I purchased a decent Cav fedora today from a dealer on etsy site. I will post some pic's when it arrives. The dealer listed the hat as early fifties.
At any rate for $35.00 and $12.00 for shipping, I feel I am getting a bargain Cav for under $50.00. Can't wait for its arrival!
Best regards
Countryclubjoe

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
As impatient and even angry I get at Americans' ignorance or refusal to use the proper name Derby, I have to remember that there is this single incidence from 1936 of my hero and his company referring to it as a Bowler. I don't know what that means, but I like to pretend that it was a typo that slipped past the advertising department before it was too late to do anything about it.

lol

Brad

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Cavanagh Rogue Milan

This is a terrific example of fine Milan craftsmanship from Cavanagh Hats. I picked this up from Robert, and I am grateful for a such a fine hat; my first Cavanagh! It still has the original factory tag for style, color, and size confirmation. Lots of great info!!

Cavanagh Milan
Style: D1437 Rogue
Color: 077 Dusk
Size: 7 1/4, 58, LO (fits like a glove!)
Brim: 1 7/8"
Ticket #: WO7727

On to the pics...

photo1-15.jpg

photo2-16.jpg

photo3-14.jpg

photo4-6.jpg

photo5-2.jpg

photo1-17.jpg

photo2-18.jpg

More interior pics to come...

Hi Folks

Well my first Cav fedora arrived today, I am very happy with the size and the condition. I will post some pics this week when time permits meaning when my smart computer savvy daughter is not busy doing homework. LOL

I'm just happy I found this new look of wearing quality hats. Class and quality never go out of style.
Thanks to all for the great info on Cav hats.
Best regards
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic