Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Circa-1930 Cavanagh Associate's Homburg

As I mentioned in the eBay thread, this hat I bought was stolen from the seller's car before it was shipped. I'm sad to lose such a specimen, but wanted to document it here for posterity's sake. This Homburg was created in the very early years of John Cavanagh, Ltd., and has a very unique liner. It was for a Cavanagh retailer (retailers were known by the company as Cavanagh Associates), with a non-standard Cavanagh liner. Because of the Cavanagh-Make stamp, this places it in the early years of John Cavanagh, Ltd., 1928-1932-ish. Is this typical of Cavanagh Associate hats circa-1930? I don't know. All other Cavanagh Associate hats I have seen used a standard Cavanagh liner, so I really wanted this one. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

CMH3,jpg.jpg CMH5.jpg CMH7.jpg

Brad

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I almost bought that, err... I wanted to buy it, too! :) I noticed the '30s dating based on the taped sweatband. The Associate liner was something I hadn't seen or known before in a Cavanagh hat, which made it equally desirable. It was a great hat, indeed, that could have been cleaned up easily. It would have been too big for me, but I wanted it as a "collection" hat. Wasn't it a 3/8? Bummer!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tommyK

One Too Many
I took a chance on this hat (very poor pics on ebay). I ussually suspect severe moth holes are being hidden. I was pleasantly surprised although it was very dirty.

_DSC1118_zpsd20f85d9.jpg _DSC1119_zpsbc14c63b.jpg

_DSC1129_zpsaaecd799.jpg _DSC1127_zps3cb2256c.jpg

initial clean up came out pretty good. I could smell tobacco as I steamed and brushed it.
Still needs a little more cleaning and a new sweatband.

_DSC1133_zpsd249f0a6.jpg

As to age, perhaps You gents could help. I'm guessing 50's maybe 60's. the sweatband is 1 7/8. Brim is 2 5/8, crown 5 3/4.

_DSC1128_zps47c3fa3e.jpg

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Forgive me if this has been addressed here or elsewhere, Do the cavanagh hats have any beaver content? As recently discussed here I've got a $20 homburg from the fifties. A lot of Stetsons were $10 in the early fifties, Open Roads from $12.50-100. Is it just the name that gets $20, special features or is there a felt quality difference?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Tommy, the name had a lot to do with it. The only Cavanaghs with any beaver content in the 1950s were the Fifty (beaver/hare blend) and the One-Hundred (100% beaver.). The same holds true for Dobbs and Knox hats of the same period. There were slight differences in the sweatbands and finishes for the lower price hats, but that's about it that I've discovered.

Brad

tommyK

One Too Many
Thank You Manofkent for the kind words and thank you Mr. Bowers for the font of knowledge. Confirms my thoughts on this, it's a nice hat but doesn't have the feel or "hand" of the few beaver blend hats I have. I think I can trust my fingers now!

Purplesage

One Too Many
Cavanagh Homburg with Carter Detatchable Sweatband

I don't know if this is the original sweatband that came on this Cavanagh since the only markings on it are the owners initials "HMS". The sweatband is detachable, a design patented by Otto Blaine Carter in 1934. It appears to have the original $12.50 price tag with the hat model "Carlton" glued to the back of the sweat. The below link is from a lounge thread devoted to the Carter Detachable Sweatband which is very interesting and informative. I initially thought this was not the original sweatband since the only information on it is the owners initials "HMS" until I checked the Patent Number 2153611 on the back of the clip attached to the sweatband seam. Patent Number 2153611 is to a J. Cavanagh Sweatband Fastening Clip which was originally filed by Cavanagh in 1937 and granted in 1939. The tag glued to the back of the sweatband looks like something that would have been put on by the manufacturer. So I guess the question is did Cavanagh or the retailer always put their own information on the hat sweatbands? I recently posted another Cavanagh in the Post New Hats thread which also has an unmarked sweatband with the exception of the owners initials. The hat is in fine condition with the exception of the liner which has some smudges on it.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?67667-Carter-Detachable-Sweatbands

photo5-84_zps9a0fbe9f.jpg

photo3-39_zpsae792ca8.jpg

photo5-67_zps4317fc94.jpg

photo3-65_zpscbbb9456.jpg

photo2-63_zps83f54683.jpg

photo5-93_zps46c031a7.jpg

photo3-53_zps2a906921.jpg

photo2-104_zps1a436e7b.jpg

photo2-64_zps5e4327d7.jpg

photo4-79_zps8db70ee0.jpg

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
J. Cavanagh Sweatband Marker and Fastening Clip Patent US2153611

This is a J. Cavanagh Sweatband Marker and Fastening Clip Patent US 2153611 which was granted in April 1939. I think this helps date the Cavanagh to the late 30s or early 40s.

US2153611-0Cavanagh_zps4171f4e7.png

The below link provides additional information on the Cavanagh Sweatband Marker and Fastening Clip.

http://www.google.com/patents/US2153611

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats